1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Otani - a ten tool player

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Member

Well then you must think every athlete out there is silly, since they all consider different factors when signing with teams. Some free agents don't go to the Utah Jazz because they don't like the nightlife. Some free agents like NY/LA because they like the night life. Charles Barkley liked Houston in part for the strip clubs. Lebron and Roger Clemens went back to Cleveland and Houston because it was their home towns. Carlos Lee came to Houston partly because it was closer to his horse ranch. Gordon Hayward partly went to Boston because he was friends with the coach.

Everyone has their own reasons for signing with teams. Again, I repeat, if you don't get that, I'd argue you're not very bright.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i get it just don't think it's as important. no chips in utah, barkley no chips, clemens got close but no chip, carlos lee stole money, so point stands. you can have stupid reasons for choosing a team and city.

3. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I'm fairly certain they changed that rule just recently specifically bc of him. Teams aren't limited anymore from what I understand.

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Teams are still limited. There wasn’t any change to the rules about team’s international signing bonus pool. If he came over in 2 years then teams would be able to spend as much as they want.

5. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

This is incorrect. They changed some of the posting fee rules, but the largest signing bonus Ohtani can get is just over $3.5MM. Once signed he's on a rookie contract. I think that's 3 pre-arb years at league minimum and 3 arb years.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They changed the rule, but almost exactly in the opposite direction. MLB team still has to pay posting fee ($20 MM maximum) to team in Japan to try to acquire him (only paid if he signs with that team). However, instead of him being able to sign for anything...he has to sign a minor league deal as he no longer is exempt from international free agent pool (changed age limit to 25 years old) and his signing bonus is limited to international free agent pool money.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

What is even being argued?

A - People can do whatever they want, and Ohtani can choose a team for any reason he chooses.

B - People can judge others for anything they want, including what they value in life.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Don't get why he'd eliminate the Astros and not the Rangers... same with Cole Hamels too, what gives? We just one a World Series too, by the way.

9. msn

msn Member

And hopefully soon we'll two a World Series! :cool::cool:

mikol13 and Houstunna like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Because being judgmental is usually a bad trait to have, especially when you don't know the full story. For all we know, Otani could have a girlfriend that only wants to live in these cities. There are other considerations besides your own when making life changing choices. Being on the West Coast may make it easier for his family or friends to visit him. I get that he's (going to be) rich but rich people don't want to spend extra money on things when there is a choice in the matter. Furthermore the weather in all these cities is way better (besides Dallas).

There are millions of plausible reasons that he would prefer specific teams in those cities. If you don't actually know, then don't criticize.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I agree with you. I think Ohtani should go wherever he wants for whatever reason he wants, but people can have whatever opinion they want, regardless of if its a bad trait.

moonsh0t likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Upside to LA, Arlington, and Seattle being in the mix for Ohtani is that it may stall their offseason. The teams that have limited payroll (remember even though he will make squat himself, Ohtani will still cost whichever team signs him the $20M posting fee) might have to forego making other moves until they know Ohtanis final decision.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros - World Series Champs - are not even mentioned among the possible destinations.

Maybe Gurriel's actions are playing a role.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's friends with Darvish and Yu liked the Rangers organization as far as I know. He can offer recommendations with the franchise and city.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Rangers, Cubs, and Padres have the most personal connections with Ohtani and the people closest to him. The Rangers scouted him heavily as an amateur. AJ Preller (now with the Padres) was with the Rangers at that time. The Mariners have Japanese owners, which is likely a primary reason (combined with their proximity to Japan) that they are considered the front runners. The Giants are playing on location (San Fran is close to Japan and has a huge Japanese population). The Angels and Dodgers probably have the smallest chance of getting him; they are in a huge market and lack the history/connections. In order, Id handicap it at Mariners, Padres, Rangers, Giants, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers. But of course I was all but certain he’d be a Yankee.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm don't see why he would go to a NL team. I know he can play in the field. But if a MLB team is going to let him bat regularly it makes a whole lot more sense to do so as a platoon DH than as a platoon OF on days he is not pitching.

It also means freeing up practice time working on fielding, given how much time it will take to warm up as a pitcher and BP.

#216 rpr52121, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The only team that seems to meet all the requirements is Seattle unfortunately. Mid-size market, DH, West Coast. Rangers would be second in my opinion. If he truly does not want big city. Otherwise, I would say Angels are in the mix. In any case, he is assuredly going to be in our division.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Padres or Mariners, I think...just based off all the stuff that's out there.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If he truly wants to play both ways, I can't see an NL team. Playing the field consistently and pitching every 5th day, it seems, would be hard for any organization to agree to up front, whereas, a shot a dh would not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.