1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Otani - a ten tool player

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

What if I told you(him) that he could continue to play baseball in Japan...

2. Major

Major Member

In this case, I see no need to judge him. He can do what makes him happiest. I don't judge you for choosing to live wherever you live or eating whatever you eat or liking whatever things you like to do.

3. Major

Major Member

I/he would probably think you're not very bright.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He can always make that decision. However, signs point to him wanting to play in the majors and that he values things above money as the deciding factors for where he will play.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you wouldn't judge me if i turned down millions of dollars to live in a place that had better hotdogs? What if it turned out the best hotdogs were sold in some war ridden country in the middle east? Would you judge me if i gave up my security and that of my family's to live in a place with better hotdogs?

Not sure why I can't judge someone by what they value in life. That's absolutely what I judge people by. Fro example I absolutely judge commies who put country above all.

#185 tallanvor, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. ipaman

I wonder why, I heard there is a healthy Japanese population in Japan and decent Japanese food too.

If you want to play in MLB than logistics, population, food, are out the window. You go where it's best for your baseball career period. If you those things are more or just as important than stay where the logistics, people, food are perfect.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

"When somebody says it’s not about the money, _______________."

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why is he meeting NL teams? Does he want to hit?

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Things are not simplistic and get weighed on different scales. As such, logistics, food, population are not out the window, but taken into account with other factors like baseball career. Considering the situation, he should be able to get almost anything he wants...whatever that may be.

Nook likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

...the money is close enough between options that other factors drive the issue. Considering he's not waiting (the most money option), I'm guessing his endorsement deals are such that the signing bonus won't matter much.

#190 Joe Joe, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. Major

Major Member

Not at all. If it makes you happy, why the hell do I care? Lots of people turn down money to do things that are more important to them. Do you judge Doctors Without Borders people for giving up cushy lives to go help people too? Who are you to decide what should or should make someone else happy?

Like I said, I think people would wonder why you aren't very bright.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Otani could make a lot, lot more money if he just stayed in Japan for the next 2 years.

Him coming over isn't financial because teams are very limited with what they can pay him.

I'm pretty sure he does want to hit. AL teams would seem to have the advantage because he can DH on his off days, in the NL he would have to take the field. AL teams aren't forced to use the DH, so he could also hit for himself in the AL.

13. ipaman

We have no right to decide but having a whole list of things that are important (aside from baseball) is silly to me. Teams play 162 games and travel all over the country to play. Spring training is also in different cities/regions. From late February to end of September you could potentially spend more time away from "home" than you will at "home." So again and just imo, it's silly to consider population and food for example. The price you pay for making millions playing a game.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Of course I judge Doctors without borders. I judge them in a positive light for valuing others lives over their own. Most people judge them (I think that's why you chose the example). Like I said, I always judge people by what they value and their choices.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No, you go where you think you'll be the happiest. That means different things for different people.

16. ipaman

read my recent post, no matter where he "lives" he will be in planes and hotels for a time period of 7-8 months for likely slightly more than half his time.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. baubo

baubo Member

This is probably the best plausible news for the Astros with the Yankees out of the running. Angels/Mariners/Rangers being in it was always likely.

Here's hoping he goes to the Padres and not really affect our title chances in the near future.

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

3 AL West clubs and no Astros. Dang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.