1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shiner Ruby Redbird

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So THAT'S why you e-hate me? Because I choose to live in the Loop and close to work?

Outstanding...

BTW- I'm not a fan of Grapefruit whatsoever, but for some reason this beer, to me is just the perfect beer for a hot summer day. Big fan.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't hate you, dude. :confused:

3. LonghornFan

4. Buck Turgidson

Apparently the winky-smileyface was too subtle.

5. LonghornFan

It was sarcasm, sorry I didn't put up an emoticon. I really don't like those things.

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't either, but I've learned that I pretty much have to use them or people will misunderstand my intent & tone.

Back on topic, still think Black is their best beer, don't like fruity beer so didn't care for this one. Tried Deep Eddy's Ruby Red vodka recently, way too sweet for me.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm a shiner fan but ruby red didn't do it for me. never went back to it after my first six pack.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm still wanting to try a Shiner Black ice cream float.

9. Buck Turgidson

oh hell! and...how high were you when you thought of this?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not terribly...they recommended it at the brewery.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ruby redbird is possibly the most divisive beer ever made. people either like it or hate it. there is no middle ground. personally, i think its great and drink quite a bit of it over the summer months. im a big shiner fan though. i never drink the bock, but i really like the others that they make.

i was in D.C. a couple months ago and had a couple different radlers, which i found to be refreshingly delicious as well. radler is german for "rider" and is popular with cyclists there. it is beer mixed with a fruit soda. the one i liked alot was by stiegl and it had grapefruit. drank a few of those after doing a 10 mile hike out in the mountains west of there and they hit the spot. radlers apparently are not very popular here in texas - the only one i found was one by sam adams...it is with lemon though and not nearly as good as the stiegl.

[​IMG]

12. Buck Turgidson

Brilliant. Will try.

13. Buck Turgidson

Never had one. I will say that a good shandy on a hot day (I prefer lemonade or ginger beer) or for a weekend bbq breakfast beer, is quite nice.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

May be in the area on the 20th. The women wants to camp a night for our birthday weekend. Thinking Pedernales State Park...would you recommend? Just to keep on topic, I will probably drink 15 Shiners (and I've found our Josef Hoffbauer aka the Hostetler replacement) that day.

15. Buck Turgidson

Haven't been down to that part of the Pedernales recently, doubt there's much water though. (We did get an inch and a half of rain last night, woohoo). I can check. Inks Lake is always nice, I can loan yall my canoe.

I will buy a 6pack of some Shiner product this afternoon. Thank yall for the inspiration.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

One of friends recently went to Inks and wasn't impressed, but I trust you more. I'll let you know if we end up in the area and I'll buy you one or two Shiners.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Like the beer. Second another poster here wishing they sold Prickly Pear in sixers.

18. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Not a huge fan of the Ruby Redbird. Got the first case of Oktoberfest this past weekend though. Starting September off right.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Guadalupe River State Park is nice too. It'll have nice cool water, too...and a convenience store close by that likely sells Shiner.

20. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

While I admittedly have a strong bias towards Ruby Redbird, the more frustrating part is that seemingly all summer seasonal brews, which I also enjoy, are now no longer available - despite the fact that we'll be dealing with summer time temperatures for at least another month. Although northern breweries may be rolling out their fall seasonals already, I figured that being from Texas, the good folks at Shiner would recognize a good summer brew is still needed beyond Labor Day.

Even though it is small consolation for me at this point, the media has apparently picked up on this disturbing trend and wrote an article on the matter that was released earlier today. I'm hoping the craft breweries take notice and make their summer lagers & ales available for a longer portion of the year - especially in Texas...