1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shawn Bradley is a Legend

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 3814, Nov 9, 2002.

1. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

11 points, 8 rebounds, 8 BLOCKS.

Don't tell me that if Yao got those stats, you wouldn't be bragging. The thing is...people seem to say how much Bradley sucks all the time, yet he's actually a pretty decent player...sure a 7'6 guy could be alot more dominant if he was as strong as a Shaq or somethin, but Bradley is a decent player.

Look at his statline this year so far: over 8ppg, over 8 rpg, and a nice amount of blocks to go with it. If Yao had those stats everybody would be pretty happy.

The thing is...Yao will be a better player, he has a great future...but the negative comments that Bradley gets all the time are somewhat unfair IMO.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Great point, Bradley really isnt nearly as bad as everone makes him sound. He gets a lot of rebounds and blocked shots in the somewhat limited minutes he sees. He may not be the most agressive player but he still has a defensive presence. He was a #2 overall pick but there have been much bigger busts than him.

KT

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has gotten fitter and is playing with a better attitude this year.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Perhaps maybe Chandler and Curry aren't as good as some people think?

Bradley never was a bad player. He just never lived up to the hype of being 7'6". Bradley plays on a team that doesn't require him to be a traditonal post player - they have plenty of other weapons.

He took 5 shots, went to the FT line twice and had 2 assists. That looks like a minimum of 9 touches. Perhaps Yao Ming would put up better numbers with 10-12 touches in (Bradley's) 31 minutes.

#4 GATER, Nov 9, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2002
  5. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Maybe Dallas would like another 7-6 guy? I would give them Ming for Nash.....just joking....well maybe I'm not.

6. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

guess we know who the better 7'6" guy is...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I said clearly in my first post, that Ming will be the better player, it's just that so many people who bash Ming saying that he'll suck, compare him to Bradley.

I honestly think Yao will be great even by the later part of this season.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Bradley has put up decent stats before but he has a bad habbit of dissapearing and taking himself out of gamse with foul trouble. Plus he is so uncoordinated that he just looks bad. He has also had a problem of having any success against top tier centers.

9. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Only prolom I have with Ming and I think it will be a problem over his whole career is that he is not aggressive. It think that will keep him from being a super star, but he will be better than Bradley.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Did Bradley ever make the crowd go nuts....

That's the difference.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Bradley is a solid player, always has been. He has a shot-blocker title and can rebound. When Sacramento was destroying Dallas' inside game last year in the playoffs I couldn't understand why Nelson didn't run a frontline of Dirk, Bradley and LaFrentz. They may not have won the series but they may have won another game or two and made it interesting. If anything Bradley brings defense and rebounding.

<b>Only prolom I have with Ming and I think it will be a problem over his whole career is that he is not aggressive. It think that will keep him from being a super star, but he will be better than Bradley.</b>

From all acounts Ming is an aggressive player, but this is his first time in the NBA facing players like this, and he didn't have any preseason camp so it's not that he isn't aggressive it's that he doesn't know the plays. If being aggressive is the only thing keeping him from being a superstar, then he's going to be a superstar.

12. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I just saying that he is very calm and timid. And yes that could make you not a super star. Ming may be able to shoot the lights out but if he does not get aggressive then it could keep you from getting a few extra rebounds or blocks or points. I think Ming will put up around 15ppg and 10rpg through his career which I think will be fine.

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You can't judge a player on his first few weeks in the league because McGrady and Dirk were calm and timid, but in the past they had a history of being aggressive, and once they matured they became really aggressive. Ming is the same way, Ming has a reputation for being aggressive, but like McGrady and Dirk he has to gain confidence. Once he does he'll be aggressive. Ming actually reminds me a lot of Jermaine O'Neal and Kenyon Martin. They were aggressive players coming into the league but they tended to hold back because they weren't used to the league and they were playing teams and playing against players for the first time in their careers, and they weren't physically ready for the league. But once they went around the league and learned, got their feet wet, and mentally and physically matured they were their old selves and were aggressive and physical. Ming will do the same thing. You can't be as confident and successful and smart as Ming has been in basketball without being aggressive.

#13 RocksMillenium, Nov 10, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  14. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

That is an excellent point, and I completely agree that Yao will fit into that category when all is said, and done. I think the thing that Rocket fans have to remember though is that it took both Dirk, and McGrady about 2 1/2 - 3 years to develope. Just be patient Rocket fans Yao will get there.

As for Bradley ... another reason I think he gets dumped on so much is his tendency to get posterized. People are so enamored with the dunk that they forget that it's only worth 2 points.

The reason Nellie didn't put Bradley in last years series against the Kings is because Bradley had the worst year of his career. Divac would have eaten him alive. If Bradley keeps playing like he has so far he may be a factor in another Kings/Mavs series.

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

I was watching the Mavs games and they mentioned that Bradley had a 22 pt, 22 rebound, 13 block game against the Blazers once :eek:

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He had a pretty nice night tonight as well. Something like 17 rebounds.

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea I just watched that game and he looks good...I just waived genoblee and picked him up in my fantasy league.

I already was leading blocks with 11 points..now I should have blocks sewn up for the year with Mutombo,Kwame and now Bradley.

18. leehoang

leehoang Member

yeah, sure he a legend alright.:eek:

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Bradley tore it up tonight. Its unfair that he has the reputation that he has.

20. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

From NBA.com:

4/7/98 vs. Portland registered his sixth career triple-double, scoring 22 points with a career-high tying 22 rebounds and a career-high 13 blocks in 38 minutes off the bench....Became just the fifth player in NBA history and first off the bench to tally 20-plus points, 20-plus rebounds and 10-plus blocks in a single game (also Abdul-Jabbar, Olajuwon, Elvin Hayes, and Shaquille O'Neal)....That effort also established a club record for blocks in a game and an NBA season-high for blocks in a single game (and fourth highest total for a single game in NBA history)....

:eek: :eek:

Pretty good company there...