1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Share your experience(s) with prejudice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Sep 21, 2020.

1. droxford

droxford Member

This thread is an opportunity for you to share your personal experience(s) as a victim of social prejudice.

This can help others understand the struggles that many people in our society have encountered.

Please do not post stories of "my friend had this happen to them" or "I heard about somebody...". Please post only your experience(s), not those of others.

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'll share a story. I wasn't a victim though. When I was in kindergarten I used to play with some friends who were black after school. One day they had their cousins over and were playing football in the front yard and asked me to play. During the game I yelled "run N, run!!..." - I'd heard it from my dad watching football. I got the **** beat out of me by the older kids for about a good 30minutes until the father came out and walked me home. I remember him telling my dad what I'd said and I remember me crying, asking what did I do wrong. I deserved the beating. My dad deserved to see his kid come home beaten and bloodied. I think he gave me a do what I say, not as I do speech or something. But it served as a early lesson to me because I was really hurt that the kids wouldn't play with me anymore, or they weren't allowed. I also remember my Mom correcting my grandfather after that saying, 'we don't use those words'. My kids are 10 and 13 and I'm not sure if they've heard those words outside of slang on Youtube or maybe in a movie. I'd like to believe there's progress with each generation and now, I feel we've regressed because of what's happened in MN and the countless other incidents.

Probably not what the OP was looking for but it's an experience that had value.

3. droxford

droxford Member

Did the father see you getting beat up and just let it happen?

4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

The kids' father walked me home and rang the doorbell with me. He told them what happened and told my dad maybe it's a good idea that we don't play together anymore. He had to be embarrassed. I know him well enough that I'm pretty sure he was.

If you're talking about the kids' father - No....he jumped in quickly. He handled himself with class as far as I'm concerned.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In Marine boot camp I was slammed against the wall by one of my drill instructors where he demanded me to answer whether I'm a spy for Muslims.

When my senior drill instructor handed me my EGA at our ceremony right after the crucible, he shakes my hands and told me to make sure not to spill any secrets to the enemy.

I went to a indoor shooting range with a Marine budy of mine in Maine. When I entered, the range owner behind the counter asked my friend if I can be trusted. We walked out immediately after.

There's also the general aura of so many people eye balling you when I go to one of my Marine buddies' house parties with their family and friends who never have interacted with people who look like me. I think Black people can understand that feeling when they walk into a place like a department store. It's that similar feeling of uneasiness where people are just afraid to approach you and mean mug you.

My mother has run into a few encounters as a hijabi but you said those don't count as it's not me so I guess I won't include those.

#5 fchowd0311, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    mikol13, Ziggy and malakas like this.
  6. fchowd0311

A common myth that is expressed by conservatives in this country is believing that the term "******" being socially not acceptable anymore means racism is solved.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Took my granddaughter on the train downtown 2 years ago. We were the only 2 white people on the train car of about 25 people. After a couple of stops a young African American came right over to me and my 4 year old granddaughter and screamed **** white people. All of the older people turned away and some of the younger people actually snickered.

My granddaughter knew the F word was bad but had no idea what he meant about white people. She sees people as people.

That was her introduction to racism.

8. fchowd0311

I doubt that. Black people are often afraid to approach white families from fear of being seen as a threat.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When I was in Kindergarten, a few other little children called me "Chinese" (I'm half Korean, this was in rural Germany). I didn't know what they were talking about as I didn't realize at that age that I looked a bit different, but I didn't like it, so I beat them up. That ended that quickly. After Kindergarten? I can genuinely say I cannot recall any instance of having been subjected to prejudice. Might be because my racial background isn't even super obvious to everyone, but I also really don't think about it. And I think most people, at least in the circles I frequent, come from an international background and don't have racial prejudice. Some of my very good friends make "Asians have small penises" jokes when we're drunk, but I'm not offended by it because first of all, I am not affected by that and secondly, I know it's just said in jest, I call them other stuff, so yeah, whatever.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

You doubt what? It happened exactly like I said it did.

11. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

So he made it up? Wow!

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Who said racism is solved? Did you just make up a ‘common myth’?
    I think you just did. You can now pass that myth on as if it’s real......like you just tried to do. Go for it. It’s yours now.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

Terrible. So many instances of this kind of unaccountable "intimidation techniques" when I was growing up poor ... only made worse by media pandering to it, empowering it, instead of calling it out for the hate fuelled racism it is. Real world successful AA's hate it, but the media ignores them.
    How old was she?

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was at Ihop late at night with a bunch of my friends from work. We were pulled over and every one of my friends, Hispanic, were thrown against the car, asked to provide proof of residence, and searched

They asked me to sit on the curb.

Joke was on them, I was the only one carrying a fake green card (it was my fake ID).

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Growing in Alief in the 80s when it was still mostly white, I was constantly picked on by white kids calling me gook in elementary school. I had no idea what that even meant, never mind they got the race wrong. Thinking back, I really understand now why racism will never go away when you have racist kids at 7-8 years old. Had my backpack and money stolen from my locker, probably by the same kids, but couldn't prove it.

Driving through west Texas in the 80s, and having an entire restaurant stop and stare at your family was pretty eye opening too.

We moved to Sugar Land later where it's basically 30% Asian, but still got targeted. My friends and I were hooping in a cul de sac, and some white kids nearly ran us over (we had to jump out of the way). That was really ****ed up because someone could have gotten seriously hurt.

I was in my friends car when we got randomly pulled over by the cops (in Sugar Land). Basically first time interacting with police. They claimed they were looking for a similar car and did the whole check the trunk and backseat. We were in my friends subdivision at the time, so I guess based on where the car was registered in, they let us go without hassling too much. Not sure if that was profiling, but the stop was probably unwarranted.

And that's just things that occur directly in my face discrimination. No idea how insidious or pervasive it runs when you have systematic things like hiring managers or being passed over for promotions.

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude are you now an expert on black people?

Stuff like this happens all the time just look at youtube, I could see this happening especially with them being the only white people.

You do no a service by making statements like this and you disrespect black people by acting like we are all scared of white people.

Thats a statement from the 50's.

body slam and Jayzers_100 like this.
  18. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

4. She is about to turn 6 now. We wrote that incident off as that man saying bad words and moved on.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been called Chink, Gook, Nip, Jap, Slope, Slant Eyed, Yellow, Shovel Face, Kamikaze, Hiroshima (it was after a documentary on the A-Bombs was shown when I was in high school), fried rice, Flied Lice, and shrimp in lobster sauce.. I've been told to go back to China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Philippines and even Mexico.. I once had a potential landlord ask me if he was just renting to me or if I was going to let a lot of others move in because Chinese folk like to crowd together.

I have been called the N-word as an insult by a white person and as a compliment by some black kids.

Those are the things that I'm pretty aware of there have been plenty of situations at school and at work where I've noticed I was treated differently and strongly suspect prejudice played a role. I was once pulled over by LE and had my car searched with no reason given. I fully complied. I was stopped in my own neighborhood by a plainclothes and questioned about break-ins into garages. According to the LEO I was walking funny.

One of the problems with being a minority is that often you don't know why someone is treating you the way they do.

foh, Exiled, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

On Sunday I was told to "go back to your own country" and take my ideas with me.

IBTL likes this.