1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shanghai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimbaud, May 31, 2010.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I'll be going to China at the end of the week - most of the time in Shanghai (maybe two days in Beijing slapped onto the end, but mostly Shanghai).

Does anyone have experience or knowledge? Must sees? Must avoids? The World Expo is there so that will be one diversion but I am also interested in food.

I will not be eating any Italian or the like so no need for those types of Western suggestions. I think about as far away from China cuisine-wise I would want to go is Japanese, Korean, or Thai. Best area for xiao chi in general...bao/baozi specifically?

Thanks for any help. Obviously, I can find this stuff on websites but I like to see what people I "know" like as well.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Golden Pond club

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

- Park Hyatt/Grand Hyatt: Visit the top floor bars for great views and good cocktails. The view from the lobby of the Grand Hyatt in the Jin Mao tower (fourth largest building in the world, I believe) to the upper floors alone is already pretty impressive
    - fake market: I found it an interesting experience, but better find out the real prices beforehand, otherwise you pay like 50 times as much (still much cheaper than the original, but...). I bought some ties there for like $ 1 per tie.
    - M on the Bund is a pretty cool expat place at night or at least used to be. I don't remember what kind of food they had, but they had a nice terrace from which you could overlook the Bund.
    - we had a guided walking tour of the old town, but I am not sure the streets/houses we visited even still exist, as they rapidly have to make way for new skyscrapers. But I definitely found that interesting.
    - If you have SPG status, Royal Meridien Shanghai is not a bad choice.

That's from the top of my head and I realize it is rather touristy/hotel-centric. We saw more of the "real" Shanghai because one of my friends lives there as an expat, problem is, I don't remember the details.

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I highly recommend going to Beijing and some nearby cities if you appreciate historical/cultural places. Shanghai IMO was just another glamorous and very modern Asian city. For specific things, just Google the place.

I had a rent a car with a driver, and that was very helpful in hindsight because I had about 3 days to kill after my business was done to do a little sight-seeing in northern China.

Cities like Chengde, Nanjing, Xian (very cheap flight from Beijing though the crowds must be in full force this time of the year), etc.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

One thing, under no circumstances hop into a car of one of the unlicensed taxi drivers who will hassle you when you arrive at the airport - I was so tired that I did and the guy wanted to rip me off bigtime (I googled the appropriate fare from my mobile phone on the way) - got into an argument with the guy and he stopped in the middle of the highway and kicked me out of the car, amazing first experience in China.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The location is out of my hands. That is why we are adding two days on the end to go to Beijing, though. Otherwise, I have to be in Shanghai and I fully understand it is not of the same historic importance and that, further, is why I just want good food.

SJC,

Yeah, I really wish I had an "in" who lived there. This is the first time I will have traveled anywhere where I don't have a strong-ish understanding of city, culture, etc. I grew up in a heavily Asian neighborhood so am better than average (white American), but I have always preferred to blend in as much as possible with regards to language and culture in my travels so this aspect of the trip is annoying me because I obviously can't.

Understood about the taxis. I am sure the scams will be in extra gear because of the World Expo as well.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

With regard to food, it all depends on how adventurous you are. We were taken to a restaurant that was frequented by the locals. Regrettably, I am one of those steak and potato guys who really doesn't eat anything he doesn't know, so I pretty much ate rice with soy sauce at the place...but my friends seemed to enjoy the food. With no offense to our Chinese friends here, I read somewhere that once Chinese people encounter something they have never seen before, they will first try to eat it ;).

If you look for Korean BBQ, there are a few decent places across the road from the Jin Mao tower, next to some "serious" massage parlors (no happy end there, I think).

I just remember that I have been in Shanghai twice...wish I'd remember more. It's a very busy city and you need to be careful in traffic, I found it worse than Naples (Italy)...

8. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Go to Nanxiang Mantou Dian for soup dumplings. Go to the top floor. It is more pricey than the 1st floor so the line is shorter but with your American income, it will be the price of a regular meal. The ground floor is like take out quality and cheaper but the line is much longer.

People don't speak much English there either. At least they didn't 5 years ago. And sadly, Yao Ming is more popular in Houston than Shanghai.

And make sure you eat some hairy leg crab if it is in season. It is like $20-$30 for one crab the size of a blue crab but it is delicious.

9. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Yep my family's in Shanghai and I can give you a few tips.

-If you're looking for good shopping places, Five Corner Centre is really good and so is Nanjing Road; however the prices will be pretty expensive and don't expect to haggle them down as this really isn't tolerated here. Around Five Corner Centre, there's a huge food store with Sangji Mantou and a food chain called Saizeriya. Honestly the best food I've tasted in Shanghai. Look also for a chain called Da Niang Dumpling大娘水饺. This is real Chinese food, not the Chinese takeaway you get in America. Anywhere around the Yangpu District is good in Shanghai.
    -Get a taxi with '大众‘. Most trustworthy Taxi company in Shanghai and won't let you down.
    -MUST try the EVERYTHING food related at the City God Temple(城隍庙). You have to try the small dragon dumplings(小籠包). It won't be hard to spot as people usually line up over 100 metres long just to get a taste.
    -Of course you're going to Expo so check that out :)
    -DO NOT give in to the beggers. They target foreign people for money and it's well known that they are all running an inside business making more money than the average person.

It's honestly probably the best place to visit in China.

If you are staying for one week, I would recommend you take 2500 renminbi for accomodation, food, travel and some small souveneirs. Very cheap and affordable. Also well worth the money.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you go to Club Obi Wan, watch out for Lao Che. He will poison your drink and want something in return for the antidote. If you're smart you will pick up a 10-year-old sidekick and have him wait outside in a convertible for you, just in case you have to jump out of the window and need something to fall into.

[​IMG]

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Iono bout that... whatever you do, don't take that kid to any pits with collapsing sharp blades. 10 year old sidekicks are trouble, they could get you killed.

14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yao Ming's Restaurant :grin:

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member