1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShangHai Sharks talked about Yao and Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lovethisgametoo, Jun 6, 2002.

1. lovethisgametoo

Li Yaomin, the GM of ShangHai Sharks, Yao's current team, talked about Yao's NBA future today.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2002-06-06/06279720.shtml

What he said is ,

1. It will be a big loss for the Sharks with Yao going to NBA (but he didn't say Shanghai will not release Yao);

2. 'We' (Shanghai) trained Yao to be a star and yes, 'We' want some returns from the team drafting him;

3. 'We' feel that it is TOO EARLY for Houston to send people here to talk and the ideal time for them to come to talk with us will be AFTER the draft (!!!! Is he nuts??)

4. 'We' need to make it very clear that it is us, it is ShangHai Sharks that will decide where Yao will go, not a certain NBA team, not his so-called agents (Fu*k you, Li !!!)

5. ShangHai Shark will follow strictly the regulations of Chinese BB Management Center to handle Yao's new contract (i.e. about 3/4 of Yao's income will go to Chinese government).

Having been around the board for a while and I think I am among the firmest Yao lovers, but DO I THINK HOUSTON HAVE THE HEART TO DRAFT YAO THE FIRST PICK? I am not sure, and I am not confident if I were CD. Tell you what I really want to happen:

get Yao here first and help him defect!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See, He is coMING alone after fu*king ShangHai Sharks and Chinese BB MC!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Helloooooooooo Odom!!

3. lovethisgametoo

Is it a language barrier or what?? I just read the 'same' report in English at

http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=999

I have to ask myself: who is lying, sina.com (Chinese number one news network) or Clutchcity.net? Or are they talking about the same thing?

To those who understand Chinese: do I mis-tranlate the article from sina.com.cn?

4. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Dude, Communism rocks!!!!

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

lovethisgametoo, you're giving us updated information. Clutch's link was siphoned through the Associated Press late last night. Li's words today are more inflammatory, but not inconsistent.

6. lovethisgametoo

That is fast, man. It took me three years to get rid of 'junior' at work, but just took me 30 posts to get rid of 'junior' here, amazing!! Will I get a 'senior' in another 30 posts??

Go, Senior Member, Lovethisgametoo!!

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I believe there's something in Mao's little red book about the uppity bush-league GM who tries to stand in the way of what a billion people, their iron-fisted government, and a huge global corporate sports marketing empire want.

Dear Mr. Li: If you thought our season was a tank job, wait till you see what's rumbling down your street.

8. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

1. Is it up to the Sharks to release Ming? I may be wrong, but I thought his contract was up.

2. "Returns" can encompass a broad band of possibilities. Playing with the Rox in exibitions, having coaching seminars to share NBA like strategies, ect. If it means even remotely trying to pry more than what is allowed by the NBA collective Bargaining agreement as in money, another player, or too much of Mings contract then I say we all point a great big middle finger to the Sharks all at once, trade the pick to the Denver Nuggets (after we draft him) and see what they think of that!

3. Ok my attempt at humor here. Only a freaking communist could make a statement like this. After the draft. LOL, what thriving business or world economical structure works like this?

4. NO, it will be the draft order and how the potential trades work after that which will decide where Ming goes. If you feel it isnt the right place then try pulling his ass out of the draft afterwards and explaining to the chinese government why you just cost them literally millions of dollars in Mings salary, endorsements, and NBA deals. Something tells me that when it all boils down to it, the Government is going to have WAY more say as to what happens with Ming than you do.

5. The only bit of this that actually may be factual, and non abrasive.

Someone stop the Sharks madness. If this is thread is correct, then someone needs to seriously put a backhand the the Sharks management. What are they thinking other than how they can screw this up any more than they are trying to do already.

9. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

"We want returns in training him"

What the hell is that? Yao is the man with skills. It's not exactly the Chinese team honed his skills. If they did then he would be much bigger and would have a bigger post up game. Okay they may have added to his finesse game, but I think the TEAM is taking too much credit for Yao's blessed abilities. The return the TEAM is seeking is some of Yao's contract. This is ludicrous!!!

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

...and so does American Bandstand. :rolleyes:

11. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Hello Caron Butler.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's gonna be the 3-way trade.

We need to squeeze Jerry Krause by the balls (not that I volunteer: yech!) because what he has done (and I am not the first on the board to use this word) is no less than collusion. David Stern can partly hide behind "there is no precedent for this sort of transaction" but he doesn't want to mess up Yao Ming coming to the NBA.

Jerry can have Yao, if he coughs up next year's #1. LAC can have Jay Williams, if they take Rice and give up Odom, Maggette, #8 and #12.

13. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

All right the clipps are known to smoke some crack before making deals and letting talent walk, but theyd have to be smoking crack, hitting a bong, drunk, and have a shotgun pointed to their heads to make that deal.

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Let me get this straight: These kooks want assurances that Ming will be the #1 pick, while at the same time they will decide who Ming plays for?

this has to be a prank.

:rolleyes:

15. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

DreamShake,

I love the Chinese, and I am a Chinese. However, never trust the freaking Chinese Government. Contract? What? There is no such thing called the spirit of contract in China. When they say it is up to them, it IS up to them, not the contract.

Damn it! :mad:

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its not the government. The government doesn't give a rat's ass where he plays. It's the "capitalistic" sharks who want to milk this for all its worth.

17. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

It's true, literally. But may I add, The Sharks and the Chinese Government are kind of ... hooked ...

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Did'nt Luke Longley's Australian team demand where he played and half his contract?:rolleyes:
    C- BU he's the real deal cheaper price and most likely a lot more durable than the Ming Shark- You have to feel sorry for Ming you know he thinks this is complete bullshucks. Communism catch the fever!

19. harumph

harumph Member

Luc Longley BOUGHT an australian bball team (perth wildcats) for less than half his contract :) (BTW he was drafted out of a US college by Minn)

20. Stevie Francis

i bet if chi, or gs got the first pick the chines would not be saying all this stuff about him not being there for us, and us giving them a player. They don't want us to draft Yao.