1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shandon Finding His Niche

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MManal, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MManal

MManal Member

I have noticed over the last 2-3 wks that Shandon is really finding his niche with this team. He has started to play off the initiators of the offense, Mobley and Francis real well. He has gone back to the slashing aspect of his game that he exhibited last year and is utilizing a runner to finish when he drives the lane and sometimes a stop and pop move. Also, in addition to that, he has been getting more opportunities in transition which is something he is natural at. I would still like to see Steve do a better job of pushing the ball in the open court and giving it up at the proper time, but the transition game is better now than it was earlier imho. Shandon appears a lot more comfortable in the offense than he did earlier in the season.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. Thanos

Thanos Member

Hmmm... i wonder if a 666 post that starts a thread may not bring the wrath of a 7th level demon upon us [​IMG]

seriously, i´m happy for Shandon as well. Reading Nietzsche can do wonders for anyone, and it sure is helping Shandon a lot.

REALLY seriously, Shandon is once again proving that he is a strong finisher when he slashes.

let´s hope he can keep it up. I still think he is very important to the team and i would hate to see him leave. As level-headed as he is, at some time frustration had to set in. Glad to see he came out of his funk.

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shandon is so good at moving without the ball(like in Utah,alllll the time)and I don't think the Rockets have utilized that enough.I would hope and think as Stevie continues to progress we'll see more of that....He always brings that great d on the 2's.Yeah getting the ball at the right time is a BIG deal.How much of that was Stockon's amazing passing and grasp for the game...Man!...That was hard to say!!I will always hate the Jazz!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 10, 2001).]

4. wink3

wink3 Member

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone. Re-signing Shan should be priority #1 this offseason.

------------------
    "Cuttino is all heart, and no brain. It just occurs to me that he is the Scare Crow from the Wizard of Oz."- a wise observation from Dadakota

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the thought that Shandon was too
    small to play the 3 were off.
    I think he is flourishing there which
    maybe [even unknown to him] his natural
    position.

Since his handles are suspect
    and he has a decent shot and moves
    well without the ball . . sounds
    like a SF to me.

Rocket River

------------------

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

I agree that SA can guard those threes most of the time and the ones he can't,nobody can for the most part...and you right, he is a well rounded player.

------------------

7. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Shandon definitely brings another dimension to this team. Hes the closest thing we have to a hard-nosed specimen, physically oppressive, hes capable of producing wear and tear on a smaller guards body by jockeying and positoning with them, forcing them out of their usual offensive familiarities.

hardwood, are you related in anyway to HardwoodHammer from the original Clutchcity.com?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited January 10, 2001).]

8. Plowman

Supporting Member

Guilty as charged ROCKETBOOSTER!!!Good to see you again.

------------------

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I tried leaving for a while myself but things didn't go as planned - I was weak. hee -hee

Welcome back man!!

------------------

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Shandon also has Finals experience. If the Rockets make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the team in scoring in postseason play.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."