1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Rockets emerge as possible suitor for Lakers’ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's what I was thinking. So if you have to move Knight and 1st to get KCP........

The final tally to rid ourselves of Ryan Anderson would be (Melton+1st). But if KCP leaves, you have nothing.

Alternatively, there was talk in the summer of Ryan Anderson (Melton + 1st) for Kent Bazemore. If the Rockets did that deal, they would have 1 more year of team control of Bazemore at the cost of giving up the 1st (whereas they don't with KCP).

heypartner and D-rock like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. As funny as this is, it's also Morey's strategy to always kick the can with assets. Letting teams dump overvalued contracts on you is a way to get some extra value out of them. But in this case, we've been digging ourselves out from under that strategy one too many times in a row. It's hard for us to dump those if we suddenly need to do so earlier than expected, and other teams know that.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

KCP + MCW = CHAMPIONSHIP

Do you think we can also get MKG and WCS?

4. Nook

Nook Member

If I am a team being asked to take Knight from the Houston Rockets, I want 2 first round draft picks with virtually no protections on them. That is even assuming my owner will take on the obligation of $15,000,000 next season.

5. basketballholic

This is about the contract guys. No need to discuss how well he fits as a player. He's good enough in comparison to what we've been running out there. Better than Ennis. Enough said on that. Concentrate on the contract...that's what this is about.

If we can get KCP, JR, Austin Rivers, Alec Burks, Jeremy Lin, ROLO, even Faried or Gortat PLUS another smaller expiring like Ben McLemore/Jason Smith..for Knight/Melo/second/plus possibly a small asset like Hartenstein....then that's a plus for us. Huge plus for us headed to the trade deadline.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Then change our name from Rockets to Anagrams.

Williamson and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That's all I'm saying! It isn't fair! The talented Academy Award winning actress, Anne Hathaway gets it! We are all Anne Hathaway!

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Any chance at LBJ?

clutchdabear, D-rock and tc0330 like this.
  9. basketballholic

That's not the market. The market is in taking advantage of teams trying to get under the cap, and create trade exceptions for their future trade flexibility.

If we traded Knight plus two picks....you can bet we're getting back serious players that can help us make a run.

10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

That ain't happening. Cleveland got one lottery protected first rounder from the Bucks that probably won't convey for a couple of years for taking on $19m next year.

clutchdabear and joshuaao like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

We will see, I would rather be wrong than right on this one.

I think the Rockets can move Knight, but it will be costly and not be easy.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For most of those, it's not really a huge plus for us. It is for Tilman, and therefore, by extension, "us"... but as you note, fit-wise, tbd.

So absent any alternatives, I'm all for Tilman saving money (to hopefully spend more) next year if it just requires trading Knight.

Unfortunately, seems like a 1st is required as well... in which case it's definitely not a plus to "us". It's just Tilman saving money.

13. basketballholic

Moving Knight for an expiring means the other team is only taking on one year of Knight.....that's ONE FIRST....at the most.....and we may be able to mitigate that first into ..... a second/Hartenstein/Edwards....??

tc0330 likes this.
  14. basketballholic

No...those are huge pluses for us....and Tilman.

You cannot ignore the luxury tax. No team can ignore it and just keep plowing ahead like it doesn't exist. This would be no different if Les were here.

But that's not what it's all about either. That's simply one part of what it's about. Acquiring an expiring for Knight or expirings for Knight/Melo.............without giving up a pick.....is about possibly beating the Lakers to the door for Anthony Davis...at the deadline. It's about possibly being a player for KD or Draymond at the deadline. It's about helping a team like Miami or Washington reset their cap long term while simultaneously raiding their hen house....it's about the flexibility that that contract provides us at the deadline....while having the opportunity to be the first team in the door or Davis...or Durant....or Draymond...or Porter....or Winslow/Ellington...etc.

15. Nook

Nook Member

We will see.

I just know that Daryl Morey has been trying to deal Knight since before he ever stepped a foot on Houston soil.

I also do not see the Rockets getting Anthony Davis. I haven't had a single person in the NBA say that was even a remote possibility.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

KCP is good. I love this, depending on the exact trade

17. omgTHEpotential

KCP is the key to a championship formula, IMO.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Everyone has for 2 years has been saying contracts like Ryan Anderson and now Brandon Knight will take 2 1sts to move.

When that's just an innaccurate gauge of the trade market.

The value of 1st rd picks right now is extremely high and it has been since that treacherous summer of the cap spike.

The cheap and team controlled contracts of 1st rd picks are very valuable right now.

That doeant mean the knights of the world are easier or cheaper to move.

The #45 pick saved us 2m this year and another 5m next year. 7m in total. A mid 2nd rd pick.

PolarBear likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Feels like a morey smokescreen.......o_O

20. cyberx

cyberx Member

I don't know about the Rockets being involved but I can add a few things.

-I have heard Ariza is going to the Lakers - it is not a matter of if he will go - its more about which teams will be involved
    -Rockets wouldn't mind getting familiar with Rich Paul - he is changing the game.
    -Morey and Pelinka are close and have completed many deals together - familiarity there