1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Rockets emerge as possible suitor for Lakers’ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 12, 2018.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Would love MKG

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know Morey loved him for the draft. He was going to give up a bunch of draft picks to get him. Now, that doesn't mean Morey's love has endured; I think the price paid would have been a mistake (like giving up the farm for Rubio also would have been a mistake).

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Morey is doing his best to dump Knight for 2 second rounders, and if the player that comes back is playable then that's a bonus. That's not the way we're going to win this season though. Also, we will have essentially dumped Anderson for Melton and 2 2nd rounders. I'm not sure that's a victory worth holding $20m of your cap hostage for 2 years. If it ends up being Ryan Anderson for Melton, a 1st and half a season of KCP then we should have just given up 2 protected firsts last season. All this time matters.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

If losing 1st Rd picks (plural) I would target
    Athletic guards like Simmons and Ross. I believe Ross is 6'8".....both athletic leapers.

Wings are the have for a reason. Lakers are willing to give up a guard (KCP) for a wing (Ariza) to go with Ingram. LeBron understands. Bigger picture is beating the Warriors. KD/Iggy/Klay going against PG's
    is BBQ chicken because they can help defend centers while getting out vs 3-point shooters. PG's and 'SGs light in the pants
    are getting torched in the paint and fail to disrupt the perimeter shooters because they lack length.

Teams are getting to many easy points in lay up drills vs the Rockets this year. Going small is not the answer imo. Giving up 80 points in the paint is not a winning formula.

I see what you are saying though.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But, why in the WORLD would Moret ever trade even a single 1st rd pick for a player like Ross let alone multiple?

Not happening.

It's obvious Morey is targeting a trash for trash trade. Knight and kcp both blah, but kcp expires. Maybe that costs a 2nd but no way are we involving any of our 1st rd picks unless it's real talent.

A bunch of reports that "morey is trying" likely because he wont involve a 1st rd pick for anyone.

He knows hes only got 1 big move left and that's to sell the farm with 4 1sts like he tried with butler.

Tbh, morey may be trying to ADD salary and a small asset.

Chriss nene and melo is 8.4m tack on MCW and that's pretty much 10m in salary.

Maybe you find a 4th team looking for cap relief and extract value. Morey always zigs when people are zagging.

Everyone is looking for cap relief and ONLY Sacremento looks to be able to swallow significant cap space.

HP3 likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

Would you do 4 firsts for Beal?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for chiming in @cyberx.

joshuaao, BigMaloe, RyanB and 2 others like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

NO, NO, NO.

tc0330 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Haha, alright,well you have made your opinions clear there.

saleem likes this.
  10. saleem

I do like him, but not that much.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kay See Pee isn't about Kay See Pee. Kay See Pee is about dumping Brandon Knight salary and making Luxury Tax Profit.

Little Bit and Mathloom like this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Dan Gilbert has been firm. He wants 2019 Unprotected First Round Pick.
    Dan Gilbert's biggest success in his career is that he traded 33-years old Mo Williams to Clippers for #1 overall pick.
    Now it is the best time to trade 33-years old JR for #1 overall pick.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I like the MKG idea, especially since he's shooting a career best from 3pt range right now (40% but on less than 1 attempt). Tremendous shot-blocker, rebounder and defender for his position. Can probably guard 4 positions, ideal for switching. Not sure his shooting would hold up, ultimately Draymond will leave him to help on Harden and then we're at the mercy of his shooting.

EDIT: Holy ****, MKG is only 25 years old. Meaningful to his ceiling on improving shooting. I don't know why I thought he was in his late 20's.

I also like Crabbe despite his alleged low bball iq. He has a near 7 foot wingspan and can shoot really really well (near 40% on 6+ attempts for 2 consecutive seasons). Average rebounder, low TO's, more assists than TO's. Brooklyn could be a place Knight produces off the bench and improves the value of his (in the summer) expiring contract. BKN creates about $3m in cap space too for their FA spree. In a limited role he might help us a lot, and there is a chance we can convince them to do it for Knight, Chriss and a 2nd rounder (or two at worst).

However, both these players have a year left on their contracts (after this season), and imo the team is looking to slash the budget as a priority.

#253 Mathloom, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Why replace Gerald Green in the lineup?
    Makes no sense to me. He is doing well. I want to see more of Green not less.

And I want him at SG not SF. I want Harden at PG or SG, not SF. JR Smith, KCP, and small SG's and you might as well slap a sign on our players backs: kick our @&&.
    Layup drill here when we play 3 smalls at the same time.

We all know that who we trade for now can't be flipped....that deadline passed last Friday. Who we get we are stuck with for the rest of the season. A SG feels like we are spinning our wheels since Harden/Gordon/Green have that covered.

I will wait to see what deals Morey can pull out of his hat....but I'm hoping JR Smith and KCP are a smokescreen. They do nothing to better this team.

Winning a few games to sell tickets and refreshments just to get bounced by AD/Randle or the Warriors with Boggie Cousins running PnR, Cousins diving to the rim and putting up uncontested shot/layup over and over again doesn't appeal to me. Losing by 30 points in the first round is just a cherry on the top of a disastrous season.

saleem likes this.
  15. saleem

He is better than MCW, but he can't shoot a lick. I would pass up on him.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Really? We really need an 11 PER KCP rental and give up a 1st rounder for that?

I'd rather stick with Ennis/House/Clark and hope at least one of them blossom.

EDIT: While we're at it, we don't need JR Smith either. Let Knight play and he'll probably end up being more useful than whoever we exchange him for.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Not callin out anybody, but what's the obsession with per haha, I always thought most people had a problem with it.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

This trade needs 6 teams involve:
    Lakers land Ariza
    Rockets land KCP
    Cavs land Knight and Rockets 2019 First
    4th team offer Suns Kuzma replacement (3-years 4 million salary)
    5th team offer Suns draft pick
    Suns get JR Smith, Kuzma replacement, 5th team Draft Pick

Suns really don't want JR Smith. Compensation will be high.