1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

September Baseball

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, if he were not to win, I'd blame the east coast bias of them watching Price first-hand destroy the NY Yankees, and ultimately lead to Toronto making a joke of that pennant race.

They'll conveniently forget that even prior to the trade, Toronto had by far the best offense in the game and best run differential.

They'll also forget all those years where they did over-value "wins" and gave the Cy Young to Clemens (as a Yankee) over guys with better ERA's.

In this case, the ERA difference is basically negligible... and Keuchel dominates everything else.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

With Lowrie hurt, Astros (Marisnick) only has 2 more games to hit their 10+ HR to break the record we're currently tied with.

Setting the new mark seemed inevitable 2 weeks ago, but time is running out.

_________

Is today opposite day? East Coast biased must be ClutchFan biased.

Keuchel doesn't dominate Price in any category, other than WAR. And Price has his advantages, too.

#522 Houstunna, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dominate is an exaggeration, they're extremely close, but I think Keuchel should, and will win it. The extra innings and extra wins are gonna give him a big edge with the old school voters, while the metric guys are gonna be split

He has pitched 12 more innings, and gave up 2 less total runs, Price gave up 10 unearned Runs, which don't hurt your ERA, but do hurt your team. Keuchel has an Xfip, and Siera that are a half run better than Price.

Price has an edge in K rate and walk rate, but Keuchel has a huge edge in how hard opponents hit the ball. Keuchel has the highest soft contact percentage, and the lowest hard contact %, both by comfortable margins.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Lowrie is struggling big time for a long time now, and Valbuena is hitting .296 with .400 OBP and .549 slugging in his last 30 games.
    Lowrie instead is hitting .192 with .248 OBP and .356 slugging.

I don't want to see Lowrie vs a righty at 3b for the rest of the year, i want Valbuena, and the way Carter is playing right now, he needs to play at 1b.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Interesting to see that on Thursday Price tweeted out that Keuchel should win the CY, and then Keuchel tweeted out that he would vote for Price. During the all-star week these two guys supposedly spent some time together, and threw around the idea of possibly playing with each other next yr.

I know realistically it's not going to happen given the $$ that will be thrown at Price in free agency, but damn could you imagine DK & DP in the same rotation?

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We could afford Price at a ridiculously high rate the next few years, problem is going to be if he gets 7-8 years which is possible. By the time that gets to the end Keuchel and Altuve and Springer and Correa will all be making huge money, McCullers likely too. Wish we could add a true ace like Price on a 4-5 year deal, unfortunately with all the TV money around now that's not gonna happen

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Look to the Nats-Scherzer contract to see how we could sign a Price-level ace to 7-8 years without greatly impacting our salary in years 5-8. However, with the young pitching we already have on the roster and in the minors, I don't see us making a huge run at Price.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Price is legit ace. Better to offer him 30 mil than scott feldman 10 mil. However their bigger needs are on offense. Too many bad hitters.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yankees down 3-0, bottom 5.

If they lose this one and the next two and we win out the WC game would be at MMP. Far fetched but definitely something to keep your eye on.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

i dont see why not, our budget is so damn low right now. we can easily throw price a 7 year 210mil deal .

Dk/price/lance/colin

DAMN

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

But the Nats are paying him $35 million per year in the last three years, they back loaded it. No way I would want that type of a deal, would very likely impact re-signing our young talent when the time comes.

If Price were to command the same deal that Scherzer got, 7 years 210 million. I'd go the opposite way with the contract, Pay him $35 million per year the first 3-4 years while our payroll is low, then the contract drops down drastically the last few years when others would be making money.

I'd love Price here, but don't want anything to affect our ability to keep all of our young talent here long term, and that in and of itself won't be easy

12. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

****ing ******* piece of **** Rangers. Even when I need them to win they don't. ****ing assholes. I hate this ****ing team.

13. hhh345

hhh345 Member

I dont know why so many people are going for the Rangers. Today is a must win regardless for us, and we still have a chance for the division.

14. Poloshirtbandit

We could, but I just don't think giving a pitcher a 7 year deal is a good idea. How often have pitchers ever lived up to that kind of contract?

15. Poloshirtbandit

uh oh LAA coming back