1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sentinel: Weisbrod, McGrady didn't mesh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by I am a Donut, Jul 2, 2004.

1. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...d01070104jul01,1,5375184.story?coll=orl-magic

Weisbrod, McGrady didn't mesh

The GM concedes that the team's ex-star wasn't his type of player so he didn't push for T-Mac to stay.

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted July 1, 2004

The only thing more blunt than the question was Orlando Magic General Manager John Weisbrod's answer. And it went a long way to explaining why Tracy McGrady was in Houston on Wednesday as a former employee of the club.

"Would it be fair to say that Tracy is not your type of player?"

"Yes," Weisbrod said.

A day after McGrady said the Magic wanted him out and didn't try to persuade him to stay, Weisbrod lashed back at the superstar he traded to the Rockets on Tuesday in a multiplayer deal.

"He definitely said that he wanted out. I think both sides of it are true," Weisbrod said. " I think he made up his mind around the all-star break [in February] that he was out. I think they communicated that to us immediately after the season was over so that is definitely true.

"The fact that we didn't go chasing him down to change his mind, that I didn't call him on his birthday, that's true, too."

Asked if he would treat future stars in the same manner, Weisbrod said, "I'm not going to chase them down, say pretty please with sugar on top."

McGrady acknowledged to the Sentinel on Tuesday that he had difficulties with Weisbrod, a hard-nosed, no-nonsense former NHL player who replaced John Gabriel in March. "I don't like the way he handles things," McGrady said.

Weisbrod could say vice versa. While calling McGrady "arguably, the most physically talented player in the league," Weisbrod said the team was not going to progress if T-Mac returned and resembled the frustrated, unhappy star he was last season. He decided that for all his brilliance, McGrady was not conducive to creating a winning environment.

"Was it going to happen here, and was it going to happen in a way that was constructive?" Weisbrod asked. "And were we going to take a step forward next year instead of a step back? I don't think we would of."

Weisbrod has talked about changing the culture of losing that suffocated the Magic during a 21-61 season. He said he felt McGrady contributed to it by not acting like a driven leader and a committed professional, although he agreed that previous management did little to surround T-Mac with enough talent during his four seasons. Weisbrod wants to rebuild the club with passionate competitors, "guys who want to cover Kobe Bryant," he said. "Maybe he [McGrady] will develop into that, but he's not now."

His reference to Bryant may or may not have been a Freudian slip. When the Magic played the Lakers on March 15, they led Los Angeles by 11 at halftime, and Bryant had scored only one point. He erupted for 37 in the second half while also aggressively guarding McGrady in the fourth period to will the Lakers to a 113-110 victory in overtime at Staples Center.

When the Magic exited their bus to the team hotel, McGrady suggested that Weisbrod send the tapes of Bryant's roughhouse tactics against him to league headquarters. Weisbrod bristled at the notion, and angrily chastised McGrady for not playing defense on Bryant and matching his intensity.

Weisbrod still was fuming when reached his room. He then cooled off, called McGrady and explained to him that he only wanted to help him become the best player he could be.

According to one player and several other sources, there were other incidences in which Weisbrod looked at McGrady and didn't see his type of player.

Two days after the Magic lost to the Lakers, they were drilled by Golden State 110-85. After the game, McGrady questioned what the Magic -- 32 games under .500 -- were playing for, rankling Weisbrod and the coaching staff.

Weeks later, when a doctor or trainer was examining McGrady's left knee, which he said had been ailing him, he asked McGrady where it hurt. "Where do you want it to hurt?" McGrady was to have said, and it got back to Weisbrod.

The last straw, however, might have been March 28, when the Dallas Mavericks came to Orlando for a game televised on ABC. McGrady was sitting out because of the tendinitis in his knee. When interviewed during the game, he chastised his teammates and didn't exactly give Coach Johnny Davis, who had taken over after Doc Rivers had been fired in November, a glowing endorsement.

Weisbrod got a tape of the interview, gathered the team and played it in the locker room. He asked McGrady to explain himself in front of his teammates. McGrady apologized, but sources say Weisbrod "benched" McGrady after the incident. He effectively ended McGrady's season, and his Magic career, three days later by placing him on the injured list, without determining whether he could come back with seven games remaining.

By this time, according to Weisbrod, McGrady already had one foot out the door after letting the Magic know he wanted to be traded.

The Magic received point guard Steve Francis, guard Cuttino Mobley and center Kelvin Cato from the Rockets. Weisbrod was asked if Orlando came close to receiving equal compensation for its superstar.

"I think it starts with how you define a superstar," Weisbrod said. "I think superstars are defined by winning and making people around them better and making teams better. I think that part of it might have my perception a little bit different than most. I feel like we definitely got what we wanted. I felt like we definitely got value."

Weisbrod said the Magic "were better than we were yesterday," and added, "I'm definitely excited about our identity being different. Our identity was Tracy and supporting cast. I would like the identity of our teams going forward to be about team. It's a team sport."

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I hope McGrady does follow his words that he has "an attitude to do whatever to win". If he pulls the same crap he did in Orlando here, things won't be pretty either with JVG.

However, Weisbrod is such a fool when handling guys like McGrady. He lets his ego and personal dislike for McGrady get into his way of business. You don't have to intimidate and force others to your own way of doing things. Great manager knows how to manage different personalities with different strategies. Guys like McGrady are special talents in the league. He carried his team to playoffs by himself the year before. You can't simply blame everything on him when things don't go well. If he treats Francis the same way he dealt with McGrady, it won't be long before hearing "Francis on the trading block" coming from Orlando. Maybe we can trade Taylor/Howard to him to get Francis back and rip him off again.

Anyway, things could be different and alot better in Orlando. Both Weisbrod and McGrady should take some blame for it. Trashing McGrady for it isn't fair. I hope things will be different here in Houston.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Weisbrod is "old school." I admire that. Why should these guys be coddled? I hope McGrady is happier in Houston.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The wet hanky tour continues.

Here, cry on my shoulder John, and tell me more about how McGrady tried to get out of the lousy situation you left him in and the lousy relationship you established with him. And thanks for pissing off our next hall of famer.

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

this whole meshing issue brings out the pretty damn funny side in Will....been laughing my ARSE off,,,,but it may be just about time for Will to Get....Over....It.. ...and invite Weisbrodass over for a beer and some.. MESHpotatoes.

6. user

user Member

I think one of the reasons that the Magic end the last season with such a bad record was that the manager intervented to much things which should be the coach's responsibilities. This Weisbrod guy thought he's the coach there.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Believe it or not, Richard Justice makes a good point Weisbrod in his column today.

If McGrady is such a bad guy. If he's such a loser. Why did Weisbrod beg the guy to stay?? If he really thought he was so bad, he'd be pushing him out the door...not asking him to stay.

8. user

user Member

What did he mean? T-Mac said he felt being pushed out. News flash: Weisbrod did not like McGrady.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL!!!

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but you remember that Weisbrod initially said he wanted to keep McGrady...brought him in to try to convince him to stay.

11. user

user Member

He just didn't want to make an ass out of him in public. You know he admitted that he DIDN'T contact McGrady since McGrady informed him that he's not gonna sign an extension with the Magic. Weisbrod might wanted something (if you believed him) but he never did anything there.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

According to the article above, that just didn't happen. McGrady is somewhat of a diva though and let's not discount the fact that he did quit on his team. He did check out on their season around the All-Star break. Even though his team was not a good team and had piled up losses, that still is not the mark of a true professional and it will be interesting to see what he does if/when things don't go as well in Houston as he wants them to go. What will he do, for example, if (God forbid) Yao goes down next season and the losses start to mount up?

PLUS, Weisbrod wanted to change the nature and attitude of his team to one of toughness & determination. Nothing wrong there as JVG wants the same thing for the Rockets so it's unfair to rip the guy for trying to lift up his team from the doldrums and change their "culture of losing". Also, if T-Mac couldn't deal with Weibrod's attitude, just wait until he gets a whiff of JVG up close and personal.

There is really no villian here. I, for one, don't blame T-Mac for wanting out. It was time to go, the Grant Hill experiment was a dismal failure and there was no reason for him to believe that things would get better for him in 1, 2 or 3 years. I just wish that T-Mac had gone about things a bit more professionally. He's got the fresh start he wanted. The next move is up to him.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You mean beg him like a "coddled" superstar.

14. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

one question i always have been curious...why in the world did the orlando magic choose a HOCKEY guy to be their GM ? why can't they get a former player or someone who at least know enough basketball

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Quite frankly, I don't really blame T-Mac for quiting on his team. The guy had to single-handedly carry the team for 4 years, and you'd have to think the frustration level builds up to a point where he couldn't take it. Especially since we are talking about a 25 yr old here. Plus, "coddling" a superstar is hardly exclusive to T-Mac. A ton of superstars needs to get their egos stroked. Heck, Barry Bonds has to have a lazy-boy in the locker room, among other crap that no other ballplayers have. But if the Astros could land him, I'd be ecstatic.

It's what's on the court that counts. As long as T-Mac brings it on the court, now that he has no excuses playing with Yao, I don't really care too much how he whines.