1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun/FVV-centric offense won't survive long term

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 4, 2024.

?

What should we do with the offense?

1. Don't change anything

45.8%
  2. Cut down FVV's 2PT shots and spread the wealth

32.7%
  3. Other

21.5%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're approaching the halfway point of the season and it's time to start talking about this. I gave the whole team roughly 30 games to work things out and now it's time finally to judge everyone based on their raw output for the remainder of the season. Right now our #1 big picture issue is offense. If you further diagnose it, we're extremely weak inside the arc and in transition. Those are unsustainable flaws.

Our defense is amazing but our offense sucks. Not to mention, our offense has an extremely limited ceiling the way we're running it. Ime Udoka has not yet shown himself to be an above average offensive coach in his career. In Boston, he was not a better offensive coach than Stevens given roughly the same roster. Mazzulla is the best offensive coach among the 3. Mazzulla is no MDA himself.

We can't expect someone to come in and improve everything all at once. It has to unfold over a season. I was always aware that Ime would come here and prioritize defense very much in the mold of Thibs - leaving offense to be fully worked on later as a lesser priority. So there's nothing to be angry about here. We needed the time to work on our defense and we're not fully finished installing even right now. However, we are entering the second phase of the season. Everyone should know the offense/defense and it should easy to install more stuff in the offense right now. We should be stealing sh*t from the Warriors and Nuggets as much as possible. We just don't have the same off-ball execution as those teams.

There are some characteristics Udoka is displaying that remind me of Pop's weaknesses (when SAS were contenders) and that makes sense (drowning his team in midrange, not trusting youth, not great with coaching offensive wing players, excellent in the post though). I don't think Ime is doomed to be a below average offensive coach or anything like that, but he better stay on top of this lest he ends up a Thibs or a Rivers. Someone who will lose his locker room early at almost every job. You can only yell and be angry for so long till players tune you out. You can motivate people in the short term that way but not in the long term.

My suggestion is that we need Fred and Holiday to chill on taking 2pt shots. They are shooting extremely poorly on those, just as bad as our young guys. I thought Ime would be the type where he goes "I don't care how much money you're making, this is a meritocracy and we do what's best for the team". However, there does not seem to be any effort to let FVV know that there's an 8 year sample that shows he should not be taking this many 2pters.

We need FVV to generate easier and earlier shots for Jabari, Jalen, Amen and Cam. We do NOT want to go the route where we are leaving Sengun to carry the load of 1.5 scorers. Sengun is half of an ELITE offensive duo. FVV is not the other half, although he's a very stable and reliable professional who's filling in admirably. Please don't get me wrong, I'm so happy we signed FVV. His leadership, passing, defense and 3pt shooting is amazing for this team. Right now there's no one converting on drives at a rate that could unseat FVV. However, we've been through this before with KPJ. We've seen how much truth (none) there was to the idea that since Jabari can't make ultra wide open shots, then he must not be able to make any shots. Turns out delivery, context, execution, trust, confidence, rhythm all matter. People could have been shooting better than KPJ, but out backcourt were hogging all the good shots if we're being honest.

On FVV's role in this, there have been accusations in the past - which I thought were frivolous - about FVV holding back young guards. A big chunk of Raptors fans have been saying this for two years. Now, I'm reconsidering whether it was false. He may not be a bad guy, but also he may not realize that his subconscious knows he does not benefit monetarily from these guys succeeding as soon as possible. It's not intentional, as I said we're all human. That's on Ime. He needs to be watching this situation.

The bottom line for me is, if we have to give shots to the best of Cam/Amen/Jalen/Jabari, we should be willing to let them shoot 1-2% lower TS% as long as they're clearly better than FVV in the 2PT area. We can sacrifice a tiny bit of efficiency there and I bet one of these 3 young scorers will make up the difference within this season. It would be a great investment for our future. We'd know better what we have before the deadline. The FVV-Sengun centric offense will not survive long term anyway so it's time to prepare this team. I didn't want to sacrifice anything significant in terms of wins, so it's good we've been patient with this and trusted FVV's steady play.

However, now that we're more than 1/3rd of the way through the season, I think it's time to judge Ime's offense just as we would anyone else without taking anything away from his success overall.

Aside from trades, which offensive direction do you guys think we can go with the pieces we have? Is this really the best offense we can do with this roster?

#1 Mathloom, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Dankstronaut, Jontro, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hopefully there is an Amen and Cam centric one......would like to see that.

But very likely in another year or two......Udoker the master at expediting things cannot expedite everything.

ALLEN7628, DeBeards, 13 in 33 and 3 others like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not changing a whole lot right now.

We knew coming into this season that this team would struggle offensively - the team just lacks "good shooters" and doesn't have a true #1 option.

They are shooting .365 as a team from distance. League average is .364

In a world where FVV didn't take 2's, defenders would just crowd him at the 3 point line because they don't have to respect the drive.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is a bad thing? Sounds like space for everyone else, achieving exactly what shooter should achieve.

The way you're describing FVV, it's as though he's Lebron James. Role players are doing their job when their defenders over focus on them. Star scorers you don't want to crowd, but FVV is not that. I don't understand why we're treating FVV as anything other than an excellent role player which is what he's always been. I always knew we'd have to over extend him, but we have jumped the shark a little bit and FVV is taking a few unnecessarily difficult shots per game. Over 90% of his contribution should be defense, passing and 3's. There's nothing we're gaining from FVV taking this many 2PT shots, he's not making them better than our scoring guards. If we get to the point where he's drawing more defenders to the 3pt line, that's heaven for Sengun/Jabari/Jalen/Amen/Cam. We are really desperate for spacing and better 2PT shooting, it's a major flaw in our offense that's holding us back.

I get that this is the best strategy to pursue if we're in the situation where getting just 1 extra win at the end of the season makes or breaks our entire rebuild. However, that's not true. We're not talking about just giving up wins. We're not talking about risking 4-5 wins. We CAN afford to risk sacrificing 1 or 2 wins if the potential return is 1 or 2 extra wins on top. That's not an unreasonable expectation that one of Jabari/Cam/Amen/Jalen will reward us for that.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Every offense the Rockets have for the next decade+ will be Sengun-centric. That part is perfect.
    2. Fred will eventually need to pound the ball less and let a true democracy evolve on offense. It will be really easy the more he relinquishes to Alperen, and the more off-ball movement that Udoka installs.
    3. I am of the mind that Amen is the most likely player to change the offense. We need a one-man fast break and a tempo pusher so Alperen can get some Kareem-style rest.
    4. Please, for the love of god, use Jabari more as the cutter/popper.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The team doesn't have a guard that can create offense with any consistency. I agree FVV should take a few less 2s, but he is still far and away our best PnR desicion maker. His individual 2 pt FG numbers look reprehensible, but he is still the best at creating offense for the team overall.

Until we get someone, or one of our young guys grow into that role, FVV is still our best option to intiate offense on the perimeter.

I fully agree its not good enough long term. This board has a billion threads about perimeter scoring issues, with one player in particular taking most of the heat for his shortcomings so far.

Y2JT, HardenReturns and Ankara1923 like this.
  7. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Meh… offense is not much of a concern if you have realistic expectations for this team.

don grahamleone and utgrad97 like this.
  8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I get your frustration because you want to Jalen become a star. So do I. I too am willing to sacrifice wins for growth. But at a certain point you have to be fair to the team. FVV/Sengun P&R is our most effective offense as of now.

If we had put the ball in Jalen's hands more this year, we lose many more games. He wasn't ready for that responsibility on a winning team. None of our young players showed consistent efficiency outside of Sengun. Fred had to take the wheel.

Be patient. This is a transition year for the whole organization. People laughed at the thought of this team having a top 10 defense this year. They laughed at the thought that this team might make the playoffs or play-in. They laughed at the signings of Dillon and Fred. Ime was called an absolute idiot on this board several times before he coached one game.

He has and will continue to embarrass his detractors. He's done everything that he said he would. Give him time and they will eventually get the offense to a more suitable level.

The balance between winning and internal growth is delicate with this team. And if we take a step back from our emotions, we can see that Ime is actually pulling this off.

I don't think Tate should be starting or getting as much PT as he receives. I don't agree with some of Ime's lineup choices. But I do trust his basketball acumen more than I trust mine. Let Ime do his thing. Rome wasn't built in a day. The offense will come.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This thread has nothing specifically to do with Jalen. The point is: anyone who has a chance to score 2pters better than Fred by the end of this season. I do not accept we don't have anyone like that on the roster. Hell I'd rather Sengun take more shots.

Regarding your point, i addressed it. It is the most efficient offense thus far but it is pointless. FVV is not going to look much different by the end of it and even if he has his best season ever. We're never going to want that to be our bread and better.

Remember, we are in phase 2 not phase 3. We are not yet at the point where future doesn't matter at all.

#9 Mathloom, Jan 4, 2024
    BaselineFade likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Just regarding this point too, I've never known offense to be Ime's thing. I'm letting him do his thing with defense and development. At the moment based on results, Ime is basically the inverse MDA.

We don't do anything well on offense other than FVv/Sengun and I don't believe the roster is that bad offensively.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FVV is here to provide stability and structure on and off the court until our youngins reach a certain point. I expect him & his contract to go out at next year's deadline with picks for a star.

#11 Plowman, Jan 4, 2024
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think you’re thinking too much. We’re currently the 17th ranked offense despite starting three players 21 and younger and giving significant time to three other players 22 and younger.

34to11, Y2JT, Moe and 15 others like this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Get some good shooters via trades or free agent signings, the offense will look a whole lot better

Dovahkiin and Patience like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

FVV can play at this level for another 6-7 years.

15. Joerex Jamisola

We already overachieved and FVV-Sengun offense is just starting to gel. As what you've said. where 1/3rd of the season already how much more a whole season to develop. Also IME tried so many times on Jalen Green, and Green cant pass and cant finish. Green is too inconsistent.
    Jabari can't create. Cam is good but we have a better 3 than him right now.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

the ball should be in fvf's hands more and have the defense go thru him

17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

FVV and Brooks are transitional period players, just helping JGreen/Alp/Bari/Tari/'23 pick to settle.

Udoka is a just better than average coach at the moment. Not a bad coach, huge improvement after Silas (who wouldn't) but not there yet. Concentration lapses, late responses, no second plans, bad challenges are the areas he has to improve. Hope he will succeed in.I am not against him but it is obvious that he should do better for the rings.

The main target should be keeping young core together and adding them Paul George type of a single player if possible. Then be ready for OKC duels, NBA finals and rings.

Go Rockets!!!

Jontro likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

FVV will be here for two years. In that time, if none of the more perimeter oriented scorers step up and earn more of the scoring/playmaking opportunities, then I am 100% happy with FVV doing what he has been doing.

Is our ceiling with FVV as our main guy low? Sure. But our ceiling, over the next two years, with Jalen or someone else as our main perimeter guy is much, much lower. I don't think either scenario impacts our long-term.

CDrex likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know where that narrative of our ceiling being low with FVV as PG comes from.

He won an NBA title.

He's one of the top point guards in the league. And he is not 35 or something.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

But Freddy is #1 in LEBRON or JORDAN or WILT whatever the new "hip" metric is to avoid the eye test! :D

We ended up paying 42Ms for a 3&D lead guard and thats fine in the short term while the team develops an identity. While Freddy IS pretty much useless inside of the arc on offense he brings a great point of attack defense and his court vision is appreciated. I wish he could figure out how to deliver a lob pass pretty soon so that some of the young guys can display the above the rim athleticism they are gifted with. Chemistry takes time. Probably more than 30 games if we use Udokas brief Boston experience as a reference point.

Its all about 3&D baby - thats what will bring home the hardware. Figure out how to surround Sengun with that archetype of player while Sengun himself extends his range and fulfill your destiny.