1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sending Asik to the Sixers or the Celtics for little would've been a very risky proposition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 19, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I know many people wonder why the Rockets wouldn't just take "any offer" available. Beyond Morey not wanting a player to dictate his actions, it has an inherently huge risk because Morey values Asik so highly. You may disagree with Morey's assessment of Asik. You may think he's just an average center who can't catch. But that's immaterial here. Morey believes Asik is super awesome. So he has to move according to that belief.

The risk comes from several teams that can or may benefit from having Asik in the west.

Dallas (Dalembert sucks)
    OKC (Perkins sucks even worse)
    Possibly Portland (Should Lopez revert back to his career norm)
    Possibly Clippers (should they decide Jordan isn't cutting it)
    Possibly Suns (if they truly are trying to win now)

All teams we may face sometime in the playoffs.

It's one thing to trade Asik to a place like Atlanta. That ensures Asik stays there because Atlanta is trying to win now. But trading him to Hinkie or Ainge is just asking for them to repackage Asik and send him back out for a much juicier deal. And in the process may hurt our chances in the playoffs.

If Morey was going to just dump Asik just to dump him, he at least need to make sure the Rockets aren't going to play against Asik in the playoffs.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm beginning to think that the trade was sort of staged to begin with. He leaked it to Woj to basically send a message that this is what you are worth, but you could be worth much more to our team…. so people would be happy just keeping him, and Asik might just shut up and play. Just a big shot of reality to the face.

Morey loves this guy, and after trying so hard for years to acquire him, I have a hard time believing he really ever wanted to deal him in the first place.

I think its a real possibility that this was all just for show, and to get Omer and his agent off his back for awhile.

………….

To Meh's point. I agree totally. Trading him before the deadline means he could very well get flipped back to Dallas or Phoenix, and kill the Rockets. Also, the Rockets REALLY need to find nights where they can get Howard some rest and still win games. Asik is key to the getting Howard to the playoffs in one piece.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hope Asik can just be a man and play ball. Go for the championship.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good comment. I definitely think this was the case with Philly. They would have been very open to moving him at the deadline and I think this flip-combine deadline of the 20th was as important to them as it is/was to Houston.

That's an interesting theory I hadn't thought of, but I think Arn Tellem, being a powerful agent, could cut through the spin and get a good assessment of Asik's true value on the market. I'd be willing to bet that he's now communicating with teams to try to find a deal suitable for Asik and the Rockets.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not sure "for show" is the best way to do it. I think both Philly and Boston put in their low-ball offers just in case they can get him. Everyone has things that they don't really have to have, but if they find it on sale for a great price, they'd buy it. I think Asik to Ainge and Hinkie is that item. If the price is low enough, they'll buy him and figure it out later.

I think one of the problems is that all the GMs that are similar to Morey in terms of thinking are mostly in the west. And Morey didn't want to deal Asik there.

6. basketballholic

(to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas)

On the second day of Asik sweepstakes another team gave to us.........

2 first round picks, and a nice large expiring contract.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This pic is begging for a Morey photoshop RIGHT NOW.

Morey to Hinkie: "What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea."

Morey to McHale: "'I will be happy staying with the Rockets.' Now, this is obviously an idea that Omer himself would choose to reject. Which is why we need to plant it deep in his subconscious. Subconscious is motivated by emotion, right? Not reason. We need to find a way to translate this into an emotional concept."

Morey to Royce White: "You're waiting for a bus, a bus that will take you far away. You know where you hope this bus will take you, but you don't know for sure. Will she let you do it up the butt? Who can tell."

8. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Thanks for posting this in its own thread, wouldn't want your special and unique thoughts to get lost among the other lengthy Asik threads because clearly your scintillating analysis deserves unique attention.

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rockets never want to trade Asik....it's Asik's personal ego and selfishness that is the problem here. A true team player would sacrifice for the better of the team. He's not a person that would sacrifice for winning but he's all about personal pride. If he put that aside, he would be perfectly fine playing for the Rockets. So, it ain't the Rockets that want to get rid of Asik, it's Asik that want to force the Rockets to trade him.

There is so many problems w/ his thinking. He knows he's not better than Howard so he can't start over him. He knows that playing w/ Howard will go no where as the team suck w/ him in the lineup. He knows that if he forces trade, it makes him look like a selfish a** person. Everything just seems so screwed up with Asik as not just a PLAYER, but as a person as well. Who the hell want to be around a player that is so selfish.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Bingo, maybe in our own division.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

To be fair, I was okay with him wishing to go elsewhere. I've repeated since the day Dwight signed that that best case scenario for both the Rockets and Asik is to deal him at the deadline. I said it because the market will be at its highest at that time. And as insurance against Howard missing time.

I'm sure Morey would be okay to deal him. As long as the Rockets get decent value. Again, the trade deadline would've been perfect for this. It's a shame that Asik and his agent could not just wait another 2 months for everyone to be happy.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Asik no matter how you spin it, is still a player that will only play sparingly.

Would still rather have him traded for perimeter player than can take minutes away from Harden, Parsons and Garcia.

Insurance backup center can always be picked up later on. Okafor, Camby is there for the taking.

13. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Well, the longer Asik sits on the bench the more his value to other teams is going to drop. If we can't get the deal we wanted today, then we won't get it tomorrow, either.

Now, us fans will suffer because once again our team will have a major piece sitting on the sidelines while earning millions of dollars and not playing any minutes. I can't see how anyone could support this, especially Rockets fans.

Maybe we can't get Milsap, maybe we can't get the exact guy we want or need. But we need to trade Asik soon or else our team is going to limber into the playoffs with Howard and Harden avging 40+ minutes a game, and we will be no different than the 2005 Rockets with Tmac and Yao. Two guys who pull all of the weight, only to break down when the playoffs start.

This is a serious issue, and I want to see both Howard's and Harden's minutes drop in the regular season, substantially. If they don't, WE WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING. Mark my words.

14. makio9

makio9 Member

It's funny you say that because prior to today nobody brought that up as being a negative. All that was ever said was "Rockets want to move him before this deadline so that other teams (76ers) can move him again.

15. makio9

makio9 Member

Personally, I think the Rockets might be feeling the pinch of certain members leaving the front office like Hinkie did during the offseason. This doesn't seem like a place the Rockets are normally sitting in -- stifled.

16. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

I hope that isn't the case, but it sure seems like we're getting a negative karma effect right now.

If we could just get Asik and Lin to believe in this team we could be first in the WC.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

will get a second rounder come February
    not good

18. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

There just isn't a market for Asik at the price Morey is asking.

A properly tanking team would not be interested in renting an above-average center at a huge salary at the cost of future 1st rounder.
    A contender wouldn't trade away an "impact player" and typically doesn't have the future assets that appeals Morey, and he doesn't want to give them Asik anyway.

19. dobro1229

Yeah I mean I'm being halfway sarcastic here with the conspiracy, but my thinking is that Morey is actually kind of happy that he didn't really have to trade him to begin with, and went into this whole thing knowing that the offers would suck.

The question is though, did Morey every REALLY want to make a deal to begin with? That stance will & attitude will probably affect the outcome in negotiations either way.

Now he has evidence to show Arm & Omer than look... I can't just move you for nothing and damage my organization long term with bad contracts when you publicly trashed your value by publicly demanding a trade multiple times. It buys Morey more time to keep Omer, and puts the ball in Arm's court to broker trades that are more suitable around the trade deadline. Also it might motivate Omer to shut up and actually play basketball to increase his value & get rid of his now poor reputation around the league.

20. dobro1229

I agree. My thinking is that Morey never even spoke with Cuban or Presti, or any of these guys that actually have the assets he wants, and a need for Omer.

One of the reasons Morey might have backed out is might have gotten the inclination that Ainge/Hinkie were really just day-trading as you implied, and taking an asset that was at its lowest value, playing him for two months, and then trading him out west to a team that really does need him like OKC or Dallas for some really, really good packages.

Lets say Morey trades Asik to the Celtics for Bass, Lee, and a late 1st, and then Ainge turns around in February and trades Asik to the Mavericks for the expiring contract of Marion, and 2 first rounders.... Morey just got owned, and would be ridiculed around the league.