1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Senate votes to allow Internet providers share search histories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're an idiot if you think he 'led' anything. At best, he contributed. Along with thousands of others.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You may want to check your history.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

God, you are either a ****ing tool or a fool if you can't figure out just how wrong this is. I'm sure you believe that you'll never be seriously ill with something that is long term, and if you are, that you'll never change jobs or be between jobs and have to deal with getting insurance, or that you will apply for a job and that prospective employer won't pay a company to scour the internet for everything you ever looked at there. What if that prospective employer happens to really dislike hiring far-right, knee jerk opinionated guys like you? Don't think that with the passage of this there won't pop up companies that will do a search on you for ANYTHING that employer might want to know, including your politics. It might be a company run by a moderate Republican who simply won't hire an extremist like you if he/she can help it.

I hope that happens to you. I really do. You deserve it. With all respect due.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I could see someone saying that this is benign in nature. Arguing though about and trying to portray it in some kind of positive light. Uhmm ok

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No I am just not proud in my ignorance like yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Performance_Computing_Act_of_1991

The was called the "Gore Bill" - basically it was the foundation of the world wide web and the first internet browser. He led that.

Please educate yourself.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I now have a whole bunch of these time wasters on ignore. It has made coming down here far more pleasant. Tallanvor hasn't made the list yet, but he's working on it. I enjoy discussions with intelligent conservatives about politics. I do not enjoy attempting to have conversations with people who do not think, but only repeat what they've read on a fringe website that's a play pen for extremists.

Food for thought.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So everyone will know that we all come here to this site.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This was made clear by your below post. Excellent discussion. And oh god no, please don't put me on your ignore list. Where will i ever find meaningful discussion like the post below? Its full of great counter arguments to what i said and answering everything question i asked so thoroughly......

Blade Runner sucks noodles. Will this get you to stop responding? You are an emotional trainwreck and you have never said anything i find remotely interesting.

#49 tallanvor, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    cml750 likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's all up to them. Anonymous data isn't nearly as valuable.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It isn't necessarily because tying your data to you would require a third party. Just because I know the browsing history of an internet address doesn't mean I know it for an individual.

You would need a third party such as FB to translate the IP address to an actual individual.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Keep whining. It suits you.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If it can be bought and sold for the profit of the top 1%
    THEN IT MUST BE BOUGHT AND SOLD FOR THE PROFITS OF THE TOP 1%
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I read a bit more about the legislation and it is pretty scary.

Basically an ISP now has the right to collect any information about you - not just your browsing history but the actually content of what you send and receive. Your emails, photos, your credit card numbers, bank accounts, health records, social security number - would all be accessible by an ISP and they would have the right to store it on their servers in whatever secure or poorly secure environment. Totally up to them - and they don't even have to tell you they are collecting it.

We've basically

15. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Dis gon be gud: surely there will be a challenge through the courts to the SC. How huge was the decision of the obstructionist and failing GOP led Senate to block the legitimate right of B-Ho to nominate a replacement appointment now?! Maybe I'm reading this wrong or don't understand the process of how one challenges an act of congress--flame away if so.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

With the new classification, the NSA gets a taste without needing a warrant. That is, if you believe they don't do it already.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not just the NSA, but the ISP. Except the ISP can sell your info to anyone for profit. Anything to anyone. Including hackers.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Except what idiot is going to do financial transactions over an unsecured connection? Nevermind, I shouldn't ask. Generally one who doesn't know what they are talking about in the first place.

If the website has "HTTPS" (not HTTP), the site traffic is encrypted from your browser to the host server. In other words, your ISP can not see the actual traffic (legally). They can see what sites you visited (basically metadata) of course.

Any site that contains confidential information should be using a secured connection. If not, you shouldn't be using it. If you can't tell the difference, you probably shouldn't be giving your information out across the internet in the first place.

In other words, quit spreading misinformation.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You realize that Clutchfans does not use SSL, right?

So your ISP would be able to unmask your identity and associate with all your idiotic posts and share it with anyone they so choose. For example a service that allows employers to search through employees posts they have made on the internet.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

TROLL TRACE IS BECOMING A REALITY. YOU ALL BETTER BE SCARED.