1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Self Checkout.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jan 6, 2023.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It seems we have crossed the Rubicon and will get more self-checkouts as we go along and will probably end up having only self-checkouts in some places, which I am not totally against.

My question is how many use it the majority of the time, and what is your preference if you had a choice.

I don't like to use it unless the lines are long, or I have a few items. If I have fruit I am definitely not using it, is there a cheat code for fruit that I am missing?

Do you think a company will go to all self-checkout, but things will be cheaper, kind of like ALDI does it with shopping carts and bags and usually 1 or 2 lines open?

I realized that things were tipping when the dollar store put in a self-checkout which is actually a good thing for me since I am usually only getting a couple of items.

ROCKSS, Jontro and FrontRunner like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I only use self-checkout when I grocery shop unless the stations are closed.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

All about self-checkout unless I have a ton of items....which I usually don't because we get groceries delivered. The bigger PITAs in self checkout are the ID items which require a person to come check your ID. I don't have any problems with fruit since it's done by picture at Kroger's, where I usually shop if we need a few things.

Sam's Club offers discounts on items for using the phone app to shop and pay. That's the ultimate convenience at this point for shopping in person and the main reason I keep my Sam's membership going.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. marky :)

marky :) Member

Self check out. Crappy life hack - Grab organic bananas and pay for the non organic.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Be careful. I’ve read some stories about companies (Walmart) tracking this type of theft and when they have enough evidence, prosecuting.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I prefer to have someone else do the job of checker when I grocery shop. (unless i'm grabbing one or two things then self check is easier)

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

My question is how long before they start asking for a tip on self checkouts?

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Preference is self checkout but if I have a cart of stuff will go through a normal line.

9. no_answer

no_answer Member

I mostly order my groceries for pickup/delivery, so I don't mind self-checkout for the small amount of stuff I run into the store for. I do want an employee discount if I am checking myself out, just sayin.

CCity Zero and jiggyfly like this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

"Convivence fees"

I'm ticked off that we can't buy Astros tickets at the box office anymore to avoid convivence/service fees. They went 100% online in 2021 claiming covid reasons and never went back to opening the box office. Are the Rockets 100% online too?

desihooper and body slam like this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Self-checkout most of the time, but I try to keep the checkout people employed -- when it's convenient or I have a bunch of fruit.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Usually do self checkout since it's faster.

You can scan the fruit bar code and enter weight/quantity.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I actually enjoy shopping and I like to get deals so I need to see the prices.

Whats the surcharge for pickup I see HEB does this a lot and would probably do more of it if its not that much more.

BamBam likes this.
  14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I prefer self check out. I keep my headphones on and bag more than one item per bag.

rhino17 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not going to lie I am always tempted to not scan something even though it really would not make a difference financially because coming up we always we were looking for ways to get over or stick it to the man.

I then realize it's not worth it, but I like living on the edge a bit.:D

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Self checkout sounds a bit suicidal! o_O

Prefer to be called pro bono employee...;)

robbie380 likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I will bring 30 items to self checkout

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

To echo most of the other posters, self-checkout is for me, if I don't have that many items. I typically check out with less than 10 items though, at any given time.

Because if I do have a lot of items, it's inconvenient for me and for the people waiting behind me, for me to scan so many items. And if you don't have that many items, you're wasting your time standing in line behind people with a cartful of items, anyway, in a non-self-checkout line.

Self-checkouts also allow your brain to be active and use simple touchscreen technology, and it makes you feel like you're doing something, instead of being passive.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and Jontro like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

Jontro and Deckard like this.