1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Seeking Feedback] Who's for a GARM in a Nutshell Thread ??

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by heypartner, Oct 18, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Every year the idea is tossed around to have a thread in the GARM that consolidates News/Rumors/GARM Memes etc posts from threads throughout the GARM -- a thread with no discussion just links to other posts in the GARM.

see this thread for an old discussion of the idea,
    [GARM] News and Rumors Update Thread? @HR Dept @BigMaloe

I want to give it a try this year, if there's enough positive feedback, and Clutch doesn't mind. What do y'all think?

Here's a synopsis of the idea:
    • The GARM seems to like big monster threads of discussion
    • Most news and insider contributors seem to prefer posting their news in these running big threads.
      @J.R. @Codman @Plowman @Batman Jones @zeeshan2 @cyberx (Tagged for feedback)
    • Sometimes their posts get buried quickly
    • People can't quickly get updates of what's going on
    • Sometimes really fun cfnet memes start, and ppl don't get it as it spreads to other threads
    • So, the proposed idea is, in one thread, ppl post quotes of the source posts of any trending discussion

Here's three questions for Feedback
    1. What should the thread be called? I'm thinking
      1. [Trending Posts] In this thread every post must quote a post in another thread
      2. GARM in a Nutshell
      3. What's Trending in the GARM
      4. Links to GARM News and Rumors Posts
      5. The Posts in this thread will SHOCK You
    2. What very, very basic and simple Tips and Guidelines should be stated in the first post?
    3. When should the Thread be started

#1 heypartner, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Sweet Lou 4 2 and BamBam like this.
  2. heypartner

Here's an example of a typical post in the proposed thread. In the Tips and Guidelines of thread's OP, readers are told to click the Arrow next to Plowman's name to join the discussion in the thread where he posted that news. I repeat the tip in the caption to Plowman's post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boom goes the dynamite -- Bledsoe news!
    Posted in the Cyberx, paging cyberx thread. (as always, click arrow in quote to join discussion.)

#2 heypartner, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's an example above of a superior poster and REAL Rockets fan

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I love this idea and would love to participate but my posts don't merit any special attention since I can't share anything I hear.

5. Buck Turgidson

i don't post much in the garm because most times my thoughts or opinion have already been posted by someone else at least 4 times. It is my source for Rockets news but it can be hard to keep up, especially if you're away from the bbs for any length of time.

This would be a godsend.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I agree with Buck. I come for news and updates but don't post much in GARM. I think it is a great idea in concept but would require a lot of maintenance. A full time job.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

heypartner is applying for a full time job on Clutchfans. :D

BamBam likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wouldn't mind a "Cliffs notes" / "Rockets talk" thread. I personally had no problem with the "Paging Codman" thread that grew enormous and sometimes (err usually) strayed away from the topic at hand. It might as well been a "Clutch Fans Twitter stream." I am ok with venturing in there to participate at the randomness.

As long as newsbits include the links back to the original "focused thread" which @heypartner alluded to, then that is fine so people know where to direct their comments if they want to focus/drill down on a specific point.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

hp breh, if you get your full time job here, can you hire me as part of your team?

10. Buck Turgidson

If he builds it we will come.

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I 2nd/3rd/4th your initiative heypartner!!!
    I would've known/participated in this thread much sooner had the "GARM for Dummies" thread been active!

(P.S) NOT calling anyone a dummy!!! Just a suggestion on a title! ;)

heypartner likes this.
  12. heypartner

We could start the GARM thread with this? :D Note how it is more than DMo talk, so ppl not interested in following all 5 DMo threads might miss it.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Codman gives an update on DMo situation, and random trades musings. Click the up Arrow next to his name in the quote to join the discussion.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Honestly guys, I don't read the Trade/Rumors threads much at all, so this won't go very far unless others are interested in copy/pasting. I could help with stuff JR posts about Woj/Morey tweets or player quotes or GARM memes trending, etc.

#12 heypartner, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    tinman likes this.
  13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Personally, I would prefer if only certain members posted on that thread, @J.R. @Codman @Plowman @Batman Jones @zeeshan2 @cyberx are all in this group with the addition of the boss himself @Clutch! They could post their info in the original thread and double post it int the "NEW THREAD".

I think that NO ONE including the insiders should be allowed to post anything other than the Trade/Rumor/Funny memes! Personal opinions/comments should not be allowed at all! If the thread pertains ONLY info, it will be more compact and enjoyable to read!

[​IMG]

The girl on the left is freaking me out!!! :eek:

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I miss The Who Posted? feature because it was easier to lurk inside those gargantuan threads for good posters. It was almost like a feeding frenzy where someone like cyberx would drop a good nugget and then two or three quality posts show up on that same page.

A bit of a pattern, but without a way to easily stalk the heavy hitters in a thread, it's harder to sift through and those Yule C moments become further in between.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I wish there was a thread only certain posters could post in, like the ones you mentioned above. Only news and credible rumors.

16. heypartner

Here's another, buried in one of the DMo threads.

Deuce likes this.
  17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I still think that this could be a great idea.

18. heypartner

Would you help copy/paste posts into the Nutshell thread, whenever you happen to see one? I'll probably miss a lot of the trade/rumor stuff, since I don't venture into trade threads too often. And lookie above, I just got a "Like" for posting one already.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't venture there or to the GARM often either. Which is why I really like this idea.

But, when I do come across things I'll come back and post it here if someone else hasn't already.

20. heypartner

Anyone wish we had a DMo Mega-Threads campanion-reader thread, right now?