1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seeking Advice on Places to Live...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kentuckyalum, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

Just moved to League City in December. Don't know the Houston area well. League City is alright, it's quiet and safe, but im 24 and there just isn't a whole lot here as far as fun and entertainment go. Anyone got any recommendations? I would like to be somewhere inside the loop and close to I-10 as I work in Baytown. Prefer not to spend more than $1300/mo for a 1B. Maybe close to Washington ave? Haven't been out there but I hear that's where the fun is. Any advice is appreciated. TIA

2. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Washington is fun. Lots of restaurants, bar, and clubs. Close to downtown and the galleria.

I live in the Rice Military and love the area. Lots of apts on Washington.

I used to live in City Vista on West Dallas and it was pretty good. Young crowd and the pool was awesome.

$1300 for a one bedroom should get you something pretty nice inside the loop.

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

We live at Lofts at the Ballpark (link), and it's really nice. Very close to I-10, relatively close to fun parts of town, and right next to a couple good bars. The rent is reasonable.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

damn $1300 for a 1 bedroom, that's like NYC prices

7. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I was thinking the same thing, but in NYC that 1 bedroom wouldn't be very impressive.

8. R0ckets03

$1300 in NYC will get you a what 400 sqft apt in a decent part of town.

$1300 inside Houston will get you over a 1000 sqft apartment in a pretty nice part of town.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Find an apartment locator and tell them what you want. The apartments pay them. It's a free service to you. The only thing you may miss out on is single-owned condos, etc.

10. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Just live in Baytown... there are some pretty damn nice apt building around Rolllingbrook and Baker for about 600 cheaper then the ones in downtown houston.. and the price of gas would make it worth it everyday..

11. R0ckets03

Depending on where he works and how long the commute is....but there is no way somebody can pay me $600 to commute an hour each way to and from work. Forget how much the gas is. Time alone would keep me away from it.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I also live in Rice Military and love it, although we're looking to move to the Memorial/Kirby area soon. I'm now right down the street from Memorial Park (had a picnic dinner there yesterday and let the dogs run), all of my favorite restaurants/bars are around a 3 minute drive on Washington, and it's only a 15-20 minute drive in I-10 East to my job off Federal Road.

There are PLENTY of apts. in that price range around the area. For someone your age it is an awesome place to live, especially for the bar scene. Even on Sundays they're jam packed.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm buying a house for less than that, tax and insurance included.

But, I'd be careful about living too close to Washington Ave or some other nightlife attraction. You'll have more crime, more annoying neighbors, and more drunks throwing up in your backyard. I would think you could pick a nice place inside the loop near one of the freeways, and get to Washington or Montrose or Richmond or wherever you want to go by car within 15 minutes. Unless, you want the luxury of stumbling home blind drunk every night.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My brother lived in Astoria, Queens and paid that amount for a 350 square foot apt and still had to take an hour long commute via train to get to work in Manhattan. He loved NYC but loathed that part. Back then I was living in a 1300 square feet condo and when his girlfriend and him visited they thought I lived in a mansion. :confused:

15. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Eh.... He works in Baytown.. thus being the reason it would cheap to live/drive here//

16. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Live in the Heights.

It's quiet, close to downtown, I-10 and Washington is right down the street.

17. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

Thank you everyone for the advice.

18. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

I am moving to the heights from montrose at the end of the month. I think something in that area would be good. Also, my friend loves her place at Jackson Hill, so you might want to look at that complex.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lol wut...the nice apartments in Houston are in the 2000 range for a 1 BR. There are definitely a ton of apartments out there in that range.