1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seeding Breakdown (BestCase for Houston)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Obviously if we beat the spurs tonight a lot of things change in this scenario, but lets assume the Spurs beat us again tonight. What would need to happen for our houston rockets to be positioned in the best place possible...here it is

Its pretty obvious that other than dallas most ppl want to play Por in the first round....( Revenge, Home court, Weakest west team Imo without WM) So what has to happen for this to become Reality

SA: Hou W ,Pho W, No W 56-26
    LAC: Mem W, Den W, Pho W 56-26
    Mem: Uta W, Lac L, GS L, Ind W 55-25
    Hou: SA L, NO W, Cha W, UTA W 56-26

Seeding
    1.GS
    2.LAC
    3.SA
    4.POR
    5.Hou
    6.Mem
    7.Dal
    8.OKC

Please object or add anything that will make things clearer so us fans can have a clear vision of who to root for

Beard4MVP

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Playing Portland would hinge on the Rockets winning out(assuming they lose tonight) and Memphis losing at least 2 more games, including to the Clippers tomorrow night.

I want the 2nd seed, but I have to admit that's not such a bad consolation prize. Portland is not the same team as last year. Matthews is out. Afflalo's health is in doubt after last night. And while their bench is better than a year ago, so is ours(even with the D-Mo and Bev injuries). And while the Warriors would be waiting for us in the 2nd round(barring the upset of the decade), it wouldn't exactly suck to avoid either the Clippers or Spurs, at least til the WCF.

Still, it's too unpredictable to count on this playing out this way. What if the Grizzlies beat the Clippers, but still lose 2 more games? We could wind up in 3rd place which means probably LA in Round 1 and no home court in Round 2 if we somehow survive that series. Or worse, what if the Grizzlies don't lose 2 more games? We could wind up in 6th place and not even have home court in the first round.

Just win tonight and let the chips fall where they may.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right now I'm not even worried about the 2 seed. I'm just worried about avoiding SAS. I'll take the matchup with Portland any day of the week over SA.

However you're gonna have to try some lineups or play Johnson on Lillard alot.

Guarding Aldridge has been an issue of course so Josh Smith and Jones will have to be on their A game when Dwight gets switched and they have to box out Lopez.

That's if we are fortunate enough to get Portland.

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Haven't checked reports but I believe Afflalo is out for a while with an arm injury.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's not confirmed yet. They're running more tests today, so we'll know for sure soon. Well, unless they're like the Rockets and just say he's out "indefinitely".

But if he misses even a couple weeks, that's bad news for Portland. The playoffs could be starting for them in as soon as 8 days.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Best scenario still may #2 spot playing Dallas with Rondo as their PG, he's not the scoring threat that Damien Lillard is as we all saw how he dominated the series against the Rockets last season. The 37 year old Terry and 38 yr old Prigs against Lillard just doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside LOL. Lillard is a nightmare match up for the rockets even with Patrick Beverly playing. Who knows.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

In the following list:
    4.POR
    5.Hou

The rockets will have HCA, right? Division title is kind of useless in West. In East you can make into the playoff with the division title if you are bad. It is so much confusion with this kind title in the list.

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

yes the 5th seed will likely have HCA over Portland.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

IMO:

Best Case Scenario = Dallas
    Worst Case Scenario = Spurs
    What I want = Rematch against the Blazers

10. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I know it sounds awful, but at this point I'm glad we're going to make the playoffs and don't expect us to win.

You can't lose 2 quality players like Bev and Dmo and expect to advance, unless your team is just THAT deep. I'm not saying those players are superstars, but what we have behind them plus chemistry changes without them is a huge deal.

We've been dealing with injuries a long time. A long, long time. I'll root for them all day long, but when I saw the Dmo update it just settled in. That being said, I'm really tired of being excited for "neat year"...

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we loses to Pels, we are stuck w/6. You don't think Pop will look for us in the first round?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We need this win tonight.

We worked so hard this season, we deserve the 2nd seed. To fall to 5th would ****ing suck.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not expecting much from this offseason. harden redeeming himself with a good showing would be nice though. same goes for TJ. not looking forward to the massacre that terry/prigs are due to receive on D

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2nd seed, Pels out of playoffs, second round advancement at minimum. In a perfect world.

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a non-division winner (Clippers) ties with a division winner, division winner would win the tiebreaker for the top 4 seeds. At least I think that's how that works!

#15 desihooper, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  16. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

My prediction:

Seeding
    1.GS
    2.HOU
    3.LAC
    4.POR
    5.SA
    6.Mem
    7.Dal
    8.OKC

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the warriors could be resting guys against the grizz since its the second to last game of the season. if the grizz win, it could create a 4 way tie between hou/mem/sas/lac

how would the seeding be broken down then?

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The rockets need to make a statement tonite. Not just beat them, but give the the worst loss they've ever had under Tim Duncan. Or die trying.

Nice thread op.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't want the Spurs in the First Round
    Need to get our playoff legs first.

Best Case we would not see Spurs or GS until the Finals

Rocket River

20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I'm with you, Nick. This team has been, for the most part, busting arse all season, meanwhile, the Spurs have been resting guys, limiting minutes, and not getting serious until the 2nd half of the season as they believe they can just turn it on and jump into the 2nd seed (I'm not saying that its a bad strategy, mind you). Well, screw the spurs. Its long past time that this dynasty end and they fade back into mediocrity.

That said, I don't know who I'd rather see the Rockets face in the first round... I mean, there are some teams that I would LOVE to see us destroy and crush their championship dreams, however, those are also the same teams that I would absolutely HATE to lose to.