1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second pick in Roto League... what to do

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SmeggySmeg, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

am in a very competitive roto league.... standard sort of categories (including turnovers) on yahoo, 12 teams, face to face draft this saturday, i have the second pick and fairly sure unless he trades it the first pick will be Paul... who i would have probably taken at 2 if he was there.....

assuming Paul is gone.. what are people's thought's for me it comes down to Lebron, KO or Amare....my thinking is i probably need the 3s, assists and steals with the first pick and there will be plenty of great board and block options with my #2 or #3 pick....

at this stage even with his FT issues I am leaning to Lebron.... I have a bad feeling about Kobe with fatigue and injuries and just not sure if i should roll the dice on Amare who's numbers are awesome

thoughts???

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

kobe is a better pick...........

If you go Lebron, just "can" freethrow percentage and grab Dwight as well, Shaq............

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I expect Kobe's #s to decline slightly due to increased team depth. I would go with LBJ.

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

#1 and #2 should be Lebron and Kobe.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would go Lebron then Amare. Would not want to be the guy stuck with Kobe. Someone like Stephen Jackson fills the stat sheet the same way. He doesn't provide much special value.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh and ya, forget the FT issues. Forfeit that category and win the rest. Lebron is worth it IMO. If you want to play FT% safe go with Amare. But if you give up on FT% it opens you up to so many more players.

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I would actually go with Amare. You don't "forfeit" cats in roto, this is why you should try to avoid D-Howard. As good as his rbs, pts, fg and blks are, his ft cat alone could sink you to the bottom of the ft line. All fantasy points are equal in roto, and you should always try to build a balanced team with no setbacks. Lebron hurts you in ft and TOs, while Amare is a safe bet big man with stellar FG%(no.1 actually), good Rbs & Blks, awesome FT% (80.5%), and above average Ast and Stl numbers while being one of the top scorers in the league. Notice something? ZERO setbacks. He could be the core of an efficient, big man oriented team that will grab the TO and even FT sections. A bounce to David West, for example, would be extremely solid. Pair him with Boozer, and you're set to dominate the FG% cat. his production should be consistent under a more half court oriented coach (Porter) and playing alongside Shaq has really helped him. No major injury issues either. Definitely 2nd pick material.

Lebron, on the other hand, is more versatile and could win you the Ast category while focusing on big men (adding efficient player that rack up assists, like Deron or Calderon, helps). It's a pain to make up for his FT and TOs though. your choice.

I would avoid Kobe. he's not repairing his pinkie, which is always a concern, plus he just hurt his knee. health is suspect, and that's vital in roto leagues, where you depend on year round performances to stand out. He's also 30 and has less upside than lebron or amare.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have forfeited FTs and TOs many a time and come out no worse than 2nd. Forfeiting FTs is not bad and can indirectly aid in your O+D rebounding along with FG%. A guy like Howard fills up pts,fgm,fta,bpg,orpg,drpg, worth a top 20 pick IMO. Balance can lead to you losing on a regular basis. You dominate the categories you can and try to rectify your weaknesses later. Just a strategy. Not saying you are wrong. New perspective...

9. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

You are absolutely right if this were a H2H league. Howard should definitely go in the 2nd round then. I don't know what league you're playing in, but probably it's a H2H league, not a roto league. There are fundamental differences. And I thought we're talking about a standard league, which is 12 man, 9 cat. So I guess it's just FG%, Rbs, FT% instead of all the distinctions you made.

Woah, it seems like me and Ziggy are really jumping around in the fantasy forum! Yay! :p

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I'd take James.

The FT's wont hurt you that much.

Kobe is dealing with the finger injury so a bigger ? over him.

Of course if no 1 goes for anyone than Paul - nab him!

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wanna say I have been in a category based non head2head league. The entire league is ranked by category and the lower your number (closer to 1st) when added wins. Hybrid I guess.

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

If it's twelve team roto, and you're sure about picking Lebron over Kobe, then go with Lebron...you'll have plenty of interesting FT% options at the #23 and #26 anyways, and most of the options at that stage will be big men that would just be redundant if you picked Amare...

Rashard Lewis at 24
    Kevin Martin at 28
    Yao at 31

Kevin Martin and Yao can both single handily win the FT% category for you...that is if you really are concerned about that one category...