1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seattle Seahawks Michael Bennett and the Las Vegas PD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sugrlndkid, Sep 7, 2017.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Surprised this wasnt a story on the forum here...

Las Vegas PD version of events...

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What makes this difficult is that we know Bennett was already an activist pushing exactly this narrative before the incident so I think I'll withhold judgement one way or the other until more video comes out. I mean, he certainly has a reason to lie or exaggerate the truth, just as the officer would if he did anything wrong, but it's not fair to assume which one is lying. Given how many cameras were on that street, I'd be willing to bet that before long we'll get a full notion of what happened and we'll have a good idea about what the truth is. There's really no reason to rush to a judgement on this one.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

i think it is a reach for him to say it was because he was black.

4. omgTHEpotential

He has to, otherwise it wouldn't get as much attention. Whatever furthers his agenda.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Irrespective of this incident, this is really the fundamental problem. There are scores of people who don't want to believe it happens despite all the data that says it happens. It's appalling that we have to go through this exercise over and over again.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I never really took that allegation seriously, it's obvious that the reason he said that was due to his ridiculous activism. What I'm interested in is if the officers did anything wrong, not about some moronic racism allegation.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm sure you guys waiting on more video on the Nurse as well .. . . .right .. . oh wait. . she's not. . . . . . . ..

Rocket River

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Lol what a dumb letter. Why would he include the parts about the flag and both officers being minorities? Idiot. Murrrrrrica!!!

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If she claimed to have been racially discriminated against as Bennett did then people probably wouldn't believe it either.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I thought the police were part of the legal arm of the government that were supposed to investigate things and send anything necessary on to the courts. Them asking the NFL to investigate something outside of the NFL seems backwards, ridiculous, and a slippery slope. If I do something outside of work someone does not like, are they going to start requesting my employer perform investigations?

I guess the NFL has somewhat put themselves in this position with their previous rulings/suspensions on other actions that occurred outside the league, but it's not a trend I like.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

It's not the police that asked - it's their union or some police officer's association of some sort.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Thanks for the clarification. It does not really change my point though. If they think they were defamed, why are they handling it through the NFL instead of through normal legal channels?

14. Major

Major Member

Because it's mostly a PR thing for them - similar to how the Cleveland police association said they were offended by some Browns players so they wouldn't hold the flag at the game, etc. They know they couldn't win a lawsuit, and the optics of a police association suing a black man they held at gunpoint would probably wouldn't go well for them.

This statement is just a general rant written by some angry dude. The whole "and they were minorities!" part demonstrates they really have no idea what they are talking about.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Guess that makes sense. Basically they feel they've been attacked in their profession and have returned the favor.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And there are scores of liberals who don't want to admit the biggest problem is blacks encounter police waaay too much because of crime

The black murder rate is five times the rest of America

Edit: speaking of data, police kill more whites than blacks on a yearly basis

17. amaru

amaru Member

This country is almost 80% white , so of course. When you adjust for population, more blacks are killed by police than whites

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I know you're just a RussianLegend style troll but why do blacks "encounter" police more often? Let's walk you back to the root causes.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well certainly, but when you factor in that black people commit more than 50% of the total murders in the country it kind of makes sense that there would be a higher rate of deadly interaction with police as well given that they frown on those who go around murdering people. When you have disproportionate representation when it comes to killing people, you'll have disproportionate representation when it comes to being killed by those tasked with stopping people from killing people.

Also, when it comes to "white" population in this country, if you don't count Hispanics that overwhelmingly count as "white", it's closer to 62%. Not that it really matters, I just wanted to slow down the narrative that the country is 80% "white", given that a minority group makes up 11 or 12% (not counting those who are here illegally) of that "white" population, that sort of hurts the narrative that the country is just full of pasty white people. They are still a majority in most states and will be for the next 10 years or so, but it's not a crazy majority like some think.

20. amaru

amaru Member

I skimmed this because after reading the second line I can see you missed my point.

I was pointing out to PGA that it's a tad disingenuous to directly compare a stat that is adjusted to population size to an unadjusted stat.

Do you agree that this is at best academically lazy if not disingenuous?

Rereading the first line it sounds like you are agreeing with me, so I'm a tad confused why the other paragraphs were included in a response to my post