1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean Taylor to the Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Lil Francis, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

ESPN reported the Lions and Pats reached a trade today that would send the #6 pick to the Pats for their 2 #1 picks and a third round pick. The deal only goes down if the Skins pass up on Taylor with the 5th pick.

2. fatman510

fatman510 Member

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

This helps the Skins, now everyone knows Taylor wont fall past 5.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yep that sucks. I saw it on "Around The Horn".

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

OK c'mon Casserly swallow your disdain for Snyder long enough to get a deal done.

Actually though as much as I'd want Taylor, I'll still be happy with Hall if we go DB help or Wilfork if we go DL. I'm pretty sure Hall will be there at 10 despite his amazing workouts, and I think he could learn a lot from Glenn about being an undersized DB in the league.

6. tozai

tozai Member

I think we're going to trade down for more picks anyways, so it doesn't matter.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What's the big deal -- he wasn't supposed to fall anywhere near #10.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

there is too much of an obsession with Sean Taylor. The Texans do not need to mortage other draft picks for one guy. Detroit is getting a helluva deal if this actually does go down. 2 #1's and a #2 draft pick is way too much to give up.

9. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

Shouldnt the Pats be working on their running back situation? Why do they need another safety when the have rodney harrison?

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

from what I hear, the Texans are more interested in trading down then they are in trading up. They feel (as do I) that there is more than just one hole that needs to be filled.

Unless a golden opportunity lays itself at our feet, I think we will be picking @ 10 or above

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I agree with you Stu, you said it perfectly, but I'm kinda sad to see this deal happen. Even though it was unlikely for the Texans to get him, I still wanted Sean Taylor.

I guess it was the torture of having to see Matt Stevens even get to play in the league that made me really want a safety like him.:D

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Sadly, Sean Taylor was always a pipedream for us Texans fans. The new Scouts, Inc. mock draft has Houston taking DeAngelo Hall at #10, anyway. If Taylor goes to the Rookie Shoot, I'll be sure to tell him about Houston's rabid obsession with him. :)

I am a little bewildered by the Patriots. Can they really count on Kevin Faulk to be their starter? Didn't they try that already? Maybe they're just waiting until the June 1st cuts to pick up an RB (although I'm not sure who will be available...).

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I actually believe that the Pats are trading up to get a receiver (whomever is left out of Roy Williams, Mike Williams or Larry Fitzgerald).

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The price of this deal seems way out of whack for a safety. The Pats could stand pat and select the #2 safety and the #2 running back and and still get a potential pro bowler with the second round pick they are giving up. If this deal happens I hope we can look back in a couple of years and say this was the first crack in the fall of the Pats dynasty.

I'd say it's looking like D'Angelo Hall with the #10 because of his potential to help this team make the playoffs in 2006 or 7. I don't think we would see that much of him next year.

If Roethlisberger somehow drops to #10 we may get a jucy trade down deal from a team wanting to jump in front Pittsburgh. The only way I see that happening though is if Mike Williams stays elegible, SD chickens out on Manning and Arizona passes on a quarterback like Denny Green is saying. Tis the season for blowing smoke though, you can't believe anything anyone says.
    The KFFL site quotes about every coach from the #10 to the #20 saying they want to trade down.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I don't doubt it. The Patriots definitely need a big play receiver, and they could hit a home run with any of the big 3. Franchise receivers are damn hard to come by, and there are three in this year's draft.

But, with Ty Law burning his bridges in New England, they're most likely looking at Sean Taylor as his replacement. Taylor is the closest thing to a sure thing, and should be in the Pro Bowl by his second season. Typically, Miami players are sure things in the NFL.

Here's to hoping that Casserly has the balls to pick another receiver with our #10 pick this year if any of the big three fall to us. I keep saying, with Andre and Roy split wide, Bradford in the slot, and Miller at TE, Domanick Davis would have some ridiculous holes to run through. And if the defense wants to put 8 in the box, Carr can find Roy or AJ all day long on go routes.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This sean taylor obsession is unnatural...there's a reason why safetys are among the lowest paid position players in the league.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely and completely agreed. we will get an impact player at our pick...a good defensive player.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Max I hope you didn't forget about our bet. You gonna have nightmares about THE CHOP:D

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Looks like it might not go through:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-lionsdenyreportofpatsdeal&prov=knight&type=lgns

The New England Patriots might think they have a conditional agreement for the sixth pick in the NFL draft but the Lions don't see it that way.

Lions vice president Bill Keenist denied a published report that team president Matt Millen and coach Steve Mariucci have given the Patriots a "standing offer" involving an exchange of first-round picks, a second-round pick and a swap of fourth-round picks.

"Matt and Steve have and will talk to a lot of people leading up to the draft," Keenist said Thursday.

"This is nothing more than typical pre-draft speculation. There is nothing more to it than that."

A report in the Boston Globe, quoting an unidentified source, said the Lions would give the Patriots the No. 6 pick in exchange for the Nos. 21 and 32 picks in the first round, a pick in the second round (Nos. 56 or 63) and a swap of fourth-round picks that would drop the Lions from No. 105 overall to 113.

The deal would be contingent on Miami safety Sean Taylor being available at No. 6.

Considering what Mariucci told the Free Press on Tuesday, during the NFL meetings at Palm Beach, the deal -- with three more weeks to field offers from other teams -- is unlikely.

"One concern is moving from six to 21," Mariucci said.

"That's a drop, a pretty good drop. You wouldn't do it just for those two picks; it would require more."

It is doubtful a late second-round pick and an eight-slot drop in the fourth round would be enough to change Mariucci's mind.

The Patriots are the only team with two first-round picks. Millen and Mariucci indicated they would listen to a variety of offers, but unless they were given a blockbuster offer, they probably would not make a deal until draft day.

The Patriots' current offer hardly qualifies.

By dropping to 21st in the first round, the Lions could still get a quality player but it is unlikely they would get the high-impact player that likely would be available at No. 6 -- Miami tight end Kellen Winslow, Texaswide receiver Roy Williams, Taylor or any of the top running backs.

If they trade at all, Millen and Mariucci have indicated they would prefer to stay in the middle of the first round and perhaps acquire an additional second-round pick.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

brutha, there is no way i'm forgetting that bet!!! the more i read of the braves this season, the more convinced i am of my position. the NL power has shifted....the Braves strength has been their amazing pitching staff...that's gone now....the Braves' strength last year was a powerful offense....that's gone now, too.

i can't freaking wait for baseball season....the nba is killing me slowly and painfully.