1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scottie Pippen explains why the Jazz's defense has been so bad vs. Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

vlaurelio, D-rock and Haymitch like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can Scottie explain why his defense was so bad against Kobe ?

arubato and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Per Zach Lowe, same blueprint Spurs used so successfully vs. Harden in 2016-2017 playoffs.

So Pippen should have credited Pop, instead of making it seem like he thought of it himself.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/zachlowe26559923/james-harden-breaking-defense-embarrassed-him

4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

@Rox>Mavs i want to let you know that your post in the legendary lebron regret post was amazing. A spot on analysis. I would like to start a petition to re-open that thread. It was probably locked because it’s greatness was too high in intensity for the majority of the population.

Rox>Mavs likes this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I’ll co-sign that....so many more layers and themes yet to unfold. I think we can all look back on it for games and years to come and see how prophetic it truly was. Alas....that knowledge must remain hidden. Locked away for another era.

iNoseBleedRed likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is what he said,

But the Spurs also unveiled a template for defending Harden that would spread across the league. It was simple: When Clint Capela set a pick for Harden, Capela's man was to plant himself near the hoop and lie in wait for Harden.
    That is ICE Defense of a PnR, which Tom Thibodeau invented while with Boston. It was first used for side PnRs, so maybe Spurs were the first to do ICE for a High PnR, not sure. But I doubt it, since ICE on side PnR is just so pervasively used in the NBA, for quite awhile. But the main difference between of Spurs defense, and any defense of a PnR, is it his done against a pick. And Lowe clearly says that.

That is not what the Bucks did. They are doing ICE of an ISO....which is a name I coined, and Coach Nick of BBALLBREAKDOWN agreed in a tweet exchange I had with him.

What Lowe is saying is that one way to defend the Harden/Capela PnR a few years ago was to drop the big, and force Harden one way. That is ICE. However, without sending help, that means Capela and Harden just shed that defender and both are going downhill directly at a solo defender. It becomes a 2 on 1 mini-fastbreak, without sending help. Spurs used ICE of a center PnR and created a great help-rotation methodology without giving up too many open threes.

Here's a description of Thibodeau inventing ICE, which grew to be used against High PnRs, too:

One of Thibodeau’s inventions during his time in Boston, one that he has carried with him throughout his coaching career is the concept of the ICE defense as a way to defend the side pick-and-roll with just two defenders. ICE has become a very popular scheme and is now used across the NBA.
    From my seats, what Harden's Evolution has done is realized that instead of attacking ICE with Capela out front setting the pick, he was going to add the Side-Step 3 to his ISO arsenal. And he added the floater for 4 out 1 isolation situations (with Capela in short corner), plus any of the times they still ran High PnR vs a drop defender.

Then Bucks saw the Super Saiyan mode of Jame's ISO, so they said, "Hey, we can still ICE this." Hence, the shade.

7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Scottie pippen may be the worst “analyst” ever to grace the airwaves

D-rock likes this.