1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[SciFi Cinema] Ridley Scott's 'Alien: Covenant'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 24, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://movieweb.com/predator-terminator-same-movie-universe-fan-theory/
    Proof Predator and Terminator Take Place in the Same Movie Universe?
    [​IMG]
    CommentsEmail
    RYAN SCOTT | 9 hours ago
    Fan theories are often little more than fun, and when it really comes down to it, they're probably nothing substantial in the scheme things. But every once in awhile, one comes around that has some serious legitimacy to it, and could change the way we look at a particular movie franchise. Or in this case, a couple of franchises. If there is any truth to this latest theory, it looks like Predator and The Terminator are directly linked to one another and take place in the same movie universe.

Aside from the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger starred in both movies, as Dutch in Predator and the T-800 in The Terminator, there is nothing that actually connects those movies and suggests that they exist in the same universe. Until now, that is. The theory comes courtesy of Cracked and, the lynchpin of this whole thing comes from a pretty obscure place. The connective tissue between these franchises may exist in the 1994 Aliens Vs. Predator arcade game, of all places. Here is how Cracked explains it.

"The closest we get to an answer is in the Aliens Vs. Predator arcade game. In the game, we meet a cyborg by the name of Major Dutch Schaefer. Is this the same Dutch we know and adore? Erhm, maybe? The chest size certainly checks out, as both Schwarzenegger and "Major Dutch" could fit an air conditioning unit in a single pec. But all we know, backstory-wise, is that it's a cyborg created to battle extra-terrestrials. That particular goal seems to imply that his success against the Jungle Predator definitely made him a worthy candidate to be immortalized in metal. This works well within the U.S. government's purview as well, so it also backs up the theory that they had a hand in creating him. Could the government have purposely sent multiple teams of men into the Predator's clutches in hopes of finding a perfect template for their robot hero?"

Since Aliens and Terminator are both from the mind of James Cameron, it isn't that insane to imagine that those franchises could be somehow linked. But Predator being linked to Terminator is a big deal, and this theory only gets more plausible as you continue to dig in. Cyber-Dutch's serial number is CDS-170A3 in the video game. CDS stands for Cyberdyne Systems, according to this theory, making Cyber-Dutch the proto-Terminator, created by Cyberdyne Systems, the company from Terminator. Jumping to Aliens, the theory states that the android Ash, has a serial number from Hyperdyne Systems; 120-A/2. While the formatting is a bit different, that would match the 170A3 for Cyber-Dutch. It has also been long theorized by fans that Cyberdyne systems eventually becomes Hyperdyne systems, which would help support this element of the theory.

Another huge clue that this theory may be totally legit has to do with the original plan for the Alien Vs. Predator movie. According to Cracked, the movie was originally going to include Arnold Schwarzenegger, but he wound up winning his recall election and stayed on as the Governor of California. Had he lost, the movie series was going to have a cyborg version of Dutch fighting Xenomorphs and Predators. While this could just be coincidental, it is very intriguing.

None of the Terminator movies show who the model for the T-800 was, which make this theory much more plausible. But there is a deleted scene from Terminator 3 that features Arnold Schwarzenegger as a character named Sergeant Candy, who's appearance was used as the basis for the T-800 (though Candy had a much different accent that was later changed by the military, as seen in the clip). Since that scene didn't ultimately make the cut, that may not count. So, if that isn't being considered part of the official Terminator canon, why not see who can defeat an unstoppable alien murder weapon and base The Terminator off of that person? It makes sense, but until someone involved with the franchises comes forward and makes it so, this is just something fun to consider. Though, as fan theories go, this one is pretty solid. Perhaps The Predator reboot will give us the true answer when it arrives in 2018.

2. droxford

droxford Member

I'd be willing to give 3 a second chance if they movie studio would completely replace the cgi with newer, better cgi. The poor visual effects just ruin it for me. The moment I get anywhere close to enjoying the film, I see the crappy cartoon graphic of the alien coming at them and it completely kills the mood.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yeah, I'm watching it too!

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The special effects are very bad. I think the part you are talking about is actually the puppet that they green screened into the film. It looks horrible.

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I have heard that the original script that William Gibson wrote for Alien 3 was really good, but was never used.

#165 Chilly_Pete, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

In the making of doc on blu ray the producers said that they hired WG and were hoping for something original but it turned out to be pretty standrad. So they went with the wooden planet script which in turn was changed multiple times.

It doesn't look to bad in the extended version on blu ray. I think they went back and touched it up some.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I liked it that Newt survived in the WG script.

Ripley had become Newt's surrogate mother in Aliens, so to kill her off in 3 was pretty cold.

#168 Chilly_Pete, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

Just powered through all of em for the first time in a while. I now rank em
    1. Aliens (+1)
    2. Alien (-1)
    3. Prometheus (0)
    4. AVP (+2)

The other ones shouldn't have been made and suck oh so much, but if forced to continue:

5. Alien 3 (0)
    6. AVP: Requiem (+1)
    7. Alien Resurrection (-3)

Can't wait for the new one

#169 Fantasma Negro, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How much of Elisabeth Shaw do we get to watch?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I haven't seen the movie yet but from all accounts she is barely in it. Just token appearance.

But, you can see her in this prologue.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

David is on a mission.

Deuce likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So with McBride and Franco both in it, will be kind of a Pineapple Express 2?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Got to see this in IMAX

15. conquistador#11

does it live up to the 70%+ on rotten tomatoes?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Resurrection wasn't as bad as AVP Requiem.
    at least the director's cut.

LCAhmed likes this.
  17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Resurrection is a hot mess but there are genuine moments of imagination. AVP was just a straight up turd. When they went with a glorified straight to video director (the lesser Paul Anderson) I knew the franchise was dead.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I thought Winnona's character was interesting cause she was a droid created by other droids to save humanity.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Just finished watching this and I think I loved it. Will definitely try to watch it again at some point this weekend but for now I give it a 4.5/5 :eek:

Deuce, GRENDEL and tinman like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea. 70% is probably what I'd give it. Good, not great. Fun, especially if you're a fan of the franchise, but a lot of parts that were meh.

Rox11 likes this.