1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scientific study: bank shots often more accurate

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110310151224.htm

Can someone explain the third chart to me:

[​IMG]

2. The Situation

The Situation Member

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It shows the area where the bank shot is the preferred shot and the degree of such preference. For example, where it's red (+20%), the bank shot is 20% more effective and where it's purpose (+10%), it's only 10% more effective and so on.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

thanks

it looks like for the majority of court area, the bank shot is more accurate, but it doesn't seem like the preferred choice of shot selection by players

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I believe it's the infrared heat sensing image of a camera positioned inside a toilet bowl looking up. Not sure why it is the preferred shot, though.

6. devilsdandruff

yes. it's more accurate. that's why it's there.

7. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Rudy T was the master of the bank shot as a player.

I think it has fallen out of favor with players because it doesn't look as good

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Accurate my ass. Just depends on how skilled you are with it. Obviously Timmy D is going to be accurate with it, while players like... Ared Effries wouldn't be.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Like underhanded free throws are better than overhead free throws. Aesthetics and image does play a part in it, so bank shots and underhanded shots wont be done any time soon.

Maybe its harder to concentrate on a banker when you're on the move.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Just depends on each person. I can't make underhanded anythings to save my life.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's just not practiced enough...if you dont practice it, then you're not going to be accurate with it, period.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="380" height="290" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PetqKh7lr8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

/sarcasm

i don't know, it depends on the shooter

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

After doing some important high intensity research on my basketball goal, I concur that the bank shot is indeed more helpful when shooting from the sides.

I must also add that hook shots from beyond the 3-pt line, on any sides, is not recommended as it has the lowest percentage out of all types of shots.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I must agree from about 15ft and withing 30 degrees in as long as you aim at the top corner of the box and spin it a little it will go in.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...where is the analytics guy when you need him to argue that the direct shot is the better shot because it increases your chances of the ball coming back to you on a rebound making it an overall more effective shot?

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe underhanded free throws are more accurate in a vacuum, but players can't shoot underhanded in game, so they invariably have much more practice with overhanded shooting motion.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That reasoning is flawed. How many times in a game does a player get a chance to shoot a wide open shot or any shot at all from the free throw line? If you practice constantly only shooting underhanded free throws the number of shots you take from the free throw line will be more underhanded even if you factor in game shots where you aren't shooting underhanded.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yes, it depends on each player's skill set. some players are better at shooting off the glass than others, but that's not the point.

the point is, given the data, players should be trained to shoot off the glass from certain "preferred spots" for better results.

the difference is you don't tell the player "take this shot, its better" but "practice this shot to get better."

19. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

The point is that a bank shot from those areas has more allowed margin for error in the original release to still eventually get in the hoop.

Now, if you practice so much straight on, that your straight shot is 97.98% accurate and never practice your bank shot so it is only 68.30% accurate, then the fact that bank shots have a 17.586% allowed margin of error versus 5.923% for straight-on will be irrelevant to you.

So this research is best applied by high-school, college, early rookie coaches. I think we all wish that more big men would figure this out, since, from the spots that big men shoot, a bank shot is almost always more accurate (assuming the possibility of dunking is not available).

20. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member