1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schottenheimer out in Washington

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Vengeance, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<i>Sunday, January 13

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0113/1310774.html">Redskins fire Schottenheimer after one season</a>
    ESPN.com news services

Marty Schottenheimer was fired as coach and director of football operations of the Washington Redskins on Sunday night after refusing to relinquish some of his authority.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen and ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli report that sources close to the Redskins say that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder "basically has a deal done" with ex-Florida Gators coach Steve Spurrier to become the team's next coach for a deal worth $25 million over for five years. According to a Web site report from the Washington Post, Spurrier is the Redskins' replacement and he could be named as soon as Monday afternoon.

The team will also hire a general manager, or someone with a similar title.

The reason given for Schottenheimer's dismissal was the coach's inability to relinquish final decision-making control in the event of a disagreement. Schottenheimer will receive the $7.5 million remaining from his original four-year, $10 million deal signed last year.

In his only season with the Redskins, Schottenheimer led the team to an 8-8 record, but owner Dan Snyder was unhappy with some of the coach's personnel moves.

The two met several times over the past week, including twice on Sunday, as Snyder tried to convince the coach of the need to hire a general manager.

A statement issued by the Redskins said the team "concluded it is in the best interests of the team to hire an experienced professional to oversee non-coaching player personnel matters."

Snyder gave Schottenheimer several opportunities to modify his contract. The owner wanted to change a clause that gave the coach the final decisions over player matters when there was disagreement in the front office.

"Coach Schottenheimer gave 100 percent of his efforts to the Redskins and made positive contributions to the team," Snyder said. "Our decision was a difficult one and was based on philosophical and management issues, not on coaching ability."

Spurrier told The Associated Press 'no' when asked if he had met with Snyder or his right-hand man, Pepper Rodgers. The Orlando Sentinel had said a meeting was expected to take place in Gainesville this weekend.

"I'm talking to some teams," Spurrier told the AP from his house Saturday. "Something will probably happen next week."

Snyder pursued Spurrier a year ago, but Spurrier decided to remain at Florida for another season. Snyder then hired Schottenheimer, who was skeptical over Snyder's reputation as a hands-on owner but was won over by the big-money contract that gave him final say on player matters.

Spurrier is now available, having abruptly resigned 10 days ago. On Saturday, he denied he had met with Snyder.

Spurrier would fit the mold of the type of high-profile name preferred by Snyder, whose player signings include Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith and Jeff George.

Possible GM candidates include former Redskins general manager Bobby Beathard, ex-Packers GM Ron Wolf and Bruce Allen, son of former Washington coach George Allen and now a special assistant with the Raiders.

When Schottenheimer was hired, one of the most noticeable changes was that the coach always called the owner by his first name -- former coach Norv Turner always said "Mr. Snyder." Snyder and Schottenheimer became almost chummy as they vacationed in Europe together and even wore matching straw hats at training camp.

But the relationship began to sour when the Redskins started 0-5. Snyder was perplexed by Schottenheimer's decision to release fullback Larry Centers, who was signed by Buffalo and had a Pro Bowl year. Schottenheimer also stuck with George -- with no experienced backup -- through training camp even though it was apparent the quarterback didn't fit Schottenheimer's West Coast system.

With the players near revolt, Schottenheimer called a team meeting and the season turned around. The Redskins won eight of their last 11 games, mirroring the 8-8 finish after an 0-5 start in Joe Gibbs' first season in 1981. Gibbs went on to win three Super Bowls in Washington.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.</i>

Bad move by the idiot Dan Snyder. Marty started off REALLY HORRIBLY, but he came around to produce a dangerous team, even with Tony Banks at QB . . .

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Let's see...4 coaches in 3 years for Danny "the Wonder Boy" Snyder. Yea, I would really like to work for this guy.:rolleyes:

I almost sorta feel sorry for that arrogant ass, Spurrier.

3. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Think of the players that now have to learn 3 different systems, 3 years in a row!

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Un-fuc#ing believable.....

That guy has no sense in how to run a professional sports team, and he is losing respect with the fans.

5. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I can't wait to hear what Schottenheimer has to say.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

And Dungy is expected to be gone out of Tampa within the next few days. Do you guys think he will go anywhere else?

7. Band Geek Mobster

Well I was listening to the radio, and a thought came to my head about Dungy and his future team.

I heard that the Saints have yet to extend their coach and GM, and that they might enter next season without a contract for the next year. I'm thinking Dungy's going to take a year off after he gets fired from the Bucs, and then next season the Saints will let Haslett go and hire Dungy to take his place...

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Anyone feel bad for Schottenheimer?

I don't. I was reading Mortensen's piece on the poor treatment of Schottenheimer by the Redskins. Instead of making me think very highly of Schottenheimer, my first reaction was Schottenheimer deserves it.

Schottenheimer gave up a good paying gig at ESPN where Mortensen says he repeatedly was critical of Snyder and Washington. If Schottenheimer knew Synder was an @$$, Schottenheimer could have waited to find a better coaching job. Instead he accepted to work for Snyder. The only bright thing Marty did was make sure the contract was guaranteed.

Will Marty coach again?

9. haven

haven Member

Spurrier's crazy to accept the deal. Maybe Snyder has learned his lesson... but I rather doubt it.

10. Major

Major Member

<B>Spurrier's crazy to accept the deal. Maybe Snyder has learned his lesson... but I rather doubt it.</B>

The problem with Schottenheimer was that he wanted control over personnel. He got it and that's why he accepted the contract. Snyder asked for that control back, he refused, he got fired.

Spurrier, though, wants no GM responsibilities, so it's a perfect fit. He just wants to do the coaching.

11. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Time for Ol' Charley to raid the Redskin's fridge, er, I mean roster.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I really feel bad for Marty. There is no way he deserves to be fired after just 1 mediocre season. Did Snyder really expect that piece of s**t team to be turned around after just one season? Sure it was possible, but it wasn't likely. I guarentee that if Spurrier has a worse record this next season, or even the season after that, that he probably won't fire him.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Spurrier may not want GM responsibilities, but I am sure he is thinking of an actual GM, not the "I'm Taking My Ball Home Now" Snyder. I am not happy Spurrier is the coach (I hate the Skins) and think he is as good as Snyder possibly could have done for the HC, but if Snyder doesn't get, and trully let, real football people run all aspects of the team even Spurrier won't make magic there.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dungy is not head coach material. He would however, make an excellent excellent defensive coordinator anywhere he goes.

15. Band Geek Mobster

He's one of the most beloved coaches in the entire NFL, players on every team respect him, there's no way that Dungy will be anything but a head coach.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

rockets03,

are you feeling ok? Tony Dungy revitalized a BUCS franchise which had been league doormats for ever, indy would be great to hire him, if he leaves the offense alone, but he never had that kind of talent in tampa like manning, etc.. he sure could coach dallas better than campo

17. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Don't feel sorry for Shotty, the guy is basically getting $10 million for a season of coaching.

Supposedly the major conflict Synder wanting Shotty to fire the OC, and allow Synder to hire a GM. The two sides couldn't agree, Shotty now gets to strut out of DC with $10 mil. Not to bad if you ask me.

Additionally, Spurrier has already stated he doesnt want to play MG/Coach. So this news also appeases Synder.... along with his dream Spurrier will roll out with 4-5 WR sets and avg 40 points a game.