1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School Valedictorian Controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SirCharlesFan, Nov 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm a senior in the top ten percent of my graduating class, and recently there has been a controversy about a girl that is a junior that is planning to graduate early by taking correspondence courses of some sort...

If the girl waited and graduated with her class, without a doubt she'd be the valedictorian. She's never made anything less than a 98 on her report card...

Anyways, the school has said that she can't be valedictorian if she graduates early (and I think she can't even be part of class rankings...) and now her parents are going to sue the school so she can be valedictorian.

Anyone know if there is any possibility that the girl's parents can win this case?

I think it is REALLY unfair for everyone in our class, especially the valedictorian. We have all worked hard to maintain class rank, and now this chick is trying to come into our class and bump us all down one notch...

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

my friend graduated early by taking summer school AND a correspondence course in Tennis! (instead of P.E.)

he was allowed to be in the rankings and was #14 in his class.

I was #187 out of 500-something

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

While I would agree it is quite ****ty for the current valedictorian to lose it after all this time to someone suddenly becoming part of the class, it also seems that if she made the grades and is graduating, then she is part of that class and is valedictorian. However, if the system says you cannot do this, then I think you should have to play by the system if you wanna be valedictorian (i.e. not graduate earlier). As a former screwed valedictorian (well salutatorian after the screwing) I feel for the current valedictorian and would wanna shoot the early graduater. As you can tell, I'm not bitter or anything.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She didn't complete all 4 years so she sure in the hell shouldn't even rank

I'm 2 of 236

gome:)

5. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

"Anyways, the school has said that she can't be valedictorian if she graduates early"

its actually "anyway"...you 10 percenter

:rolleyes:

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

If the new chick ends up being valedictorian after all, when she gets done reading her speech at the ceremony, everyone should boo her.

Also, a couple of people in the back should yell out "You suck!"

That would rule.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't know. This one is tough. Technically she took all the same classes. She is a Senior. She is graduating. And she is totally screwing everything up for everyone, but I don't see why she shouldn't be validvictorian. Personally, who cares anyway.

I ranked 69 out of 754. SAT was a lousy 1090. In Undergraduate I got a GPA of around 3.33 and then in graduate school I got a 3.78 or something. None of it mattered. Bad or good. You still get to where you want to go if you ask me. A lot of people don't even go to college anymore and get 100k per year. So what does it all matter anyway.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The beeotch needs to serve her time in HS. When you graduate, it means you endured 4 years of being hasseled.

9. SirCharlesFan

I've read the school handbook now, and it states that 'All students are classified at the beginning of each school year. Students will not be reclassified during the school year.'

Right now the school is saying she will graduate as a junior, and won't take part in class rankings and other senior activities...

I havn't found anything on graduating early in our handbook, basically because no one ever does it at my school...but do you think what is in the handbook (that i posted) is good enough to keep her from being valedictorian?

Another thing, if the school does have specific rules about this sort of thing already in place, can the parents STILL go to court and possibly have them overturned?

10. haven

haven Member

My sister was not chosen as salutatorian because of an issue like this. She was ranked #2 until the final semester. Then a teacher who didn't like her gave the #3 student 5 bonus points on HER FINAL GRADE! Other students were not given access to the bonus assignment.

Our mother raised a bit of a stink about it, but our lawyer told her there was probably nothing that could be done.

It really pissed me off, though. The salutatorian gave a speech thanking "God for ensuring I won this award." What a load of crap. Little twirp got a cheating handout.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i think that age shouldnt matter, if she has the achieved the same standards better than a classmate, albeit a yr older, she deserves it imho.

By the way ive been in a tough academic class before, last yr i graduated 30th out of 810 with a 4.39 gpa(out of 5), our valevictorian graduated with a 4.71-in essence almost perfect, prob at any other school im number 1 or at worst top 5, but it didnt and still doesnt matter to me today.

Im a proud Longhorn at the University of Texas at Austin

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If you see the hotair Texas Comptroller Woman who makes a lot of noise...please give her a nice kick in the mouth.

Thanks...and go ut

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can she make a jump shot?

What does that matter you say?

Exactly !!!!

What does it matter?

DaDakota

14. SirCharlesFan

DV--if she wanted to be valedictorian, why not just stay and graduate with your own class instead of taking over something you've never been a part of?

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

How did I forget that one of my best friends from high school graduated early (graduated two years ahead of me even though he was younger) and was the valedictorian. However he had already skipped his grade before his senior year (I know he was a junior his 2nd year, not sure if he was a sophomore his 1st) so it's not like he just decided to try to get into the graduating class out of nowhere or that there was a valedictorian who got displaced by him. So technically, I have no problem skipping a grade to graduate, you just shouldn't be able to do it at the last minute.

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does the <i>Student Handbook</i> have a tearout page that the student had to sign and return to the school?

Mango

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

as a current high school student with a pretty high class ranking i would argue that one reason she shouldn't be considered as part of the class is simply because things change... classes change from year to year etc sometimes getting easier sometiems harder.. assignments are sometimes changed depending on how the previous years class did so she coudl have had it easier or something at times.. i'd just be relucant to put someone who has been part of 2003 all her life and suddently alllow her to jump in to 2002 because there are differnces in the curriculum that could favor or hurt her and it isn't fair to compare her i don tthink to the class of 2002

18. SirCharlesFan

yeah...

lots of them. even one that says we cant look up p*rn on the computers at school :)

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

for those who say it doesn't matter.. it matters a heck of a lot to the person being moved out 1st who could potentially lose out on a lot of schlorshp money etc

20. Band Geek Mobster

So I take it you guys are against students that just recently moved into the area becoming valedictorians as well?