1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. conquistador#11

Weird I thought I was in the Houston Texans thread for a second seeing zeeshan

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Kudos MetLife!

MetLife ends discount program with NRA
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/375298-metlife-ends-discount-program-with-nra

Seems to be a growing movement...Simplisafe, Symantec, Hertz, Avis Budget, North American and Allied Van Lines also break away from NRA. Kudos to all of you too!

U.S. Companies Abandon the NRA as Boycott Call Grows
    Symantec, MetLife, and others offering benefits to the group’s members dropped their association following the Parkland massacre.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-23/nra-corporate-partners-hit-with-boycott-calls

R0ckets03 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean Jonathan Martin should know better...

But it should also be pretty clear by now he DEFINITELY has mental issues... that aren't really faults of his own. He's been impacted by years and years of real bullying. No justification for what he did... and the veiled threat he just made...

One of his bully-ers, Richie Incognito, is basically the walking definition of a scum-bag... who, other than his football talent, would not be missed on this planet. The NFL knew this, and he was suspended for a year before coming back to the NFL, getting a $16 million contract, and making it to the pro bowl this year.

I think a lot of people didn't really get into the real details of how much of a scum bag this guy is.

Read this: https://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-from-the-dolphins-investigation-updati-1522846626

Again, the NFL knew all of the above, and have allowed him to play in the NFL, to this day. Look, I'm not some deranged lunatic, I'm not a violent person, etc. But if I'm Jon Martin... well I probably harbor some very very serious feelings of wanting to harm Richie Incognito, for example. I mean, I don't think I need to quote everything in that link - it'd be too long, and again, just read it. But this is a guy who spoke openly about his need for guns in order to shoot black people, on more than one occasion.... among the various other vile things he did. He harassed a female volunteer at a golf event by touching her privates with his golf club, and emptying a bottle of water in her face.

Again, non of this to condone what Jonathan Martin did.

Just to point out for all those out there bemoaning the mental health crisis, sometimes the bigger issue is the fact that there are assholes out there who prey on the "weak" (weak in quotations, it's not weak to just be a normal, nice person, lol) over and over and over with VERY limited punishment.

I've read some articles about how Martin has been picked up by authorities. You don't see many talking about what a scumbag Incognito is, how he's back in the NFL. We all speak around bullying (it's bad, clearly), but don't really publicize it. The fall out of this particular side story will be the "mental" issue of Martin. It should equally be how he got there and how nothing has changed in that regard...

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

heh sorry

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What was the shooter's mental illness diagnosis exactly? Was he an angry elf?

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

A math teacher would have been able to use his geometry skills locate and take down the shooter. Maybe a Spanish teacher could have provided some distraction by saying a few words in Spanish. Maybe we need a chemistry teacher.

[​IMG]

mdrowe00 and heypartner like this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

When you are fighting for your own life, the option of wait outside for the other guys to do something doesn't exist. You either defend yourself or not. You are saying you don't want to give them the option of self defense because the police will be coming along (despite evidence they actually won't do ****)

Continue to call them the "good guys" tho.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you are fighting for your own life but the shooter is standing in front of bystanders and you shoot and miss and start hitting bystanders then you are adding to the body count.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Can the Broward County sheriff be impeached? How has he not resigned in disgrace?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Okay... first off there has been media attention and even town halls for the shootings in inner city Chicago. Second, I don’t really see how that helps the NRA considering those grieving black mothers are grieving because their children were killed with guns.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Gun ownership isn’t going to be illegal in our lifetime. I own a number of guns and logistically the government cannot make it illegal.

Assault style rifles could be banned but handguns and other guns will remain legal. What needs to be done is the system needs to be similar to Canada. You can still own guns in Canada but the background checks are more involved, the gun show loop hole doesn’t exist and the waiting period is longer with mandatory classes.

Those thinking they will ban gun ownership are wasting their time. Likewise those calling for less restriction on gun ownership are insane.

mdrowe00 and Amiga like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

Kudos Delta!

17. NewRoxFan

Wow... CNN releases emails between them and Parkland survivor family showing they didn't "script" students... and showing that the parent tried to doctor the email. What in the world would possess someone to do something like this at a time of such a horrible event... oh yea, trump. And btw, either "version" seems to defeat the original charge against CNN... both suggest CNN was simply shortening the the "answer" so everyone could talk.

Father who claims CNN fed school shooting survivor son 'scripted' town hall question accused of doctoring emails with producer
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...legedly-doctored-cnn-emails-article-1.3839063

[​IMG]

Fox news continuing to report CNN scripted:
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/...te-questions-says-florida-student-colton-haab

Trump tweeted about it:

Nook likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just terrible to see our resident far left propaganda minister attacking the family of victims like this.....

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

So the NRA is taking the blame on this one?

20. NewRoxFan