1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

An interesting and hopeful byproduct of current events... kudos to these companies.

Enterprise, Alamo, National will no longer give NRA members discounts on car rentals
    https://www.dallasnews.com/business...longer-give-nra-members-discounts-car-rentals

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

It appears that something called the Dickey Amendment has made getting more info on gun-related deaths difficult.

Info on the amendment and effect: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02/gun-violence-public-health/553430/
    [​IMG]

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There Was a “Good Guy With a Gun” at the Parkland Shooting. He Did Nothing

The president’s solution is: More guns in America’s schools will mean less gun violence in those schools. A good guy with a gun would have saved lives at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when Nikolas Cruz went on a six-minute shooting spree before dropping his AR-15 rifle and walking out of the school building in an effort to blend in with students evacuating.

The problem is that there was a good guy with a gun at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that day. Security videos showed School Resource Deputy Scot Peterson was armed and in uniform on the school campus when the shooting started, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters Thursday. But he stood by as the violence unfolded. “What I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of Building 12, take up a position, and never went in,” Israel said. School Resource Officers are tasked with providing security on campus, and two other officers are facing an internal investigation for their response to the shooting. “They could have done more, they should have done more,” Israel said. When asked what the 54-year-old officer should have done, Israel responded: “Went in and addressed the killer. Killed the killer.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...-a-good-guy-with-a-gun.html?via=recirc_recent

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That NRA spokesperson is fking crazy. Not mentally right to own gun.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I better go buy my first gun before it becomes illegal. Been thinking about buying one for years.

cml750 likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

Wow, that is pretty damning if true. Looks like the state may need to investigate that. It would definitely explain why the shooter was investigated so often with no consequences.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

I am considering buying my first handgun. I have always had some hunting rifles. I see no way they can make guns illegal short of repealing the 2nd amendment or stacking the court system with liberals who legislate from the bench which will not happen until at least 2021.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think Astrodome is being serious.

btw, it's still funny that when conservative don't agree with ruling, it's legislating from the bench. Little thought but good MKT phrase.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am serious. I have never owned a firearm. When a couple of left leaning friends evacuated to my house during Harvey, they brought multiple guns with them and that kinda swayed me to start looking at purchasing. I never felt the need for one but I did have a daughter last year so protecting my family has become a priority.

10. NewRoxFan

Those clinging (heh) to Second Amendment hopes around any possible assault weapon bans may be a bit disappointed. There have been cases ruled in US Appeals Courts that allowed bans on assault weapons. And the US Supreme Court hasn't shown an interest in overturning such lower court rulings...

Does the Second Amendment Protect Assault Weapons? 4 Courts Said No.
    http://www.governing.com/topics/pub...Protect-Assault-Weapons-4-Courts-Said-No.html

U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Assault Rifle, Open-Carry Appeals
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-carry-appeals-rejected-by-u-s-supreme-court

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

LOL. Okay.

btw, I'm not laughing at you. Just find the reasoning amusing... to each their own

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

You know, I blame the dispatcher.

...if they had just told this guy it was some wild n!gg3r in that school shooting at people, that guy would have moved in there and emptied every round at anything moving.

...then all would have been right with the world...

There's procedure and protocol to be followed in these things....

14. NewRoxFan

"never so unimpressed by a person in my life." Those Parkland students are an eloquent voice of the times. How long before the trump supporters start to attack?

15. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If you get some lighter fluid and a match you can have two for free, but not for very long.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I will admit the husband comes from a conservative family but his wife is a die hard liberal who was pro Bernie. He doesn't like Trump
    I am new to this parenting thing. And the marriage thing as well. I have never had the need for a gun in my opinion. I would be stupid if I didn't look to my peers who have much more experience. I definitely am getting a home security system when we sell our current house.

18. NewRoxFan

Another day, another school shooting...

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Unless you think you need protection wherever you go, I would recommend a shot gun, and of course, make sure you keep it safe. Stats said guns in house = more dangerous to self and family than no guns... but I have to believe that's because of how careless people are with guns, especially hand guns.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is the most rational thing I've read today. I have 2 young kids. I don't feel like we're unprotected because we don't have a gun. I am considering options in regards to security systems for the few times a year I travel for business. I like the idea of the Ring doorbell. The discount on your homeowners insurance doesn't hurt either.