1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

San Jose Mercury News: Club America to buy MLS Earthquakes, move them to Houston....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Aug 12, 2004.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

Club America Looking To Buy MLS Earthquakes, Move To Texas

Chivas’ Team Triggers Club
    America’s MLS Interest

Harris County-Houston Sports Authority CEO Oliver Luck indicated that Mexico-based Club America is “trying to purchase the [MLS] Earthquakes and relocate the team to Texas,” according to Dylan Hernandez of the SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, who reports Club America rep Ricardo Ampudia met with Houston officials last week.

Houston City Council member Adrian Garcia’s Chief of Staff Giovanni Garibay scheduled meetings for Ampudia with Garcia, Houston Mayor Bill White and Luck.

Garibay said that Ampudia “never specifically mentioned to him that Club America would purchase the Earthquakes,” but that he “strongly suggested that Club America would have [an MLS] team ‘within the next few weeks.’”

Garibay added that “part of Club America’s motivation was” rival Chivas securing an MLS expansion team to begin play next season in L.A.

Garibay: “He said they didn’t want to be outdone.”

Earthquakes parent AEG COO Scott Blackmun confirmed that “talks with Club America were ongoing,’” but said, “We have not reached an agreement to sell to Club America and have not reached an agreement to move the team.”

Story Link.....Prepare to register

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sweet. It would be nice to have a Houston team in the MLS. I thought I would have to start routing for the Dallas Burn. :mad:

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Awesome. Now I have two teams to root for. My guess is about half of your fan base will probably be Mexican. You'll probably have a pretty rowdy crowd too.

By the way, Campos went all the way into the opponents small goalie box during the MLS world game. He got an assist to. He's one nuttie goalkeeper. But funny.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what great news. not my sport...but i'm sure there are tons of people who would love to have it here...which means the city is able to offer more to more people.

slap "houston" on it, and i'll root for it.

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

I would guess the crowd might actually be mixed between Anglo and Mexican, regardless of Club America owning it.

Why?

Landon Donovan (He'll be on your team)....that's why.

I'm also convinced that with this club already being a champion, there will be early success when the team moves to Houston. And I expect the crowd to be a rowdy fun bunch, making this appealing to the masses. That early success will translate to many first time soccer fans coming back for more....

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Are they going to play at Reliant, Robertson, or build a new stadium?

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think Donovan will be in the States long enough to play in Houston. Leverkusen (sp?) wants him back and it is time that he go to Europe.

Regardless, it would be great to finally have a team in Houston. the MLS has constantly snubbed Houston from the begining. Salt Lake? Why the hell do they get a team?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've heard a few times that it will be Robertson until they could build a soccer specific stadium. It's not too big and has successfully hosted many a professional game.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I remember many times living on campus at UH and being able to hear Mexican soccer crowds from my dorm room. Those are some passionate fans.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That would be awesome...

12. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I'm stoked.

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Awesome! I hope they have tv coverage, I enjoy watching DC United but a home team to root for is awesome!

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

Another articlewith more specifics and info that suggests that Houston could have the Quakes by the end of the week......

Story Link.....

MLS team probably headed for Houston
    Web Posted: 08/17/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Clint Hale
    Express-News Staff Writer

A decision is expected later this week on a proposal by one of the Mexican Soccer League's top teams to purchase the San Jose Earthquakes and move the Major League Soccer franchise to Texas, sources close to the discussions said Monday.

Although San Antonio is being considered as a relocation site, Houston is the likelier choice, sources said.

Club America, a power in the Mexican Soccer League, has expressed interest in either purchasing the rights to an MLS franchise or starting its own team via expansion. If Club America is successful in purchasing the Earthquakes, Houston would probably be the team's preferred relocation destination, sources said.

The team would probably play at the University of Houston's Robertson Stadium, although Reliant Stadium remains an option. Sources said Club America's MLS team would be in place to start play in Houston in 2005.

"We fully support the notion of bringing soccer to Houston," said Pat Trahan, press secretary to Houston mayor Bill White. "We think there are enough people here to support it. Houston is a port city, so it has an international flavor. People here follow soccer."

San Antonio is affected negatively by the fact that the city would probably not be ready to field an MLS team until 2006. Mayor Ed Garza has said he supports bringing an MLS franchise to San Antonio.

Rumors have swirled over the past year about the possibility of the Earthquakes relocating because of low attendance and the lack of a soccer-specific stadium. That could hurt San Antonio's chances of landing an MLS team. Garza maintains that the Alamodome is the city's first option as a venue for an MLS franchise.

Oliver Luck, chief executive officer for the Harris County Sports Authority, said Houston's sports culture could turn the Earthquakes' attendance problem around.

"Soccer is the world's sport," Luck said. "If (Club America) moves a team here, it would be a great addition to our sports landscape."

Club America officials seem eager to follow the lead of Mexico powerhouse Chivas de Guadalajara.

The owner of that team, Jorge Vergara, was granted an expansion team by the MLS. The expansion team will begin play in Los Angeles at the Home Depot Center in 2005. Chivas' new franchise will share the venue with the Los Angeles Galaxy, also an MLS member.

15. MadMax

we're gonna need a new name for this team.

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Houston Toros gets my vote.

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

......current rumor is Houston Armada.

And I dont believe the Toros name will be chosen because of FC Dallas' new mascot on there new logo.

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

Sratch that.......Club America Houston Armada or CA Houston Armada for short.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That actually sounds decent. It is, at least, original. I assume FC Dallas will no longer be the Burn. IF they are keeping that,then the new logo makes no sense.

20. MadMax

i'm fine with that. not that they're waiting on my approval! :)