1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Salsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've got ripe tomatillos, corn, onions, tomatoes, cape gooseberries (ground cherries), peaches, and tons of varieties of peppers ready to go on the farm. It's salsa season.

What kinda of salsas do you like to make?

I love any kind of good tomatillos based salsa, but I'm not picky. Best salsa I have ever had was a cherry chipotle salsa. They have an awesome version of it at the fast casual chain, Moe's.

#1 Two Sandwiches, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  2. Buck Turgidson

Fruity salsa is...well...fruity

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. clos4life

clos4life Member

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Salsa fresca is the best salsa to me. I haven't bought a store-bought salsa that's blown my mind yet. They all are either too sweet, too chemically-tasting, etc. The one exception that I've liked is HEB's hot salsa in the plastic container (which, I think, is basically salsa fresca). And I like that their hot is actually kinda hot. But that's something anybody can make at home. It's basically salsa fresca/pico de gallo ground down a bit more.

My favorite salsa is tomatoes, cilantro, onions, serranos, garlic, lime juice, some salt if you want it.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That’s pretty much what I use to make my salsa. I’ll throw a jalapeño or two in there from the garden depending on who is eating it.

I grow a lot of jalapeños and habaneros and I make jelly out of them in the fall. It’s so good, but make sure you can air your house out while doing it!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Theres this grill guy i subscribe to on YouTube who has a bunch of mexican and salsa videos. I haven tried any yet, but in my mind, the best salsa in the world is made by someone who looks exactly like this guy.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're big on roasted Roma tomato salsa with adobo chiles. The usual garlic, onion, spices etc.

JumpMan likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I dehydrate all kinds of peppers including scorpion, ghost, reaper, etc. peppers and make chili oil out of flakes of peppers I grew and ground in-house, so I'm used to having "death in the air". :D It can be painful, but worth it. I probably should be doing it in the garage or outside, though. Either that or invest in a gas mask. :D
    Thanks for posting that. I only learned about salsa macha a couple of years ago. From what I could tell, it's basically Chinese chili oil with different peppers. I need to try some of these recipes. I've about given up on the store stuff. It always ends up being a waste of $5. lol.

ROCKSS, davidio840 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

This is awesome. Thanks! Think I will be making that salsa Macha very soon.

Think I'm going to pregame tomorrow by making salsa.

I use pretty much what @Dr of Dunk and @davidio840 do. I just tend to prefer tomatillos over tomatoes. I typically use jalapenos, but will also make a spicy version with habaneros and Tabasco peppers in addition to the jalapenos.

I've been on a huge salsa kick lately as I wait for the tomatillos to ripen. I've actually been buying a Salsa Verde from Aldi that I really like.

#10 Two Sandwiches, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    davidio840, Ottomaton and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I made some Ghanaian green pepper sauce once that was pretty decent, but I know I did something wrong because it didn't taste anything like what one of my co-workers made years ago and brought for me. Whatever she made was hot and tasted good. Mine was just "ok". But I just picked a random YouTube video to try and make mine.

In any case, looks like Skip's brother makes salsa macha pretty much the same way as ArnieTex does in the previous vides, with a different pepper (he replaces ancho peppers with cascabels). If I didn't have so much chili oil to go through already, I'd be making some salsa macha this week. :D

12. Two Sandwiches

Rick Bayless is a cultural icon. I really love what that dude is about.

I honestly never knew he was Skip's brother. Though you were being sarcastic, but then I looked it up. That blows my mind. I also didn't realize Skip is 71.

Rick >>>>> Skip

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Skip was writing for the Dallas Morning News when I was in high school and I'm old.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I tried this for the first time with my quesadillas and it was delicious. I also like the spicy green salsa
    [​IMG]

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Regarding Skip/Rick, I'm going to spoiler this because it's way off-topic, but if you've never seen this, you should watch it :

JumpMan and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

I actually watched the Skip one after you post. It's very interesting and sad. Will watch the other now.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you like a good green tomatillo salsa, would suggest looking into green Chiliquiles as a breakfast. Its basically fried up old tortillas dunked in a pool of green tomatillo salsa until they become soggy, and covered in salty cohilla cheese.

Usually have it with some beans or eggs. The tortillas are basically a delivery vehicle for the salsa. Think of it as corn flakes with green salsa instead of milk for breakfast. There's a red version as well, but i always do green. Also, it tastes much better than it sounds, and it is basically a big plate of spicy acidic green salsa.

#17 Ottomaton, Sep 10, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    cheke64, ROCKSS, JumpMan and 3 others like this.
  18. no_answer

no_answer Member

I like my salsa hot enough to make me sorry I ate it.

Dr of Dunk and Two Sandwiches like this.