1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacha Baron Cohen's "Who Is America?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have not watched yet but I heard about this

Unreal . . . . .

Rocket River

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

menstrual flag.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

How does one compete with a sea mammal? Needless to say, I'm watching right now.

BMoney likes this.
  4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It seems America, doesn't care about Who Is America?

Just 327,000 sets of eyeballs tuned in to the premium cabler on Sunday night to see the Borat star spoof Senator Bernie Sanders, gun activists, Trent Lott, supporters of Donald Trump and more in the first episode of the series. Among the key demographic of adults 18-49, Who Is America? pulled in a low 0.1 rating. That put the secretive and controversial Who Is America? in the hinterland of the 70th highest-rated original show on cable on July 15.

Ouch, even with all of the online buzz, 69 other cable shows had more viewers.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/sacha-baron-cohen-who-is-america-ratings-low-debut-showtime-1202427802/

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How many people actually have Showtime, though?

Anyway, I was really impressed with the poise of the Art Gallery lady, Christy Cones. She did a follow-up interview here (spoilers).

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Anticope

Anticope Member

Of course, you conveniently left out the part where it had over 300K views on demand and over a million across all platforms apparently.

7. theimpossibles1

It has the buzz factor. Give it a few weeks.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  8. Svpernaut

Another Showtime show "Billions" has more than double the ratings. Nearly every recent Showtime show with a .1 rating or lower, has been cancelled.

Funny how most other Showtime shows have higher ratings, even without considering on demand and streaming. I didn't write the article or report on the numbers. Either way as it sits, this show is well within Showtime's cancellation numbers. - https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/showtime-tv-show-ratings-33448/

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Damn why do you care so much. It has 10 million views on youtube. There are some people who like it.

10. Svpernaut

Since when is commenting on a thread mean I care about it? I read the ratings were terrible, and shared. I don't care one way or the other... I'm not the one taking this news personally.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(EDIT: airlanghi else beat me to this question, and you've said you don't actually care. Okay.)

But serious question: why do you care so much? I haven't watched it, but I can't think of any show I care so much about that I read about its ratings or viewership. It sounds like you don't like SBC, so that would lead me to not watch him and not follow a thread about his new show.

For instance, I've never been a fan of our now president. When he had a reality TV show, I thought, I don't want to watch that obnoxious guy, so I never did, and I never read about the ratings. I guess they were good, which means nothing to me.

But in any case, if SBC bothers you, you have good arch-liberal company: the Academy Awards.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Svpernaut

I don't care, I respond to people who quote me. I've liked pretty much everything SBC has made, and all I've said about this show is that it feels less natural and more forced... but all of the sudden I am being labeled as offended simply because I don't like it as much as his old stuff.

Again, I think the people who like the show, and it's premise are taking it far more personally than those who don't. Like it is showing the world just how screwed up America is. The truth is, the masses don't care about the show - and won't. It has a niche audience, and people are making more of it than they should on both sides of the argument.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. B-Bob

Okay, makes sense. I think he's always been kind of a niche comedian. Maybe more people liked Ali G b/c it was harmless or Borat b/c it made fun of a foreigner. But that uncomfortable interview thing isn't for everyone. I've always kind of liked the idea and also am an apologist for between two ferns. Definitely wasn't enough in this case to get me near paying anything for Showtime access though.

Cheers.

EDIT: had to remind myself how good this was.

They were both basically laughing at the repeated claw silliness.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You are missing the difference in budgets. The Chi was renewed with twice the ratings of around 700K (and a claimed 4 million across all platforms) but that show has a much larger budget than recording interviews.

The beauty part of this show is it is dirt cheap and has a built in core audience. Normal cancellation ratings don't apply.

15. Svpernaut

You can likely compare it to Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, which regularly averages over 4 million viewers. I don't think that the show will be cancelled because people are talking about Showtime for the first time in a long time, but that doesn't mean the show has as much reach as they thought it would.

I am all for freedom of speech and think that comedians are some of the most important people in our society for maintaining freedom of speech, so I see nothing wrong with the show - other than the fact that it is clearly a niche show that isn't for everyone.

16. B-Bob

^? I think you are actually quoting @Bandwagoner, @Svpernaut .

We are not often confused for one another. :D Not that I disagree with his take.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clearly commenting in a thread means you don't care. Well played.

theimpossibles1 and justtxyank like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Triggered.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this a D&D thread now?