1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryno to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Sep 25, 2019.

1. T.MAC

T.MAC Member

Now it's time to bring back Ariza.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The Band is getting back together!!!

[​IMG]

tycoonchip and bro2044 like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's been absolute garbage the last couple of years, but maybe he can miraculously turn it around.

Worst case he chills on the bench.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

couldnt be more wrong, sometimes you need to fake and delay, last year we struggled mightily at the start of the season and later when Gordon was chucking relentlessly from 30 feet instead of driving to the rim or making a play...

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

couldn't be more wrong, Ryno was a huge part of that 65 win teams success up until he got injured near the very end of the season

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

It looks to me like Morey's building up assets for a deal again.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

even in the final year as a rocket and considered a "down year" he shot better than any rockets player thats come after or before him in the harden era. some of yall love being dramatic. ryno's problem wasn't the actual lack of shot making. it was the contract, inability to fit the switch everything scheme, and not having the melo chuker mentality.

people whine and complain about the rockets not signing actual shooters. now one is back on not even a fully guaranteed contract who likely gets just spot minutes and you still have people complaining. smh

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Brad Lidge actually regained his confidence and went on to have a perfect season with the Phillies and win the World Series. Of course he did blow it the next season and then was just constantly injured. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

clutchdabear, alethios and joshuaao like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So his role kinda like a Krover role? Just go in shoot a few time and sit back out?
    People btch about our GM being heartless and stuff, this signing proves otherwise.

Anderson was on the trade block for god knows how long, and even after all that trade drama and actual trade, he still comes back willing to suit up for us. It speaks volume about how solid our organization is at treating our players.

IvanLCPM, AroundTheWorld and Tfor3 like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

90% of this is people are still sour over the contract. Me included, if I'm being honest with myself.

But his issue in 17-18 was more than what you laid out above. He made 2 threes a game, which is nice, but he was really, really bad at everything else that happens on a basketball court. That is what made him unplayable in important games that year, horrible all of last year, and that is why he would have been sitting at home were it not for this Rockets offer.

Still, on this deal, who cares. I'm happy to bring him in, even if I'm still not entirely over that $80 million contract. I do think he sucks and is unplayable in any meaningful game... but it's not like we could have used this money on anyone who would have improved our title chances.

Jayzers_100 and YOLO like this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

that 2017 season was some of the most fun basketball i've ever watched.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has a specific skill that the rockets use and has obviously shown to fit pretty well. on average, he does it better than anyone else. he's just not the gunner type. but yeah on this deal, there really isn't much to be down about other than his previous circumstances that really don't have any bearing at this point. but i get it grudges are held by fans. then again if people can get over westbrook, ryno shouldn't even be an issue

13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

so many mixed feelings given its just a partially guaranteed min:

1. Yay Ryno!
    2. But he kinda sucks now and he was awful toward the end for the Rockets
    3. But maybe it was just mental, the burden of a large contract, which is now gone.
    4. Kinda crazy that if it was mental, he would want to return to houston rather than get fresh start somewhere.
    5. Remember him bombing those long 3s, that was so awesome, if he could do that for a few minutes it'd be worth it, especially with all the space it would create for Westbrook.
    6. Maybe with the demise of the warriors and more teams playing traditional again, his flaws won't be so obvious, or at least as often.
    7. Oh crap, what about Anthony Bennett! I was really rooting for him to make it!!!
    8. Bennett has much higher upside given he's pretty athletic too.
    9. Well, I hope at least one of Ryno and Bennett make it and actually contribute because it would make the Rockets that much fiercer.

joshuaao and Jayzers_100 like this.
  14. bmd

bmd Member

It seems like it’s been a long time, but Ryno wasn’t a Rocket for just 1 season. He was on the team in 2017-18 when they won 65 games. He shot nearly 39% from 3 that year and had a TS% of nearly 60%. He was more than fine.

This past season, when he was on the Suns and Heat was the only season he truly wasn’t good, and that season was an anomaly unlike any other season in his career.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

I thought ryno was a bad shooter his last season with the rockets. I almost watched every rockets game. but after checking the numbers- he was actually excellent from the 3pt line. offensive rating was 121....

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Both of you have Austin Rivers’ minutes way too low. He’s the Rockets’ best bench player and you have him playing only 10 minutes a game. Not going to happen.

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he has his mental issues fixed. There is no way a pure shooter like Ryno should ever shoot 20% from 3. When i looked up his numbers with the Suns that kind of stunned me. Something went horribly wrong with his confidence. Hopefully he can regain the form he had before the ankle injury and be a contributing member that can help the team get through the regular season. I cant say i'm pumped about this but i cant be down on it either. We need help at the 4.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

the sample size isn't nearly enough to think he's become some sub 30% shooter over night. he's played less than 350 minutes over the past two seasons (25 games total). in both stints, there was absolutely no structure or definitive role for him. of course when his looks are sporadic and lack of pt come all over the place, the numbers will follow that. obviously that isn't the case here.

the rockets acquired a ball dominant pg who can't shoot and is extremely inefficient. they need to absolutely stack up on as many shooters as possible for this offense to really reach its entire potential

#278 YOLO, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

SMH, we just can't get rid of this guy. Scrubberson is back? Ugh.

Look, from a pragmatic view I get the Rockets addition of Ryan Anderson, a stretch PF (and likely stretch C) at a low Vet Min cost. I am just thirsty for front court players with length, athleticism and upside. And I really wanted to give Anthony Bennett every opportunity here.

This development doesn't look good for Bennett I am afraid.

J.R. likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wanted to get Luc Mbah A Moute back......and we got Ryan Anderson instead.

SMH.