1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Pressly - Greatest Closer in Astros history

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It will get lost in all the hoopla around Garcia and Altuve - but Ryan Pressly - twice! - worked his way out of a 2-on/0-out situation to a) preserve two-run deficit so Altuve could be the hero; b) save the game facing Texas' 1-2-3 hitters.

Ryan Pressly is the greatest closer in Astros history. He is straight ****ing nails and I love that guy.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

His post season numbers speak for themselves. Probably the second best closer in Astros history.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, its the exact same discussion as Bagwell/Altuve.

Billy Wagner, by some margin, is the greatest closer in Astros history. But if you need a closer in October, Pressly has that honor without competition. The only person worth mentioning besides him is Brad Lidge, who was actually stupidly dominant before Pujols broke him.

ryan_98, No Worries, topfive and 2 others like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep! All of this - though Lidge's run wasn't terribly long. But I've (finally!) conceded Altuve > Bagwell, so it's time to go through the Astros' history and start making some declarations!

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

For the regular season, the standard was the Lidge - Dotel - Wagner group. Last year;s Group as a whole (6 or 7 relievers) was probably better statistically. Even so, I never had as much confidence they could do the job at the time as the former group.

It's really a poor comparison since we rarely ever went into the post season healthy or faced pitchers who aren't in the HOF.

ryan_98 and Hey Now! like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wagner, Lidge and Dave Smith were probably statistically better yet had so few chances to prove it the post season. In the late 90’s and early 2000’s the Stros had some of the best pitching staffs in the league the only problem
    Was the team would run into arguably the greatest pitching staff on the Braves.

Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Of the three Lidge was my favorite by far. Pressly gets out of a lot of tough spots but they are often tough spots of his own making. Most times when he gets up to pitch you couldn't drive a toothpick up my ass with a sledge hammer.

8. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

I was surprised to see Billy Wagner's post season ERA of 10.03 in 14 games

9. Mattician

Mattician Member

Pressly may get the job done but man he causes a lot of stress and cuss words with just about every at bat.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Hall of famer? Isnt he like 30/30 in postseason save oppurtunities?

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think he blew a game the Astros later won.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That "standard" only existed for one year (2003)... and they didn't even make the playoffs.

Wagner was the Astros full time closer for 5 years (excluding 2000 where he was pitching hurt and had surgery). While that was the best they'd had in franchise history to that point, and was a formative time for many fans here (when this BBS... and the internet... went into existence), it really wasn't that long of a tenure given the current golden era's run. And his October wasn't great... and we can't simply blame it on facing HOF pitchers like Biggio/Bagwell.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rivera had his fair share of those and nobody will ever question his importance to the Yankees dynasty (was probably the most important player).

For these runs to exist/persist, you gotta have guys who can handle the worst of the worst pressure. While Pressly likely had more dominant stuff in 2018/2019 (minus the injuries), he's been as good as any closer in the game since he took over this role, and even better in the post-season.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Perhaps Pressly's worse games stick out, but he's been awesome in Houston.

Career ERA -- WHIP , regular / playoffs:

2.67 / 2.22 ---- 0.963 / 1.030

Screenshot_20231021-144917_Google.jpg

#15 Houstunna, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  16. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Personally I'm partial to Dave Smith.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

This is likely true of any closer that you watch on a team you care about.

Pressly as an Astro has a lower WHIP than either Wager or Lidge did, and lower than Mariano Rivera did over his Yankee career as well.

Nook and Red.Glare like this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Good lord that’s amazing.

rockbox likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not sure what story his stats tell, he was the closer around the time I started paying attention to the Astros way back when.

Today, a seemingly mostly forgotten time.