1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russia Says it Will Attack U.S. Military if Trump Strikes Syria Again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by krnxsnoopy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

My parents originated from Serbia in the Balkans

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Which has been defunct since the 1991. Just like the OSS has been since 1945 and isn't the CIA, and had a different mission.

The KGB was extremely political, and was a service for a 15 nation federation, whereas the newer services, are specifically for Russia and serve that nation's post-political flavor of democracy-on-the-outside authoritarianism, which I did my best to describe in a post.

Security service and military people rose to the top in nearly every element of Russian society during the chaos of the 90s. No one disputes that.

Your original premise is that at the fall of the Soviet Union, the opening of the KGB archives was somehow part of a ploy to mislead the world. I'm sorry if I don't have enough tin foil in my kitchen to wrap that up. If you want to support that assertion, and convince me I'm wrong or mistaken, quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur. Believe me, I'm happy to have my presumptions challenged, but if that is your intent, you are doing it wrong.

As it happens, I have a final interview Monday morning as a Hearing Officer for Student Conduct and Academic Integrity, which means I'll be judging hearings about academic honesty. I'm also working towards a terminal degree in Rhetoric. Intellectual honesty is part of my job. Woe to the student who is caught cheating or plagiarizing a paper.

In any case, I have a 20+ year posting history here and I'm sure there is more than one credible witness to vouch that I'm often the first to admit when I'm wrong about something.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't think any nation is going to be transparent about defense spending. That's why I posted three -- which I think in every case that's accounted for, though maybe not to the same degree. They are all different, but in the same ballpark, relative to each other, anyway, with Russia ranked near KSA and above India, and all of them an order of magnitude less than the US.

4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Tin foil hat? I guess who you trust the US intelligence agencies or the soviets. I know who I
    would choose if that makes me a person wears tin foil hat in your eyes so be it.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.exp...assination-Lee-Harvey-Oswald-agent-Mexico/amp

#104 AleksandarN, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Again, Russian deflection. Seriously? We don't need to imagine the Russians screwing with the United States and Europe, it's documented and happening. What we do about it is a perfectly open question but the existence of it happening isn't really debatable.

I don't doubt American institutions because of Putin. It's the ignorant, racist, conspiracy theory promoting buffoon that is sewing this doubt with particular demographics, preying on their fears and telling them who to blame just like dictators of the past. Trump's playbook isn't original. The rest of us think they're all full of ****. Russia trying to screw with us and Trump being a power hungry piece of **** aren't mutually exclusive ideas but we generally expect the President of United States to protect the American people and American institutions, not kiss a tyrant's ass who means us harm.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Please share this documentation. Please explain exactly what the Russian government did, and how they did it.

Please summarize exactly how "Russia is trying to screw with us."

As I posted before to our Serbian expert on the JFK assassination, "Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur." That which is freely asserted is freely dismissed.

If you make a claim, it's your obligation to provide evidence to support your claim. If you can't do that, you, and the Washington Post, Adam Schiff, and Joy Reid are little different than the Jehovah Witnesses knocking on my door to let me know about the end-days coming. Please stop wasting my time and degrading the signal-to-noise ratio.

7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Lol reply to the previous post of mine. You know why you don't.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I can't compare what I can't read. And in any case, the US government never made the case that the Soviet Union was involved in the assassination of JFK. If you insist it is, without anything other than anecdotal evidence, of which the JFK assassination has no shortage of, you are asserting one of many conspiracy theories. It's hardly the most far-fetched, but neither of us has any way of knowing.

Most Soviet documents that are of questionable authenticity were ones used for press for propaganda purposes during the war, like staged photos of German POWs after a battle meant to look as though the photographer stumbled upon them being captured. Those weren't in KGB archives -- those were printed everywhere for public consumption. If you go to the Yad Vashem museum in Jerusalem, you won't see many photos of Red Army liberators for that reason -- historians and archivists and curators doubt the accuracy of them and they don't want to lend credence to holocaust deniers by using questionable photos.

As for the KGB archives, Yeltsin ordered KGB and Communist Party archives to be taken by force before they could be destroyed, and opened to the public in order to discredit the Soviet regime. They've since been a treasure trove to historians and archivists. If there were documents of questionable authenticity, you don't think it would have been noted by all the western academics sourcing them?

So no, I have no reason to believe that documents from the KGB archive that were taken by Yeltsin and vetted by Western researchers for papers that were written in the early 90s are fakes. I also don't believe any of the ones recently released by the US are fakes either, because I'm not a conspiracy theorist, though I certainly would like to know what the ones that are still classified say.

As a bonus, I can also verify that matza is not actually made from gentile children, either.

#108 Deji McGever, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

What you continue to do is at best sophistry. It's not my obligation to disprove what is freely asserted. I changed my signature just for posters like you and CometsWin that seem determined to waste my time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to meet Glenn Greenwald for our secret Jew-Commie-Nazi-Russian-alt-right meeting on 4chan to remind Trump to change the national anthem to Katyusha.

до свидания!

Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Funny enough the same USA today had another article that claimed otherwise

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...us-defectors-claims-kgb-and-oswald/974746001/

11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Funny again and going by your own link not all if any important foreign intelligence were released.

#111 AleksandarN, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Shall we continue. As going by my previous posts I just posted you are right you are wasting your time because whatever you post it is being debunked in embarrassing fashion. I would say quit while you are a head. But you never were. I will gladly continue this conversation but I don't think it is in your best interest for you to.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No way the KGB has been defunct. One of their own has been running that country for a long time now.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, agree it's kind of a technicality. Paper versus influence. Putin is stamped with it and it's obvious that mindset colors his view of the world, realistic governance, and his national politics in particular. Frontline did some good work on this a couple of years ago.

KingCheetah likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm not going to get into a conspiracy debate, but starting his argument with a point like that makes it tough to take the rest of the post seriously.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Belarus still refers to the KGB when nearly the entire rest of the world refers to the GRU.

17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/26/us-troops-injured-russian-forces-syria-402347

U.S. service members injured in Syria after skirmish with Russian forces
    Four troops have been diagnosed with mild concussion-like symptoms.

More at the link above

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

“As long as they don’t get captured. Then they’d be cowards” -DJT

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

America has been brainwashed to become strong against evil doers, both foreign and domestic. Pulling out and deescalating is essentially not going to war. Ofc whoever does it will be called out as a Neville Chamberlain by the other side, but that's exactly the brainwashing at play.

Not everyone is a Hitler. Saddam was a tyrant in a forest of tyrants but he was no Hitler.

If we want to cut back on military, we have to decide on what part of the globe really matters because it is crazy expensive and America can't afford to be bipolar by cutting off military support with one president, and then then with the next president, cutting off state department personel all while upgrading nukes and scraping non-proliferation treaties. One person's MAD is another person's madness.

We're not the biggest dog that can take down the next two anymore. It's not a good or bad thing. What's toxic is pretending that we have to be.

RayRay10 likes this.