1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running the offense through Alpi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We've all called for it for a year and a half. Amazing how a real coach does it in his first game.

More of this, please. It just opens everything up.

So glad we finally got a real coaching staff.

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

Yep. Look at what Denver does with Jokic.

If teams want to focus on limiting Sengun's impact it should make it easier for the others.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The second we get away from it, we lose momentum.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I disagree. We should continue to run through Jalen Green and his 15% shooting from the field.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Our offense isn't running through anyone.

Patience, Lalos, Sean Dr34ms and 10 others like this.
  6. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

**** haters - SenHub is the way.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For 2 years we’ve heard that Sengun has a low ceiling and that it was more important to prioritize the other guys because of “potential.”

If potential forever means poor shooting, poor defense and low IQ basketball, then give me low ceiling and actual production every day.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't get how anyone can be triumphal over anything after a 30 point pasting like this despite all the off season "Phase 2" stuff.

Good that Sengun kept the Rockets vaguely in the game early. But ultimately he couldn't keep them even remotely close, nor could anyone else.

calurker, anthony59237, Nook and 2 others like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Sengun can't win with these cats

Bo6 and HardenReturns like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that, the rockets were only -2 while he was on the court. All of the inability to keep it close was when he went to the bench. Unless I misunderstood your post and you expect him to pick up the 20+ point deficit they rack up while he's out.

Patience, Zen Tabak, BamBam and 6 others like this.
  11. SamFisher

Sengun was 6-6 in the first half and 1-5 when the Rockets got wrecked in the second. And not to mention the ease with which Orlando was able to do what they wanted inside.

I honestly have a hard time looking at anything the Rockets did tonight as a positive, but if people want to run Sengun victory laps, i guess that's ok? Seems more like a Sengun" not quite as bad as everyone else" lap.

34to11, leebigez, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It is absolutely insane that people continue to invoke the name of Nikola Jokic when discussing Alperen Sengun.

13. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize we just got beat by 30. The Rockets looked horrible with Sengun on the floor and without. Defense was lackluster, offense was horrendous. I'm not giving points to him for being able to score over Mo Wagner. It's just the first game but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not disappointed with the Rockets piss poor execution and showing overall.

34to11, Dobbizzle and SamFisher like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That 1-5 stat was disingenuous when Feig posted it, and it is disingenuous now.

Alperen created 3 assists in a row during the Rockets 2nd half run when used as the HUB, then all he got after that was scraps.

If we are going to be real, let’s be real.

15. conquistador#11

The game was within 6 or 7 points when he checked out in the third qtr with 6:50 minutes left after mishandling a wild pass. Magic up the lead to 17 until he came back midway through the 4th.
    Yes, run it through him but then these dudes will just stand there and watch like the kid from the Blid -Side losing the balloon.

16. SamFisher

Ok nevermind - Rockets offense looked amazing thank god silas is gone we will probably be a top 5 offensive team.

34to11 likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It is insane to compare a style of play? Essentially a Princeton?

How about Sabonis/Webber/Hayes/Walton, etc...

There are many player and system examples of how we could use Alperen to make Fred/JG's jobs easier. Jokic is simply the most obvious one to look at. No one is saying Alperen is Jokic.

But you can certainly see an overlap in how our system could look. Sacramento and Denver are perfect examples. (Adelman's boy was over there too, for example...)

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Expected more. If you don't want to conversate, move over to Twitter!

HardenReturns likes this.
  19. SamFisher

What is the conversation - that the Rockets offense looked good or Senguns had a great game or both?

Like i said, if people want to take Sengun victory laps after tonight - go for it but that's just the lowest possible bar

34to11 likes this.
  20. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Be real. We got back into the game because Fred and Dillon got hot from the 3pt line and the first unit decided to show up defensively for a hot second. Once we went to the bench brigade and a horrible rotation as far as the combination of players on the floor (really thought I was done witnessing that after Silas was jettisoned) the Magic took the lid off.

Had nothing to do with whether Sengun was the hub or not. The Rockets were out played tonight... the whole team.

Kevooooo, 34to11, leebigez and 4 others like this.