1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Running] GPS Watches

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Garner, May 1, 2013.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Calling all Runners-

I've been running significantly more the last right months and have been tracking my progress via the iPhone's Nike+ app (an application I like a lot).

For a couple different reasons, I'd like to upgrade to an actual GPS watch, would like to stick with the nike app, but not give up my favorite pair of Sauconey's.

Secondary question- anybody use heart rate monitors? Why and what type?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I bought the Nike GPS watch with the nike plus shoe thingy and the polar heart rate monitor. It's pretty damn good, everything syncs up quickly and when you upload everything it has a great chart with heart rate overlapping on the Nike plus site. Highly recommend it. It's considerably cheaper than some of the quality Garmin stuff.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I've had great results with the Suunto Ambit, Garmin 210, and TimeX Global Trainer.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I use the Motorola Motoactv. It does pretty much everything. It also has a built in MP3 player.

5. xhungersx

xhungersx Member

also use the Motoactv

6. Garner

Garner Member

Can the Nike+ watch work independently of the shoe insert?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

8. davo

davo Contributing Member

I have the Garmin Forerunner 110 - the entry level Garmin watch, which you can buy for ~$120. It is perfect for tracking distance and overall pace. The only missing feature is instantaneous pace, which can be a problem if you really must know your pace. I get around it by measuring pace for the current "lap" and setting the lap to 1/4 mile. Hence you always know your pace for the current 1/4 mile.

I found it perfect for me, and used it to train for completing an ~8minute/mile half marathon.

9. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I have been wanting one of these forever, dont wanna shell out the $ though.

10. Garner

Garner Member

Now that's a watch.

Being a novice runner with friends in different states, I really like the social aspect of the Nike+ watch. It's a great app that everyone has access to for free, which allows me and my friends to constantly compete.

Perhaps one day I'll move up to one of these

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I believe so. I like to use both because I use the treadmill half the time. GPS is useless inside.

12. Garner

Garner Member

I did some searching online- you can buy an aftermarket pouch for your sure or just slit open the tongue of your shoe and put in there.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry for the necro bump.

I just bought my wife a Garmin Forerunner 235 for Christmas. Seems to have decent reviews.

Anyone use this?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My wife and I have the Garmin Vivoactive which has a lot of the same features, but does not have the wrist HR technology. The watch works well and tracks steps consistently. The GPS is good and we can use it for golf in conjunction with our phones. Battery life is great and lives up to their advertising.

Two Sandwiches likes this.