1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Clemens/Damon test positive for steroids...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks!!

I'll try, but if I don't, I'll be sure to set it on autopick.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I doubt it. The NFL just recently had that controversy about some of the Carolina players taking steroids. They were prescribed by a doctor but I don't think that made any difference. Of course none of them ever tested positive, so I'm not sure.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guessed he missed the part where Kenny Rogers hurt the cameraman as well. That argument pisses me off. Just because you believe that the steroid punishment isn't legit doesn't mean that Kenny Rogers' punishment was too harsh.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I agree with Clemens sentiment. If he was on, he never would have come back this year.

That being said, their was on odd statment he made a week ago. He was asked about his bad back. He said something to the effect of it hurts like hell, I wish they would stop giving me this....Then he said. Forget that. That's not the reason.

It seemed pretty odd at the time. Again, you could make the case he was taking the treatment too recently to get caught, but, who knows how long he has been on whatever medication. Or on whatever steroid. It just seemed out of the ordinary.

Clemens appearance and domination seem to fit the mold. He was in contact with Giambi. He was in contact with Sheffield. He was in contact with several suspected power hitters. I don't think you can rule him out. But like was said, doesn't make sense for him to comeback while on.

I'm really interested.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hey, you have the link for the article?

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

8. Hey Now!

sorry; i'm really not seeking you out today, but gammons' objection is to, if i'm reading it correctly, MLB's policy regarding replacing the suspended player. the orioles were allowed to add a replacement for someone who knowingly cheated. the rangers, meanwhile, could not even though what rogers did, technically, really, had nothing to do with the team or baseball.

9. Hey Now!

didn't make sense for raffy to waive his finger at congress and tell 'em he'd never used 'roids before, either. i think too many of these guys think they're simply untouchable.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gotcha. That is pretty stupid. I just assumed that because I've heard people say that it was ridiculous for Rogers to get 20 games and Palmeiro only getting 10 games. I think the latter is ridiculous, but the former is not.

BTW, I've been listening to Pearl Jam a lot lately. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

11. PhiSlammaJamma

None of it makes sense. I grant you that. Unless steroids are addictive. That would explain everything. There's no scientific evidence of it yet. But all the indicators are there. Especially when you see people lying to congress, possibly losing their career, facing public shame, humilaition, and breaking the law, just to use it and reap the benefits. That has addiction written all over it. I wouldn't be suprised if it has dependent properties from a dual diagnosis perspective (Psychiatric and Physical).

12. Hey Now!

i don't think they are, but the money and fame, i hear, is herion-like.

13. Hey Now!

cool. i'm likely gonna try and catch some of their shows next month in canada.

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I remember that quote from Clemens and it did seem very odd. This would be devastating if true. :(

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I hope not...

I'll believe it when it's confirmed.

16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Isn't that oxymoronic? Lock this garbage up, please.

17. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I completely agree, lock this up.

18. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

If...and a big if it is between Clemens and Pujols...I'm suspecting it to be Pujols because the amount of Latin players that have been getting caught. Most of Latin American youths coming out of various systems have admitted using steroids in their native Latin American countries. It is way too easy to obtain steroids literally around the corner.

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I won't believe a word of this until I get a lot more proof than this. Not saying it won't come true, but I would think if the "rumors" were that Clemens tested positive, there would be plenty of in-the-know people that would like to be the first to break it.

Here's to hoping this is completely false

20. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

See, that's tough to say. Maybe each leaque (NFL, NBA, MLB) has different guidelines regarding prescribed steroids (clearly MLB didn't until recently), but if Bagwell were to be prescribed steroids he would most likely have to clear hurdles in clearance from the league office.

Remember when Barkley got a hernia in (I think) '98? He was prescribed steroids (Prednisone or something similar I believe) to help recouperate. I don't recall any real controversy (since the drug he was using wasn't truly "performanc-enchancing"). He even went out of his way to tell kids never to touch steroids.

So that's one instance of prescribed steroids, but if Bagwell needed some type of steroid (doubtful), who knows what drug he would be given and if it would even be on the "list" of banned substances by MLB. I feel that the word "steroids" is so broad. I know so little about what makes one drug a steroid and another not.

I mean, isn't cortizone practically a steroid? It's sketchy.