1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Clemens/Damon test positive for steroids...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Aug 18, 2005.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

2. kevwun

kevwun Member

The NL player is rumored to be Pujols or Clemens. If it's either one of those two, it's going to get really ugly for MLB.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'll believe it when the MLB announces it......

4. countingcrow

I'll still have trouble believing it...

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man, this would completely blow. For either of those guys. I would obviously rather it be Albert, but he's a good guy too, so I'm hoping these are just unsubstantiated rumors that don't come true.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I hope Pujols gets suspended.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

HEB must put steroids in their ground beef........

8. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

Wow... I don't believe it. If it is infact true, Roger would have let a lot of people down.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You know, this could be a reason why we didn't make any deals around the trade deadline (other than the fact there just wasn't a lot there).

Thinking about it more, there's no way. Why in the world would he come back for another season and take a risk like this knowing that there was going to be a bigger crackdown on steroid users? I just can't see him risking his fame and legacy for that, regardless of the $18 million.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why are these guys getting caught? Are their masking agents just not working or something? Are they taking stuff they think is undetectable? Do they think they have a way to beat the test and it just doesn't work? Anyone have any ideas?

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Isn't that what people said about Palmiero?

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think you guys are giving way too much credit to internet message board rumors. I read that thread and there is nothing really there besides that. Wait until there is some kind of real announcment before worrying about something like this.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The rumor was probably started by some a-hole that wanted to get his fantasy league buddy to trade Clemens to him.

14. countingcrow

Gammons' latest article supposedly speculates to players bigger than Palmeiro possibly testing positive for steroids. But since Gammons' articles have been moved to the Insider section on ESPN.com, they are not accessible by me...

Maybe someone here has an Insider subscription and can elaborate on this...

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But Palmiero still had goals that he probably needed to acheive before he was assured a place in the HoF. Had he not comeback this year and got his 3,000th hit, he may not have had as good a shot as he did before he tested positive. Roger had absolutely nothing to gain by taking a risk like that.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

More "I heard it on the radio" garbage.

17. countingcrow

Rocketman95,

I sent you an email thru the board...

Just curious if you are going to be able to make the draft on Sunday @ 9:45am...

Let me know...

Oh, and BTW, congrats on the wedding...

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

just out of curiosity....what if a player like Bagwell is prescribed steroids after surgery on his shoulder? can he take them or not?

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

Here it is, not really anything worth mentioning. Please note this article is from August 9th, his two latest articles say nothing about steroids.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Protection for all, not a few

By Peter Gammons
    Special to ESPN.com

Aug. 9

The steroid rumor mill has been spinning out of control. More than 50 players tested positive, one megastar. Clubhouse talk. Maybe it's only a dozen, but there's a bigger name than Rafael Palmeiro. That's what's going around.

At this point, this is all nothing but idle speculation, seemingly exaggerated, since the executive council hasn't been notified, and those members had known for a long time about Palmeiro, Ryan Franklin and another player whose name will soon leak out.

For now, we are in a whirlpool of speculation and rumor-mongering, much of which has a tinge of McCarthyism. Which begs the question: When are the leaders of the players' association -- not the lawyers in their employ -- going to raise their voices?

Palmeiro, Franklin and all players charged with violations of the drug policy should have the right to due process and the best defense. This system is not foolproof; and as is understood in one case, a club employee who did not know the entire list of substances banned between Nov. 15 and Jan. 15 abetted the player.

But it looks to the outside that the union worked a lot harder to protect Palmeiro than some of the "no-names" whose names first surfaced. So, with all his money and the best defense SFX can offer, how can a union differentiate between a star and a Ryan Franklin?

Most unions exist to protect those who need protection, not the richest. Even more important, what the baseball union has yet to grasp is that the rights that must be protected are the rights of the vast majority to ensure that the playing field is even.

This is why the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the World Anti-Doping Agency were formed -- to protect the rights of the majority of Olympic athletes, to ensure their games and contests were fair, above board, clean. Baseball players should be screaming that Palmeiro's case was heard on the side, and their union should be negotiating for the right to play a clean, fair game.

Why should Lance Berkman, Mike Sweeney, Garret Anderson, Jason Varitek or Carlos Beltran have to compete with cheaters? Why should Roy Halladay, Jake Peavy, Rich Harden or Pedro Martinez have to outperform someone whose fastball and recovery time are enhanced?

Those are the rights that count, and it's time that the player leaders assume some responsibility for their fellow players, and their game.

Maybe the union was betrayed by the leaking of the Palmeiro information, but that is a side issue. The important issue is a man got his 3,000th hit after he tested positive -- apparently trying to cheat the system and violating a law that is very important to the game that he should have respected. What is ludicrous is that last weekend the Orioles were allowed to play with 25 men and the Rangers only 24 because Kenny Rogers was suspended for throwing a camera on the ground.

Huh?

Clearly, there are players who never thought they would get retested, or who thought of themselves as invincible or -- as several players suggested -- who are psychologically addicted to enhancers. So it will take time for the game to change, naturally, although one very wise manager said, "There's a new game coming and we should be ready for it. Good hitting instructors will be more important than ever, because hitters will never be able to hit home runs without proper mechanics."

That new game should and must be clean, and to do that the players must be protected by their union. That is their right, an important right.

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I think they got it wrong - Clemens tested positive for awesomeness from what i'm hearing from my sources.