1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy to be on Rome Show Tuesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Aug 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Old School

Old School Member

Rome mentioned at the end of his show that Rudy MIGHT be on Tuesday. Don't know which hour just yet.

Old School

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rudy still going to be on Rome? I just started tuning in ....

<B>Update</B>: Just heard him say Rudy will be on "maybe".... looks like it's still in limbo whether he'll be on or not.

3. Shandon Anversen

Clutch,

that's classic rome.

next, he'll be saying that he's "chasing" rudy t. 9 times out of 10 the person is on the show. classic teasing methods.

verse

4. Old School

Old School Member

Works everytime.

I've heard Rudy likes Rome so if they can work it out he'll be on today.

Old School

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Cool ... thanks guys. Still listening so hopefully he'll be on .... if you guys want to listen, there is a Real Audio and Windows Media feed <a href="http://www.jimromeshow.com/">here</a>

6. Sweet P

Sweet P Member

So, was he on?:confused:

7. Old School

Old School Member

Nope.

I'm filing suit against Romey for false advertising.

Old School

8. Shandon Anversen

i've lost all faith in rome.

:(

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Did he ever explain why Rudy T didn't come on? I had to stop listening after a while.... only so many Danny Almonte rips I can take in one day (my goodness does this guy beat a dead horse again and again and again and <B>again</B>)

10. Shandon Anversen

if he did, i didn't hear it.

i think he just kind of dropped the whole subject. that's one irritating thing about rome. well that's one of many...

kind of like the way he doesn't admit when he's wrong about the epic blasts :rolleyes: he spews about players when they're proven false.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

My favorite Rome moment was in 1998 during the McGwire/Sosa home run race. All Summer long, Rome kept saying that McGwire shouldn't be the MVP because the Cardinals were a .500 team that season. September rolls around, however, and Big Mac breaks the record, who is all over McGwire's jock for MVP?

Does that asthmatic Terrence in Sierra Madre still call the show?

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Rome is okay, but he only seems to regurgitate ESPN opinions, never his own. Granted, there are usually only 2 sides to an issue, meaning Rome has a 50% chance of agreeing with ESPN, but he seemingly always sides with whatever ESPN reporters say. How many times have I read something on ESPN.com, only to have it repeated back to me by Romey?

Ok, peeps, I'm out.

"Rack him..."

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Then you probably won't want to listen to the show until about a week after the Little League World Series is over.

14. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

Rome is Rome...I think he is so gosh darn contrived :) I won't hate the brother though cause he always gives props to houston stuff, WAR HOUSTON or whatever...just cause we can fill the dome or something.... his hair is like WHITE now if you haven't noticed, its crazy....
    :)

15. JAG

JAG Member

One thing maybe you guys can clarify for me...was Rome the guy who first made a name for himself by childishly taunting Jim Everett ( I think he was still with the Rams at that point ) by calling him "Chris" , leading to an on-air altercation? I'm probably wrong, but the name was something like Rome...

About Rome himself, I find two things annoying:

1) He is a prime example of one of the more annoying forms of contemporary media, ie. say anything so long as you say it loud and controversialy. Sort of the Madonna School of Broadcasting...

2) His street-talk style comes and goes, and often strikes me as very contrived...I'll sometimes agree with what he says, but not how he says it...I sometimes get the sense that his guests feel they're being pandered to, especially when he turns on the patois full blast when an urban African-American guest is on... It must be even more annoying for them than it is for me, unless they just thinks he's amusing...

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

http://www.moderntv.com/modtvweb/qtclips/violence.htm

Take a look for yourself...Personally, I NEVER get tired of watching this clip. I have an MPEG of it on my computer...

After watching that clip, ask yourself one question...Have Jim Rome and Screech from <i>Saved By the Bell</i> ever been seen in the same room?

17. OT

OT Member

I haven't listened to Rome since the day he made fun of Barclay blowing out his knee in Philly. He made the comment that he probably did it on purpose so that he could get the attention because he didn't have a game anymore and that was the ONLY way he could go out with a bang.

I even turn the dial when one of his commercials come on or his Rome Report.

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I really enjoyed listening to Rome back in 97-98 when he was still raw, and didnt have commercials every 2 minutes (DAMN that is annoying)......

I think "The Last Word" on FXSW is WEAK at best with a capital W. The show isnt half of what his radio show is all about. He tones it down WAAAY to much for TV, and for that I file him as a:

SELLOUT.

Late.

19. Old School

Old School Member

Commercials "every two minutes" ?? I usually listen off and on during the week and they come every 15 minutes.

As for Barkley, I like Rome but he is a hypocrite. He dogged Barkley for years because he blew him off calling Rome the "Village Idiot". Finally Rome ran into Barkley in a Vegas restaraunt and Rome's buddy Don McClean hooked the two of them up. Rome has been on his jock every since once he realized how cool of a guy Barkley can be in person. I heard from a VERY good source that Barkley told Rome "...if your wife weren't here I'd kick your ass...". Funny how Rome left that part of the story out.

Old School

20. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

A-Train --
    Damn, that's a great clip. Too bad we couldn't see Jim beat the **** out of him. Or at least hear more.

Rome looks an awful lot like Steve Gutenburg without the facial hair.