1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ruben Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Timing, Apr 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Timing

Timing Member

I was reading the Seattle Times write up for the game and it says Patterson is a free agent this summer. Why the heck don't we make a run at THIS guy? He's killed the Rockets with his athleticism. He can guard 1's, 2's, 3's, and probably even small 4's. He would also fit in well with our iso style offense and he can REBOUND unlike some other forwards around here that will go nameless. Whether or not we nab Webber, we need an athletic foward like Patterson in the mix.

------------------
    Nobody's entitled to a stupid opinion.

2. Say_Jack

Say_Jack Member

I think Patterson is only 6'5", and I don't think he shoots well enough from the outside to play in Rudy's system. I sure do like the way he hustles though.

------------------

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a VERY strong 6'5'', and has a banger's body. Give him 4 inches, and he's probably a premiere PF in this league. But, he has no shot (and I mean none), and would be pretty useless in our offense. Terrific D.

Might be interesting to note that Fox SW showed Rudy walking to the locker room, and he talked to 2 Sonics: Payton and Patterson.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

4. azns_r_smart

azns_r_smart Member

i definetely agree...ruben would be badass as our SF...he might not be able to shoot outside, but he can definetely put the ball in da basket at any give time..plus he runs/hustles..he'd could keep up wit francis/mobley

------------------

5. Say_Jack

Say_Jack Member

da basket? wit francis? ..... never mind.

------------------

6. Timing

Timing Member

He is listed at 6'5" but he's a big athletic 6'5". I don't think we need him for offense, we don't get much consistent offense from the 3 spot anyway. I just like his hustle and hops. He gets after it out there. We're always in a mismatch situation any time we play teams with good forwards so I figure he'd fit that need pretty well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Timing (edited April 06, 2001).]

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind having this guy. He may be small with no shot, but we get little to nothing out of our SF as it is anyway, and it would really nice to have a SF who could rebound like Patterson, so our guards can release on the fast break. Not to mention that it never hurts to have a guy with a little intensity on the floor. He would bring that.

------------------
    "Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian."
    Lee Simonson

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Get Patterson, can you say Mario Elie?

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

9. Jim1965

Jim1965 Member

It is not nice to use hate terms like that. What if somebody slurred Asians on this board. I will bet you would not be too happy.

------------------
    Bob Rainey is my hero!

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

azns_r_homophobe

------------------
    snap crackle pop

11. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Ruben Patterson:

Currently 15th in the NBA in FG% at 0.489
    Last year: 4th in the league in FG% at 0.536

I have absolutely no idea where you guys cook up the idea he can't shoot. He's a fantastic shooter. Just doesn't have 3pt range.

12. Nolen

I forgot to mention I think he would be fantastic with the team. If we picked him up this summer, I would be psyched. His physical, passionate, above-the-rim game would go with the backcourt perfectly.

13. Band Geek Mobster

Why does everyone point to a person's FG % as a sign they can shoot?

That doesn't say anything. Most of the time, the leader in FG % is some dude that does nothing but layups. Shaq's leading the league in FG %.

Is Shaq a fantastic shooter too?

------------------
    Early man walked away as modern man took control,
    Their minds weren't all the same to conquer was their goal,
    So he built his great empire,
    And he slaughtered his own kind,
    He died a confused man killed himself with his own mind.

14. Old School

Old School Member

Patterson's agent was sitting in Les Alexanders seat last night. He's also the agent of Shandon Anderson.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

15. Band Geek Mobster

BTW I wouldn't mind having Patterson on this team. I'd rather have Eddie Robinson, but Patterson would fit nicely with this team.

16. Nolen

BGM-

Fine. Watch him play. His mid-jumper is sweet. Ugh.
    A 6'5" sf doesn't get 4th in the league FG% by coincidence or hanging around the bucket for easy baskets.
    Or even if so, let's follow your logic- if he gets to the rim that much from the SG or SF position on a healthy ten attempts per game, wouldn't you say that's pretty awesome?

17. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

i think Ruben is part Mario/Ceballos...the kind of guy that is athletic and can make the superstars/scorers' life a lot easier by doing dirty work on BOTH ends.

he shoots a high percentage from the field which is homage to his hustle efforts, producing easy baskets.

i believe we always needed a ceballos-type during our Big 3 days to make the system smoother, to tie up loose ends. in ruben's case, he's both a scrapper on defensive and offensive, something ceballos couldnt do. anyways thats my 2 cents.

------------------
    purvis was never short.

18. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

and no, not all asians are homophobes, let this guy speak for himself.

azns_r_smart - its "azns" like you that make us all look bad. so get some class and at least represent yourself a little "smarter".

------------------
    purvis was never short.

19. Band Geek Mobster

Yes, that would be really nice if he did that. That's why I said I wouldn't mind signing the guy.

My point is FG% doesn't necesarily say whether a guy can shoot or not. Everytime I see Patterson, I don't see him shooting much outside of the paint. I just don't think he's a fantastic shooter.

Good teams need players like Patterson and I'd love to have him.

------------------
    Early man walked away as modern man took control,
    Their minds weren't all the same to conquer was their goal,
    So he built his great empire,
    And he slaughtered his own kind,
    He died a confused man killed himself with his own mind.

20. Timing

Timing Member

Why does azn type in yahoo format? Hey Say_Jack does too.... weird.

------------------