1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rose/Sprewell swap?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drapg, Nov 10, 2002.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Knicks targeting Pacers' Rose for potential trade
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

After numerous offseason scenarios, the Knicks might have zoned in on a possible deal.

Citing two unnamed NBA general managers, the Newark Star-Ledger reports the New York Knicks are targeting Bulls guard Jalen Rose for a possible trade for Latrell Sprewell.

Sprewell has been on the injured list since suffering a broken hand, and although he is eligible for reactivation, he likely won't be in uniform until at least next Tuesday vs. Utah.

"They've had several conversations," one league executive told the newspaper, referring to Knicks president and GM Scott Layden and Bulls GM Jerry Krause. "My sense is that it's sort of a trade of talented undesirables."

According to the report, marching orders for Spree have come directly from the top of the organization, but the Bulls' side of the potential swap is more complex.

After his relationship with Indiana coach Isiah Thomas went bad, Rose was exiled from the Pacers on Feb. 19. Rose didn't agree with the way his role with the team had turned out.

"Jalen is a great talent," the official told The Star-Ledger, "but face it: He's just not an easy guy to play with. We had him here (for 5 1/2 years), and Isiah took the hit for it not working out, but Jalen is high-maintenance."

Now with Chicago, Rose is posting good numbers, but officials in the organization are reportedly questioning if he is the right leader for the team.

According to the newspaper report, Rose's commitment to coach Bill Cartwright's triangle system is questionable. Also, he dominates the ball, which is making the coaching staff wonder if Rose is willing to play with rookie point guard Jay Williams.

Cartwright's frustrations boiled over after Chicago's loss to Boston last Wednesday, when the coach said his team needed "to have guys step up and lead. We're going to find a guy or guys to lead our team." Rose, the team's captain, didn't respond well.

"The thing about being in the NBA is 82-game speeches get old," Rose said. "You don't have to get guys motivated to play with rah-rah. Rah-rah is just that. Anybody can be rah-rah."

Rose is in the third year of a seven-year, $93 million contract and he will make $11.2 million this season. And with Spree slated to make $12.3 million this season, a potential deal is not that far out of reach.

if true, what is Krause thinking? Rose isn't easy to play with? And what, Sprewell is a walk in the park?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

draph,

Ya know I saw this earlier on espn.com. However, I am banned from starting threads so I didnt post anything about it. lol

This trade would be a joke. I always hate the whole "baggage for baggage trade".

If I were Layden. I would hold onto Spree until the playoff picture starts to take shape and then trade him to a contender for a late 1st rounder and another player (who would make the trade work from a salary cap point of view) who is will be a free agent at the end of this season. Its time for the Knicks to rebuild and I think Layden is not willing to accept that.

Also, I cant see this trade happening from Chicago's point of view. They are a young team (Sprewell is 32) and not in a "win now" situation. With all the impresonable personell on their roster, I am wondering if Krause would want a cancer on their roster like Sprewell setting an example for their young kids.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Maybe it has to do with contracts?

How many more years is Spree signed for?

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yeah doesn't Spree's contract run out soonish 1-2 more years, that would give the Bulls some nice cap room.

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Jalen's contract ends 2 years later than Spree's which extends 2 more after this year.

6. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Didn't Peter Vescey report this deal over a month ago?

7. codell

Sprewell's contract ends at the end of the 2004 season. However, big catch. He has a player option which could push it to 3 years instead of 2.

8. drapg

drapg Member

does Chicago really need cap room? Wasn't it just a few years ago they had gobs of cap room and were spurned by every big name free agent? ;)

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Moreover, they have a glut of young players, who they need to play, and decide whether to keep or let go ie. Eddie Robinson, Fizer, Crawford, etc.

The Bulls would be wise to keep the team intact, and decide which young players to keep or let walk.

As far as this trade is concerned, I would trade Rose for Spree, if Rose's contract expires sooner. Neither player will be "the man" by the time Chi goes back to respectability.

10. codell

Thats the thing. Spree and Rose's contracts are equal in overall value. But Rose is a free agent at the end of 2005 but he also has a player option for the next season (Spree is a FA after 2004 with and also has a player option for the following season).

So in essence, the Knicks would be trading a player, who is better than the one that they would get in return, for someone with a longer and slightly more expensive contract.

Only Scotty Layden would do something that stupid.

Hey I guess it could happen. :eek:

11. foodworld

foodworld Member

Right. This article was probably exhumed and rehashed from at least a year ago.

12. drapg

drapg Member

ha ha, funny catch. looks like ESPN fixed it already though.]

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I would do it. Rose isn't gonna help the Bulls young boys develope and if he's in New York, the only person he has to share wth Houston just like he did with Reggie in Indiana. Spree, despite all his problems, is still a good player.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think Rose is a better player than Spree. For the Knicks, this would allow Rose to be the SF, and Houston at SG. Rather than having to play Spree at SF.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with kidrock8.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

this is old news, and hopefully bogus. Spree has 3 yrs/40mil left, I've seen reported.

Rose supposedly POs his teammates (again). But gives the Bulls a chance to win.

Spree? Come to Houston, baby!

17. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Rose is a better player than Sprewell. I don't see how people think not.

18. codell

I still say this trade makes no sense. The Bulls would get a cancer in Sprewell. I wouldnt want young, impressionable guys like Williams, Chandler and Curry anywhere near Spree.

Also, New York would be getting a player with a longer, slightly more expensive contract. If they do pull off the trade, my guess would be that Layden absolutely refuses to rebuild.

If I were NY or Chicago and I really wanted to get rid of Sprewell and Rose, I would root for Portland to have a good season. The reason being is, Pippen's contract is up after this year and I dont see him as a key compenent in the Blazers run (do yall think he is washed up yet?). NY and Chicago should hope that Portland gets a mid to high seed in the Playoffs and that Pippen continues to stink it up. With Pippen being a free agent at the end of this season, plus the fact that his salary is almost a dead match to Rose and Sprewell's contracts, it would be a good trade for all teams. Portland gets a legitimate scorer/go to guy in Rose OR Sprewell, New York would get Spree and his contract off their hands and have cap relief once the season ends. Same thing for Chicago. Not that they need cap room, like drapg said. But Im sure Chicago would love to dump Rose, his attitude and his contract all at once. Hopefully, Pippen would just retire after the season (what a good situation that would be for Pippen ...traded to the team who he helped bring 6 rings)or he would just be an U.F.A. and someone else could sign him if they wanted.

Anyway, thats my armchair GM move of the day.

#18 codell, Nov 11, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2002
  19. drapg

drapg Member

would Pippen want to play for Krause again? I doubt it.

20. codell

Of course not, but he might want to play for a former teamate in Bill Cartwright.

Does Pippen have a no trade clause? If not, Id say he would have a say in the matter. lol

If he does, Id say youre right. That might be a problem.