1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romanowski to the Raiders

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ROCKSS, Feb 27, 2002.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Excellent pick up for the Raiders. Say what you want about him, but he is one heck of warrior on game day.

When he was released by the Denver Broncos last week, Bill Romanowski suggested it might not take him long to find a new job, and it seems the 14-year veteran linebacker was right.

League sources confirmed for ESPN.com Tuesday night that Romanowski and his agents have reached agreement in principle on most key elements of a contract with the Oakland Raiders and, while there remain some details to be completed on the deal, an announcement that he has signed with the team could well come as early as Wednesday. A source close to Romanowski said he "absolutely" felt the deal would be completed.

The Denver Post reported early Wednesday that the contract is for six or seven years and will pay him a $1.3 million signing bonus and a $750,000 base salary this year

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Not surprising that the Raiders would want an ex-Bronco.:p

After all they had Mike Harden, Elijah Alexander, and Tory James play for them. I guess this is a subtle way for Al to "get back" at the Broncos...who knows with him.;)

I loved Romo but he is like 35 and they think that he can play until he's 42?? That is absurd...go ahead and sign him to that contract...I doubt anyone else will top that offer.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's very interesting how many players are exchanged between the Raiders, Chiefs, and Broncos.

This never happend with the Oilers, Browns, and Steelers for example.

4. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I have my doubts about him playing 6 or 7 years also. I do think that for the next 4 years or so he will bring a toughness and no bs attitude. He is just the kind of player Oakland likes. He is mean as hell and a good fit. I think it's pretty smart of Al to get Romo. Weakening a rival and making your defense stronger in the process. Next year is gonna ROCK.

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The contracts given out these days are more to spread the amount out over the life of the contract and ease the cap numbers. Bigger up front bonus, smaller salaries to start off with and then backoaded at the end, which I am sure both parties realize will never amount to anything since the contracts are not guaranteed. Look at the contract Rod Smith signed yesterday, it was like 7 years with a huge bonus, small salary and backloaded.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He and Janikowski should get along fine.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh Good Lord, What the hell are they doing over there.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Agree with you on the first part, but Rod Smith is NOT 35 and his star is on the rise. To sign Romo for this long is at the very least, curious and questionable.

9. Major

Major Member

<B>Agree with you on the first part, but Rod Smith is NOT 35 and his star is on the rise. To sign Romo for this long is at the very least, curious and questionable.</B>

I'm not so sure ... I think what they are doing is this:

Say you want to sign him for 2 yrs / $10MM

In the NFL world, you sign him to a 10 yr deal with an $8MM signing bonus and $200k / year. After 2 years, you cut him.

He gets very close to his $10MM, you get to spread out the salary cap hit over the full 10 years, I think. I don't know all the details because the NFL somehow managed to make a hard-cap into the most complex thing ever, but I think that's the basic logic.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'd like to see him spit in Jerry Rice's face.

:rolleyes: