1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets would be dumb to let Houston sports media/Blogs influence them into trading Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Feb 3, 2024.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Two things.

1) If traded, where ever he goes he will be seeking the max also making finding a trade partner that much more difficult.
    2) If Jalen played real well 60% of next year, I still wouldn't give him anything close to the max.

cml750 likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

"My client is willing to accept a 4-year max contract with the league minimum payable every year and the balance deferred for 19 years."

BallSoHarden likes this.
  3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

""

Darth_Kenobi likes this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

A hit dog (will) holler

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Your Twitter account? Like I said, you are never correct.

cml750 likes this.
  6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I mean my positions are Sengun sucks on defense, everyone knows that. What exactly have I been wrong about? Give me examples

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This. Wrong on this. As per usual

BamBam and cml750 like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

How could sengun suck on defense when he's been part of a defense that's top 10 as the startin center.

Dobbizzle, roslolian and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Oh Senguns a good defender, that's a good one

11. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

You get your defensive rank as a collective unit. The team being top 10 does not mean a every player on the team is good on defense.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Metrics say he’s a solid defender as well.

13. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Oh, i never gave an opinion on his defense, i was only saying that a team being top ranked defensive team does not automatically mean "x" player is good defensively, which was basically the argument the guy tried to make.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No the argument I tried to make was sengun being on a top ranked defense at the very least dispel the notion that sengun suck at defense. There's no way we would b top 10 defense if sengun sucking at defense narrative is tru especially as the starting center

Similar to how folks paint Jalen green as a bad defender, doesn't make sense for the team to b top 10 if green sucks at defense.

#434 DatRocketFan, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

You're a Rockets fan, that alone should enough for you to know that's not the case. The Rockets were one of the top defensove teams during the Harden years and yet, Harden sucked on defense. Theres many more examples.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Harden did not suck at defense only reason folks thought he sucked at it was bc of that video. He is lazy at it but harden was quite solid at it especially at the post.

Sengun does not suck at defense. Having a top rank defense with your center sucking at defense is such an asinine stance to push.

Quite illogical folks this season say sengun sucks at defense, Green sucks at defense. 2/5 of the starters suck at defense yet we have a top 10 defense, yea sure.

17. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Nah fam, he sucked at defense. He wasn't the worst defensive player in the league as people tried to imply, so i agree with you on that. He was a great post defender, we all know, but overall, he was bad. It was lack of effort, but whatever the reason was, it teanslated to him being bad on defense.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I just find the stance that sengun who plays center, one of the most crucial position on defense sucks with green who folks also says sucks at defense yet somehow we have a top 10 defense. U cannot have two out of the five starters sucking at defense and still end up with a top 10 defense, doesnt make sense

Ancient Moabite and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

That's not the original argument. Don't gaslight. Anyways, i just wanted to make the point that a team having a top defense does not automatically mean a specific player from that team is good on defense.

#439 Yinka Dare, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It makes sense when you realize team ranking is just that - a team based metric…and individual defensive skill is a much more isolated view and less useful stat. Udoka has guys communicating well on defense and more switchable defenders this year and that allows them to hide Sengun’s defensive limitations much easier. That’s not to say Sengun hasn’t improved or even that Sengun is a “bad defender” overall but it is to say Sengun still gets cooked fairly easily when on an island with a shiftier guard with range or when trying to guard faster roll men and when teams are able to beat the defensive schemes and get Sengun in those situations, they generally do get points out of them. To the team’s credit, they have done a better job preventing that but we have seen a notable increase in such situations as we have battled injuries or foul trouble that limited the playing time of our better, more switchable defenders.

This has always been my point about Sengun - he can be a part of a good defense,but probably not an elite one unless he improves his defensive versatility and you have to surround him with particular skill sets to make the most out of him and hope you have enough defensive depth to weather injuries…and even then, some lineups will just be kryptonite for him defensively so you hope his offense is exceptional on those nights to overcome the inability to defend those easy Tre/Okangwu buckets or getting rung up by Dame.