1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets release Brandan Wright

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Fat D @DreamShook
    Lining up the hatas

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Um the only worthwhile C out there is Bogut and no one wants his ass.

You guys forget that we've been resting up Nene and sparingly playing Black in preparation for the playoffs.

Y'all need to f'n relax about some freakin backups.

YOLO and D-rock like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

regarding black, we should actually be giving him reps because he's already been looking rusty all season

4. aroundtheblock2

Green is not a high IQ offensive player despite the fact that he can make shots. When the rockets get to the playoffs they'll need higher IQ guys on the floor, aka JJ types. Also, the playoffs will have a slower pace than what the teams playing at faster paces had during the regular season. The pace change to playoffs is a big reason the previous D'Antoni Phoenix Suns teams didn't fare fantastically as each possession became more important, and JJ will be a great fit in small minutes in that role.

34to11 and jboslett like this.
  5. aroundtheblock2

I bet if Wright's knee turns out well going into the offseason that the Rockets will bring him back on a 1-year deal.

RocketsTerps and D-rock like this.
  6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

But his positives far outweigh his negatives. Give me energy and an actual opportunity to score over what JJ brings at this point anyday.

7. aroundtheblock2

Lets be honest, I think people here are biased towards Green because he looks exciting when he makes his 3s and hes from the Houston area, and hes a bit of an underdog story.

At the end of the day Green is not an experienced playoff performer, he's not a smart basketball player (if he was he would have been in the league easily since he was drafted), and he can become a bit of a loose cannon.

You look at the last game against Detroit as a great example of the bias for Green/Anti-JJ on this board.

JJ
    11 points (4/11 FG, 2/7 3PT, 3 REB, 2 STL, 3 PF, 30 min)

Green
    3 points (1/9 FG, 1/8 3PT, 3 REB, 2 AST, 2 STL, 4 PF 22 min)

JJ had a superior performance, but does anyone take notice of this? No. Why? JJ is not high flying slamming home 3s and a local guy. Thats literally it.

Mike D'Antoni knows what he's doing when he plays JJ more than Green. There's a reason JJ has been in the NBA for 15+ seasons and Green has been in and out of the NBA since he came into the league. What reasons do you think those are?

YOLO likes this.
  8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Who needs Lebron when you have LeBryan

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Green was a huge part of Boston’s succes in last years playoffs... and while sure people like green because he is Houston it doesn’t change the fact that JJ is trash and should not be getting meaningful minutes.

Ideally in the playoffs neither of them will be in the rotation in my opinion...

BigShasta likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

huge part? not really. that's definitely false and not even close. he played well in 2 games against the bulls in the opening round. the conference semi finals and finals he was a non factor and in fact lost all the games he played in double digit minutes

11. aroundtheblock2

Green was a part of the Celtics playoffs in a reserve role where he played 15 mpg and averaged 7.5 pts. Joe Johnson literally carrying his team playing 30 minutes a night in the playoffs with the Jazz.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You say that as if we're going to be relying on Black to play 20-25 minutes per game.

That simply shouldn't and/or won't be the case.

13. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

The Brandan Wright era was the best era we have ever seen in Franchise history.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I have a question, I know that Brandan Wright is still rehabbing with the Rockets after being released. Do the Rockets want to still keep him, resign him this season, resign him next season?

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

...This was the Wright move if he’s not going to be ready playoff time.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

But you said Green wasn’t a proven playoff performer and he is... we don’t need GReen or JJ to carry us we need them to be great role players. And Green is more efficient in a limited role. BUT again I don’t think either should be in the rotation come playoff time.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

wait lebryan nash is a real name? :D noooo.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

I agree with you 100%.
    I'm glad to see there's someone here who actually gets it.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to denigrate Green to make Johnson's case.
    Both guys have value that comes with certain limitations. Fortunately it appears the front office and coaching staff understands this a lot better than some fans seem to.

Gerald Green's is one of the best stories in the NBA this year and fans rightfully connect with it. Plus his addition has been an absolute boon for the Rockets on the court.
    However, he is a player who is most efficient and effective in controlled doses.

Joe Johnson has clearly lost a step but he still has experience and savvy that become far more valuable during the post-season. That's where the Rockets primary focus is.
    Allowing him to get in shape now and familiar with the team could prove very beneficial during the Rockets' playoff run, even if some fans cannot appreciate his value now.

I think the whole G.Green vs Iso Joe thing is pointless. Their contributions are not mutually exclusive and pitting them against each other does a disservice to the diverse depth they provide.