1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to target Miami Heat scouting personel

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Highlyrated, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

The more and more I scout the miami heat the more I realize just how good they are at scouting. From Bam to herro ,duncan robinson ,nunn ,and now precious. Whoever it is that is leading the scouting department and some of the associates, they are doing one hell of a job .This past draft they drafted Precious, a 6-9 foward-center that is athletic and has some skill to him. In his last pre season game he scored 13points ,15 rebounds. If harden gets traded to miami ,rockets need to ask for a scout or two in that package. These guys are looking like the astros of basketball with how good they are at Scouting. Or if the Rockets are able to sign some of them when the season is over ,they should definitely look into it.

kevtse, yixiixiy, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Achuwa = Faried

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I didn’t watch any Miami games outside the Bubble. Was Herro good most the season or just the Bubble/playoffs?

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

And Shane Battier as well... @D-rock

D-rock likes this.
  5. Rockets4Life13

This is more about the culture than their scouting. Young players need leaders and accountability. Miami is great at these things.

6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

He was good. If they did a redraft before the bubble he'd probably have gone 4th or 5th. After the bubble he'd have gone third only behind Zion and Ja.

That said, when he was drafted I thought he fell several spots lower than he should have. I don't think it was really finding a diamond in the rough for Miami. Boston would have drafted him with the next pick. I loved him before the draft and all year but think he is kind of overrated now at the moment, though.

Finding and developing Duncan Robinson was definitely amazing scouting/development.

Kevooooo likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Organizing a hit on Miami staff is a bad idea.

8. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Hahahah ,very funny reply, by hit I mean "try to Acquire"

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nah I’m loving Nwaba, Tate, Wood...

BigShasta and 18pbr like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I said this months ago too.

Sign Shane Battier to be President of basketball Operations, same title Morey has with 76ers.

Shane is currently Director of player development and basketball Operations for Heat.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm happy with Stone why would the Rox make him a puppet GM like Elton Brand? We dont even know the extent of power Battier has in Miami there's no way he is the one making decisions over Pat Riley.

This thread is talking about scouting, which is diff from player devt. Player devt is more of training scouting is the one that locates the talent. The scouts would be under director of NBA scouting/Advance Scout rather than pres of bball operations.

https://www.nba.com/heat/contact/directory_list.html

I'm not sure how updated this list is but according to this you got President, GM and Assistant GM before you reach Shane Battier. We dont know the extent of his involvement in terms of scouting and analyzing players besides providing the analytics data.

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Lol

13. rockets13champs

He was good all year

14. rockets13champs

This is the answer OP should be looking for

15. Nook

Nook Member

Well let’s see... the Heat have an owner that will spend money willingly and without question to ensure his organization has one of the best scouting and player development staff and organizations in the league. They spend money on scouts, coaches and on facilities. This is something Daryl Morey attempted to get Alexander and Fertitta to do and both never went through with it.

The Heat ownership identified an opportunity to add an elite basketball leader in Pat Riley and spent the money to get him and to keep him happy. They also do not pry and meddle in the basketball decisions made by Riley.

The Heat also recognized that Riley as a former player and coach had added value and could help set the tone of the organization. The Rockets could bring in such a person, but it would cost the organization millions of dollars a year and Fertitta wouldn’t agree to that. He recently saved 8-10 million dollars adding Silas and Stone. Why pay someone like Van Gundy to be President of Basketball Operations when you can just roll with a GM and promote a couple guys from the non basketball side of the operation to be assistant GM’s and save money.

The Heat under ownership do not have a toxic work environment. They identify people that will fit their culture and as a result almost everyone stays long term. When they do lose someone it is to become a head coach. The Rockets on the other hand lose their GM, HC and two franchise players because the work environment is toxic. You will never see Heat ownership leaking half truth stories to the media about their own players or former employees because they are professional.

The Heat organization has a central philosophy on team building and player development. The philosophy is shared by all the basketball side employees. The purpose of the Heat isn’t to make the owner seem like a swell guy or promote books. It is to appreciate in value by long term winning.

So it isn’t as simple as the Rockets need the Heat’s scouts. The Rockets need new ownership or at a minimum a commitment to spend money smartly, not pry and hire smart people. Fertitta has JVG right in front of him capable of running basketball operations but he will cost him 8-10 million a year.

Shroopy2, malakas, cdastros and 8 others like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Heat are the anti-Knicks

Nook likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Pat Riley knows a little something about basketball.

CCity Zero, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah we get it...rockets owner is poor the rockets are a bottom barrel franchise...poorly ran...all the other blah blah blah you say smh.

Then go to another team or city sheesh man...did somebody on the rockets do something personally to you in someway? Sheesh.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I didn’t say he was poor, Fertitta has the money to spend to bring in the people to improve his basketball team structurally and even from a practice facility stand point; he just hasn’t show any real interest in doing so.

If you want to live in La La land go right ahead but the truth is the truth. The Heat success isn’t because of a couple good scouts, it is because it is an organization that from top to bottom does everything it can to win. The Rockets are not such as organization at this point which is why the Rockets had an exodus of talent.

Sometimes owners (Nuggets) wise up and make a commitment, sometimes they don’t. So the only long term hope is the Rockets make they type of commitment.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

@Highlyrated
    I know it was just a preseason game but check out Strus and Okpala’s lines against the raps their last preseason game.
    I watched the game and both looked really good. They literally picked those two up from no where. Ridiculous

D-rock likes this.