1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Need To Take Zach Edey In Draft!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 22, 2024.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Like I said, I don't mind if we draft him in the 2nd round as a Boban replacement, I just think taking him in the first round would be foolish and taking him at #9 would be utter insanity

roslolian and Williamson like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, that's exactly what the Rockets need. Another big, slow Boban.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Kessler Version 2.0

Round 1 - Pick 9
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Donovan Clingan
    C
    CONNECTICUT • SOPH • 7'2" / 280 LBS
    PROJECTED TEAM
    Houston
    PROSPECT RNK
    7th
    POSITION RNK
    2nd
    PPG
    RPG
    APG
    BPG
    No draft prospect had a better NCAA Tournament than Clingan, whose defensive impact as a shot-blocker and shot-alterer was on full display during UConn's title run. He doesn't yet have the outside game to fit the modern-day profile of an NBA big but he's sure good enough to be a difference-maker defensively already because of his length and timing on that end.

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

One player was significantly better in the tournament and that was Edey. Stats weren’t even close and he outscored him 37 to 11 in the final game.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I watched the purdue vs uconn highlights right after the post not knowing about either, and I was not impressed with Clingan. He's like a Landale minus the offense.

leebigez and Imanimal like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

I think the Rockets draft board this year looks like this:

1A) Alex Sarr
    1B) Donovan Clingan

Kid has a high motor and looks better to me than Kessler. I don't think he's there at 9 though.

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Clingan definitely going top 5. Edey will be there at nine and the Rockets should take the gamble. Not many 7’4” disasters. Even old man Boban still in the league and he contributed when younger.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rox should not take Edey with the higher pick but Edey should buy the Rockets if he ever became a multi billionaire.

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

College ball is a totally different animal from NBA basketball. Bigs can just stand there in the paint all day protecting the rim because there's no defensive 3 seconds, and it's much easier to compensate at the perimeter because the three point line is closer (less spacing) and few opposing big men can shoot it. In other words, perfectly suited for a massive human being like Edey to dominate.

In the NBA, he won't be able to perform his required defensive duties at the perimeter. He's just far, far too slow. Clingan is much more mobile, and his game will translate to the NBA much more easily as a result.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is the annual March Madness that got people crazy but they will come down after 5 months of Offseason......

• He was projected as late 2nd rounder 1 Year before Purdue's tournament run.....
    • one tourney does not make him a Top 10 pick......lmao, it is hysterical.
    • The gripe with Edey is no normal NBA team is going to give him that much Playing time.....

• Once he is not getting PT, he is just projected as Career backup at best.
    • Then he becomes another Boban Marjanovic if he is unlucky. And Boban can actually shoot 3s.

#50 daywalker02, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If he stays healthy, he's going to have a long career in the league. Me personally? I'm going with a shooter in the first round. We already have Alp, Adams and Jock. IF drafting a big, they should try to pick up Adem Bona in the second round.

roslolian likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think one tournament is going to drastically change whoever Edey is and he was viewed as a 2nd Round pick, a later 2nd round pick for 2 years before this year.

At least it should not.........this is some Darko Milicic Bull Shet given that Edey should be better than Darko and Thabeet.

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man that Darko pick! Not as bad as Portland taking Bowie over MJ, but to think Detroit could have inserted Melo into a Billups, Hamilton, Rasheed and Wallace lineup... :eek:

They would have won more than just one.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are more than enough ways to reward a player for a great tournament, money prize for example....But a Top 10 Draft Pick?

Nope.

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I don’t recall either of those guys scoring 40-20 and 37-11 in the biggest games of the year nor do I remember them being back to back players of the year in college.

leebigez likes this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

…..everyone on this board wants the next Jock, Clingan, or Garuba who are “more athletic”…..I am looking for the next Yao Ming. Edey can’t be those other guys, but he’d kick their arses one on one and has the potential to play at a level similar to Ming which works quite well for pick 9. Following the so-called analysts is a way to miss out on the hidden gems like Kawhi Leonard and the “speedster” Jokic who many of you on this board would have mocked if I praised them before the draft.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THIS!!!! I think Next to Sengun . . . .. He'd be great
    SIZE IS BACK BABY!!!
    He can bully some of these stick men
    Steven Adams with some offense .. . .and he can learn from Steven Adams

Rocket River

leebigez and Imanimal like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why do you want 4 centers on a 15 man roster?

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

3 should do.
    Honestly I think of Sengun as more a natural 4
    Adams - Edey - Boban
    Sengun - Tari - Jabari
    Jabari - Whitemore - Dillion
    Green - Dillon
    FVV - Amen

Rocket River

Imanimal likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why is Tari the backup PF and Jabari the starting SF? Jabari is too stiff and slow to play SF he is 6'10 he is a PF/C. It'd be like asking Al Horford to play SF.

Why all this hoopla about Edey if he just plays 10 mins as backup to Adams?

Sengun can def play the PF but if you put him next to a traditional C the spacing will go down the drain and the offense will suck. We have Jabari, Tari, Jeff Green and Whitmore who can all play PF and provide stretch seems dumb to not use them.

There's no twin tower combination now that don't have stretch even Evan Mobley learned to shoot 3s for spacing.