1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets meeting with Looney on Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just think you want to be the guy that drafts Kevon Looney; not the guy who pays Kevon Looney.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And Jimmy Butler. I suspect that the fact is we don't know all of the facts.

macan likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was hoping for jamychal

macan and BaselineFade like this.
  4. mightybosstone

Anyone else think this might indicate that Clint is on his way out regardless of Butler's decision? Could Morey have another deal lined up to get another potential All-Star caliber guy like Love if Butler falls through, for example? It's just interesting to me that Looney is a guy they're targeting on Day 1. I'm not sure you do that with a guy you plan to add as your backup center...

Richie_Rich, RudyTBag and amaru like this.
  5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

This means Capella really is gone and Looney will get paid less to do what Capela did. I’m all in

smoothie and jcmoon like this.
  6. UrbanEnterprise

our offense and defense will suffer without Capela

francis 4 prez likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Looney is not as good as capella but if you can sign him and trade capella for NO first next year I do it. We will then be able to flip that pick at the deadline if we need to. I'm pretty convinced Butler is a long shot at this point.

zcarenow likes this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I bet you Looney's using us as leverage to get a bigger paycheck from warriors.

Iggy pulled the same sht on us awhile back.
    Don't fall for these fker warriors players taking advantage of us.

#68 DatRocketFan, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    shwinn23 and HP3 like this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm guessing we offer him 3 years 18 million, regardless if we get Butler or not, and we trade Clint regardless if we get Butler or not.

If we don't get Butler, that will be our entire taxpayer MLE. If we DO get Butler and therefore become hard capped, that offer will be instead a portion of our nontaxpayer MLE, and we could then spend the rest of the 3.5 million left on that MLE for another player.

I'd make the same exact offer to Noel, Dedmon, Jordan and Brook Lopez as well and just hope one of them takes it.

10. Ratman

Ratman Member

Championship move if we get him.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Agreed with Noel. I dont think we can afford Dedmon or Lopez.

I should have said before that though, we arent trading Capela if Butler isnt coming. There has already been a report on that I believe.

12. blackistan

blackistan Member

Consolation prize for Butler

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I meant that as a good thing. I figured because he was so high in RPM. He was being up stats thus be harder to keep but since his value is now mostly on projection we might have a shot.

Reeko likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we might have a better chance at butler lol

aside from the lux tax, GS still views looney as a core piece going forward. especially since they might lose donkey next summer

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

It will take over 10 million to get him. He is well worth it and is a Capela clone.

16. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Sounds to me like the Capela deal isn’t contingent on JB but rather on KL. If you can flip Capela for a legit wing and sign KL, that’s a huge win.

jcmoon likes this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Giannis and looney are the nicest guys in nba.

18. mastan

mastan Member

Looney is a below average player...Rockets doesn't need another under height player (in this case for center position), It's Golden State and Steve Kerr's coaching that made Looney look decent in the playoffs. Look at the role players that left Warriors in recent years...remember Nick Young who gave tough time to Rockets in 2017-18 playoffs but nowhere to be found the following year.

In order for Looney to shine you need the following:

1. A team like GS where there are 5 all stars in starting five and one ex all star and MVP of final in the bench.
    2. A real coach like Steve Kerr who can play players like Jerebko in playoffs and still can manage win.
    3, Preferential treatments by the officials by virtue of playing with Warriors.
    4. Where SF is almost 7 feet tall.

Rockets have none of the above.

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

This tells me Capela is gone regardless. His playoff dud against the Warriors was the nail in the coffin. Sucks, because I wanted him to retire a Rocket.

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Looney has only played 84 playoffs games in his career. Chris Paul 102 playoffs games.