1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Legend T-Mac Reacts To Rockets Small Ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Feb 25, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jump shooting has nothing to do with having or not having a traditional center. GSW main offense was the 3ball, swinging it around until they got a the best shot. Beautiful basketball, remember?

This was TNT as well as ESPN's mantra before GSW won their first ring. Heck, Barkley maintained that argument even after 2nd ring.

Not talking about "death" lineup or Hampton 5. Notice neither of those nicknames are the snide and disparaging "small ball" variety.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would running 5 out on offense hurt your team in the playoffs?

Why would upgrading your post and perimeter defense at the 5, not work in the playoffs?

If that is going to be a legit take, I want to hear some reasoning behind it. I can't find any. Just people saying, "Hey we haven't seen it yet so it's a legit take!"

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I totally agree that there’s a bias from the media. They love the dubs and will give backhanded compliments to the Rockets all day. I’m not supporting the media in any way.

I’m saying no one has seen what we are doing work before. It’s similar to what the dubs did but to more extremes. There’s no guarantee that it will work. I hope it does

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

You keep fearing, I will keep cheering.

I believe in the 5 Out offense and switch everything defense. I believe in Harden, Russ and RoCo. I believe in MDA, I believe in Morey.

I believe in the Rockets. I believe in love. LOL

DeBeards, Rocket River and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What proof do you have that it will work?

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

A 10 game set? When did I ever say that? Pay attention.

How about 2018 playoffs when Clint was unplayable in the WCF, or the entirety of the playoffs last year?

We have plenty of data to pull from, even back to the 6-4 Chuck Hayes days, so apparently you haven't been a Rocket fan for all THAT long.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I firmly believe that we don’t get a fair shake in the media but damn some of you take the scorned lover **** to another level lol.

Try to look at it objectively. This has a high risk high reward potential.

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Calm down kid, it’s not that crucial. I’m not bashing the rockets so take your “defense” somewhere else.

Did we win in 2018? Did we win with chuck wagon, Scola and Landry?

No team has ever went strictly to a no center lineup for the entirety of a series and half the season. Skepticism should be warranted

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

2018 WCF.

2019 +- with Tucker at C.

GSW +- without a traditional C.

Legit thousands of minutes where we can see that not playing a traditional C is immensely effective If you have elite defenders.

This isn't new.

Boris Diaw at C back in Phoenix, etc.

It is plainly obvious that you do not need to start a traditional C to win a championship. Take your head out of the sand.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I dont like TMac ever since he was interviewed while we were playing LA in the playoffs and he said he thought LA would go all the way. The guy was in street clothes while we took LA to game 7 and effectively gave up on his team while they were playing. F TMac

crose, Nook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus

2018- We lost
    Dubs- played traditional centers during the playoffs and weren’t full time small ball
    Boris Diaw? Really?

Very clear that your fanhood is unrivaled and should be taken as concrete proof. You do you bud

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Same Skills
    Extreme opposites of Will

Tmac don't know **** about planning a 7 game series
    Give him a 3-1 lead . . . .and he still cannot win .

Rocket River

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The classic "We lost so it doesn't work" is, again, the weakest argument that you could possibly present. It's the exact same argument that Inside The NBA on TNT uses for anything and everything.

People used to say the same thing about "Scoring Point Guards", "Jump Shooting Teams", etc.

If you look at the data, specifically Golden State and Houston when they are at their best, it is easy to see that basketball is going position-less very soon. This isn't small ball. This is everyone has to be skilled-ball. We have more than enough size to contest at the rim and defend at an elite level, while also gaining ball control and spacing.

And you still have yet to present an argument for why this lazy take is a legitimate one, with actual basketball analysis. I'd love to hear it.

14. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

i loved it when T-Mac came to Houston, but his exit was hardly gracious. and he's nowhere near Kobe's legacy, although he very much had every right to be. Rocket legend?! Gerald Green bleeds more Rocket Red than McGrady ever will..

Zboy and D-rock like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Listen kid. You have the burden to prove that something that hasn’t been done will work. Not the other way around.

I agree in positionless basketball becoming more prevalent, I believe in switch everything defense, I believe in spacing and scoring in more contemporary ways than the 90s.

Literally all I’m saying is there has never been a team in history that has taken small ball to these levels. If you can’t see why their is skepticism I have nothing else to say to you.

16. caneks

caneks Rookie

another Motherfvckers legend thread.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

2018 - Up 3-2 to arguably the GOAT team, before losing our starting PG.
    Warriors - Not really. The vast majority of their winning happened when the bigs went to the bench. Andrew Bogut playing 4 minutes doesn't invalidate what really happened.
    Yes, Boris Diaw, Shawn Marion, Tim Thomas. A very interesting origin point of success for basketball without a traditional C. You see, I don't read things as black and white. Just because they weren't lucky enough to win a ring, doesn't mean that they don't have a pivotal place in NBA history.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DanAndToni's Suns were hipcheck suspensions away from a championship round

Strangely . . . the NBA/Refs seem to have a mentality of getting the Lakers to a Game 7
    Then try to call it "somewhat" straight
    but
    Cheating a team in previous games f*cks with them mentality and they lose in the Game 7
    I think this is what happened with the Suns that year and the Kings in 2002

Rocket River

DeBeards and RudyTBag like this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

Did you listen to the WHOLE interview?? He was betting on Harden to avg 40 pg. I'm hoping the Rockets get the 2nd Seed but I am curious about the playoffs too. Will we still be able to get points in the paint???

Teams are going to play more zone, teams are going to pack the paint and if the Rockets do not hit their 3-point shots....we're going to be going home early!

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Hear this boy. I believe that The Jump, Inside the NBA, and YOU and many others are the ones with their heads in the sand, based on the success we and others have had with allowing inefficient post-ups and mucking up offenses with full switching, as well as ball control and spacing.

To have an argument that essentially says, "If you don't win a ring, I am RIGHT!", is just lazy analysis.

Back it up with some evidence, or get called out on it.