1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets in a three-way for G. Hill?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bishop, Jun 6, 2001.

1. bishop

bishop Member

I was listening to Sports 610 radio this morning, and Lance Z. was saying he heard some rumors about a possible 3-way trade for Grant Hill. I would love to have G-Hill on the Rockets but already having Steve and C. Mobley on the team, would that take some of Hill's effectiveness away considering he needs the ball in his hands to display his All-Star form? What do you all think, would you trade for Hill? (Keep in mind though, he didnt say what we would have to give up)

------------------
    " the average age just went up by 25 years" c. barkley, when moses malone walked into the room.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Of course I would trade for Hill. He is exactly what we need. A SF who has potential offensive explosion capabilities yet also knows how to pass, rebound, play D, etc. I assume the list of characters we would have to give up is very similar to all the other "dreamcasting" scenarios floating around. I thought Orlando was trying to keep Hill, though, so they could run a Hill, McGrady, Miller set.

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

3. Live

Live Member

I would LOVE to have Hill in a Rocks uni.

But I'm quite sure that any trade involving Hill would involve Francis or Mobley.

Just something to keep in mind.

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I bet it would have something to do with Webber considering it is "a 3-way" with Orlando.

Personally, I'm not sold that Hill isn't an injury waiting to happen.

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did they say the Rockets were the 3rd-Team bystander, or are we one of the primary receiving teams.

We have so much cap room, and teams like us are often used in a three way to make it work. Trading Hill has major BYC complications. Why would we need a 3rd team to make a trade work? We have nothing to offer for Hill.

Grant Hill has a $3m difference between previous salary, I believe. That is why a 3rd team is needed. Also note, we are not under the salary cap, yet, so there doesn't seem like a reason for us to be the 3rd team until we get under the cap.

Again, why would we be involved in a Hill trade? except for helping someone move salary in BYC complications.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 06, 2001).]

6. bishop

bishop Member

I'm sorry, i forgot to add that Webber would be involved but he would be going to Orlando as part of the three-way deal. So, how effective do you think he would be without the ball being in his hands the majority of the time?

------------------
    " the average age just went up by 25 years" c. barkley, when moses malone walked into the room.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I had heard that Hill may be shipped to Sac for C-webb in a sign and trade, but I thought that was too much to give up (by Orlando) in a sign and trade.
    I think it is a possibility that Orlando is shopping him. They already have mcGrady & the ROY who can play the SG & SF. But there is talk that Hill may become at least a parttime PG next year anyways.
    I would love to have Hill on this team, if possible. Also I would argue that Hill is one of a few stars who doesn't need alot of touches to be effective so I think he would work great with Cat & Stevie.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Carroll Dawson isn't sold on Hill being the same player he was before injury, though that could change. I think this is only a scenario that would exist if Webber decides he wants Orlando.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If we are in this Webber 3-way, we don't get Hill, guys, imo.

We probably just take some vet to move salary for Orlando...like maybe Outlaw or Doleac.

If Detroit is under the cap as well, aren't they the ones who are supposed to take Outlaw for Orlando (from the Vanc 18th pick favor)

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 06, 2001).]

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Didnt Doc Rivers say on Tv that he will not trade Grant Hill?

Either way if he does get traded, i dont want him because who knows if he will ever come back to his form. ALA PENNY HARDAWAY

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Any rumors you hear about Hill being traded is just heresy. Doc Rivers has repeatedly stated that he has NO interest in dealing Hill and it hasn't even been discussed.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Damn, Dawson and I think alike! [​IMG] I really think Grant Hill is a terrific player. Honestly, I think he would compliment this team well with his all-around game.

My problem is that I just wouldn't want to take an injury risk. He has always had nagging injury problems and I wonder if that won't continue as he gets older.

Rumors, shrumors. Wasn't Hakeem also going to be traded to Dallas last year? [​IMG]

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

13. Toast

Toast Member

I sure hope not. It would really help Orlando to not only get Webber, but also dump a player who may or may not ever play another basketball season.

Hey, if we were to help Orlando get Webber, I'd hold off for Tracy McGrady. Now THAT would be worth it!

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i would trade for hill, if we don't give up our back-court and he is back to 100% health. the problem is orlando said they will not trade grant.

------------------

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we were involved in a 3-way with Hill and Webber, we'd likely be the team that takes a bunch of role players to even out salaries in the trade...meaning we would not get either Hill or Webber. An injury-free Hill would be great on any team in the league, but I don't think Doc will deal him.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

16. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

I can't imagine the Rockets getting Hill out of the deal. What does Sacramento get? I am sure that something is better than nothing there, but we would have to offer Cato, Williams, and find another salary to make it work, and here is the kicker: they would have to accept it. I can't imagine too many teams doing that. I don't think that Sacramento is that stupid. When we got Cato he still had the "big upside" label, now he has the "potential" label. Those are not the same thing. Potential just means you are lazy and don't work when you have been in the league more than 3 years.

------------------

17. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Hill will not be traded unles he asks to be. If he does, I guarentee that it won't be to Sacremento. He left Detroit last year because he CHOSE the lifestyle in Florida and his family really wanted to be there. IMO, there is no way that he would choose to get traded to Sacremento. There is no way that Orlando would trash the reputation they have built up in the past couple of years of taking care of their players, by shipping out a top-tier FA one year after signing a contract. Grant would raise hell and at that point, I doubt Chris would want to go there.

------------------

18. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>> Rocketsauce <<

I agree with you. Plus, doesn't Orlando supposed to have paved the way for Antonio Davis to land there? Orlando doesn't really need another scorer anyways, T-Mac can fill it up, so can G. Hill and let's not forget D. Armstrong and M. Miller (ROY). Webber's productivity would go down or turmoil would consume the Magic because there would not be enough shots to go around. My two cents.

------------------
    "...Do you hear 'em? They're everywhere!!! AAAHHH!!!"

That's what the other teams will be saying after being shellshocked by Steve Francis and Co.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Im with Sauce. No way Orland messes up its reputation by trading Hill unless Hill says so. And I highly doubt Hill would go to Sactown. I mean the Kings wont be a contender any time soon and the city supposedly sucks.

Besides whats the assurance Webber has that Magic wont trade him in two years to land Duncan? [​IMG]

------------------

20. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

I dont think Orlando would would want to mess up their reputation either. Only if Hill wanted out of there would Orlando actully go through with the trade. If it somehow happened though, and we did get Hill instead of the Kings, he would fit in perfect with Cat and Franchise.

------------------
    "Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt", Shaq regarding Hakeem's play in the 95 Finals